Thread: Welcome To DFS

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Welcome To DFS

You have questions and we got answers. DFS is an inexact science always but in the early parts of a season, it becomes more important to get the jump earlier and earlier.

We are ready to roll so have at it ladies and gentlemen!

Chris
    Keeper of the sacred fantasy hockey word and also a lover of bacon, pork roll, and of course all sorts of line combinations.

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Welcome To DFS

Awesome. I did this a bunch last year with some decent results -- a bit less "strategic" than in baseball or football (where looking at match-ups are far more important than the players you're buying).

Will be nice to hear some thoughts on how folks pick their lineups.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

My only exposure to DFS so far has been the Dobber freerolls last season and I had no success. Is the key to winning basically just looking for the best values on any given night in H2H and then playing the percentages by putting in a large volume of entries in the bigger tournaments?
    CBS 15 Team Dynasty League (keep 4)
    G(3), A(2), PPP(1), SHP(2), DG(+2), DA(+0.5)
    W(5), S(.1), GA(-1), SO(5), OTL/SOL(2.5)

Dress weekly: 6 FW, 3 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Stamkos, Kucherov, Arvidsson, Hischier, Atkinson, Keller, Bjork, Stepan, E. Lindholm

Defense: Karlsson, Klefbom, Ekblad, Dumba, Montour
    Goal: Talbot, Elliott

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post
    My only exposure to DFS so far has been the Dobber freerolls last season and I had no success. Is the key to winning basically just looking for the best values on any given night in H2H and then playing the percentages by putting in a large volume of entries in the bigger tournaments?
    The big tourneys are not the best odds. They are the big paydays though -- so it depends what you're hoping for.
    The 50/50 style games pay little, but they are good ways to learn about how the scoring and things work without losing a lot.
    I like looking at the profiles of H2H competitors and picking ones that have played a lot of football and basketball but little hockey -- so they might not know a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post
    The big tourneys are not the best odds. They are the big paydays though -- so it depends what you're hoping for.
    The 50/50 style games pay little, but they are good ways to learn about how the scoring and things work without losing a lot.
    I like looking at the profiles of H2H competitors and picking ones that have played a lot of football and basketball but little hockey -- so they might not know a lot.

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Nice info Stone.
    Every year... I itch a little to get back into betting... things like taking advantage of the Football stragglers that need to bet on something mid-week, has peaked my interest.

The DFS section needs a Daily Goalie Ranking (once season starts).
    I did a Daily-Goalie-Contest last year, it tought some of us a lot about match-up based goalie picks... which were more popular (and more successful) than simply picking the best goalie, regardless of match-up.

Might be a good way to publicize the DraftKings - to have a daily goalie ranking thread for discussion.
    It'll also help unclutter the general goalie threads which got too littered in past years with the "Who to Start?" daily goalie threads.

I am 100% planning on joining the Yahoo Daily Fantasy, hoping that there is a huge surge of new players with little DFS experience.

Yahoo is offering a 200% bonus on deposited funds.
    Edit, nevermind, the bonus is bullshit lol.

Your Deposit Bonus - the amount that Yahoo matches for your deposit - won't appear as a lump sum. Instead, it will be released in to your Daily Fantasy account at a rate of 4% of the entry fee of each paid Daily Fantsy contest you enter.

Let's say you enter a $25 contest. $1 of the Deposit Bonus will be released into your Daily Fantasy account. You'll collect that Deposit Bonus upon settlement of the contest entered.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    I am 100% planning on joining the Yahoo Daily Fantasy, hoping that there is a huge surge of new players with little DFS experience.
    I was thinking of using Yahoo as well -- any idea if it's open to Canada? I had heard it wasn't initially (and as someone in the US, that would be exciting -- fewer good hockey minds to compete against).

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    I was thinking of using Yahoo as well -- any idea if it's open to Canada? I had heard it wasn't initially (and as someone in the US, that would be exciting -- fewer good hockey minds to compete against).
    I just tried to put money in, got this error:
    User blocked because of user's current geo location

Who can play Yahoo Sports Daily Fantasy?
    Yahoo Daily Fantasy isn't available outside of the United States and paid contests aren't available in the U.S. States listed below

Well, good thing I have lot's of friends in the U.S lol

Dobber Sports Novice

The fun thing for me is I love picking on cash games and H2H's. GPP's or tourney plays can be a lot more difficult just because of variance and yes bad luck too. I am always looking for the stack or mini stacks that allow me to budget different than most.

Something to note: you do not always have to spend to the limit. I hit two Fanduel GPP one timers in the playoffs with a budget that had over $5,000 in cap space.
    Keeper of the sacred fantasy hockey word and also a lover of bacon, pork roll, and of course all sorts of line combinations.

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm excited for FanDuel to get started. Can't wait to see prices.

The key is always finding the bargains to build around. Often, that starts with a backup goalie for me (depending on the team and opponent). Wins are absolutely key -- so getting one cheap is HUGE.
    Then, I look for D-men that get unexpected PP time.

When the values are up, I hope this ends up being a forum littered with undervalued players!

Agreed, STONE!
    Backup goalies are a slam-dunk if you can get them for cheap, there were a couple times last year where the starting back-ups were bumped in value, which sucked!

The biggest thing I learned last season was to pick your entries wisely.
    I actually just downloaded the CSV of my entries from last year to try and find some common indicators.
    During the early stages of the season I entered the same team into 16 different contests, I believe it was this team here (based on an old thread here).

Backstrom - $5,800 - 5points
    Carter- $5,800 - 6points
    Brouwer- $4,400 - 5points
    Ovechkin- $8,600 - 13points
    Toffoli- $4,300 - 8points
    Burns- $4,800 - 4points
    Doughty- $4,900 - 2points
    Quick- $8,000 - 8.2points
    Irwin- $3,300 - 8points

I entered this team into 3 contests where the following places; 140, 160 and 800 were paid.
    I finished 20th, 9th and 78th in that order with the same team. $19 in, $114 out.

I also entered that team into 3 contests where the following places; 8, 1 and 1 were paid.
    I finished 2nd, 1st and 1st in that order with the same team as above. $31 in, $257 out.

I won another 5 and lose another 5 that night, bringing me to 11/16 on the night, with the exact same team.

The contests with MORE contestants still made me great money but more times than not I would lose because the field was too large.
    In contests with 20-30 players my chances of winning seemed to be much higher. I went about 50% on $1 and $2 entries.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Novice

Ahhhh Toffoli at $4300....those were the days! Excellent job!

Chris

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Looking into doing some DFH on draft kings, seems that in that format Dmen with high blocks seem to be slightly undervalued and a good way to save cap space. blocks and shot totals should garner quite a few points, then any goals or assists they get are a nice bonus

• Players will accumulate points as follows:
      • Goal = +3 PTS
      • Assist = +2 PTS
      • Shot on Goal = +0.5 PTS
      • Blocked Shot = +0.5 PTS
      • Short Handed Point Bonus (Goal/Assist) = +1 PTS
      • Shootout Goal = +0.2 PTS
      • Hat Trick Bonus = +1.5 PTS

• Goalies only will accumulate points as follows:
      • Win = +3 PTS
      • Save = +0.2 PTS
      • Goal Against = -1 PTS
      • Shutout Bonus = +2 PTS
    Ten Team H2H, Daily Starts
    G A P +/- PPP SHG ATOI SOG HIT DPts | W SO GAA SV%

F(10):
    D(4):
    UTIL(2):
    G(3):
    BN(2)/IR(1)

Dobber Sports Guru

I set a lineup (and I'll possibly shift some stuff around) for opening night.
    Tough to do on opening night because there are not backup goalies.
    At the same time, early in the season, everyone seems cheap to me. I actually had a tougher time spending money than fitting within the budget.

It's Fanduel:
    Lucic, Pacioretty, Hudler, Gallagher, Plekanec, Monahan, Tanev, Reilly, Price

Hockey scoring at FanDuel is a bit different than Draftkings:
    G = 3
    A = 2
    + = 1
    PIM = .25
    PPP = .5
    Shot = .4

W = 3
    GA = -1
    Sv = .2
    SO = 2

So, having a team that puts up points is key (for +/- especially). And teams that put up shots are nice as well.
    That's why I'm stacking Canadiens (against the Leafs) and Flames (against my Canucks) -- looked for cheaper PP D as well.

Gues I'll see how it goes!

I have a couple different lineups in for opening night, went with a heavy MTL with random players; a CHI w/ randoms and SJS w/ randoms.
    Probably going to do one with a TOR goalie, 50 saves against MTL maybe?

The $3 entry for the $100k in prizes will be popular but guys will enter 50+ teams per account, you'll need the perfect roster and will need to edge someone by .05 points lol

Some cheaper guys I plugged in here and there:

Panarin - $3,700
    Anisimov - $3,600
    Petry - $3,100
    Emelin - $2,600
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot