Thread: Who do I take 1st overall?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Who do I take 1st overall?

Hey, I am in a new Keeper league, I have the 1st overall pick and I can't decide who to take.

It is a keeper with salary cap so take that into consideration.

league breakdown is below:

14 team league H2H stats are below
    G A P +/- PPP SHP GWG HIT W GAA SV% SHO

Crosby? Ovi? McDavid? Tavares?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Who do I take 1st overall?

Welcome to the forums.

I would take Crosby. Don't worry about salary as much with your early picks. Just try and get the best possible players early and start to focus on salary a few rounds in.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

I would take Crosby. Don't worry about salary as much with your early picks. Just try and get the best possible players early and start to focus on salary a few rounds in.

Yeah i was thinking of taking Crosby and maybe trading him for a haul after the draft- Ovi came into mind just becaus eof the Hit stat and then of course McDavid is ridiculous

thanks for your input

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm in two new pools that started this year. In one, McDavid wasn't included as we had a separate draft for prospects. The top 10 there was Tavares, Ovi, Benn, Price, Malkin, Holtby, Seguin, Crosby, Stamkos, and Karlsson.

In another league, the top 10 was McDavid, Crosby, Tavares, Seguin, Ovi, Giroux, Stamkos, Price, Benn and Tarasenko.

I’d choose Crosby personally, but it might be fun drafting McDavid and seeing what he can do for the next 10 years. It would be like choosing Crosby in brand new keeper pools in 2005 instead of established stars like Sakic, Naslund, Kovalchuk, Jagr and Sundin.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Star

Welcome to the forums!

I would probably take Crosby here, but McDavid would be a really fun pick too (and a bit cheaper too)!

And don't worry about salaries in the earlier rounds, take the best players available.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Two options - Depends on what your gut says how the others in the league will draft. As it will 26 picks between your 1st and 2nd pick.

Option 1 - Draft Crosby and a bunch of other veterans in a win-now mode. (This is if you think lots of people will build young teams trying to win in future)

Option 2 - Draft McDavid and a bunch of other young future starts. (This is if you think lots of GMs will want to win in year 1 or 2)

Dobber Sports Giant

Crosby, Tavares, McDavid in that order.

You have the 1st; you take Sid
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Nobody is going with Ovie here? I think he's the one i go with. The league has hits and GWG which means that Ovie stands out a little extra. SOG would be the clincher but this isn't a cat, however, he's the clear winner in at least 3 categories and is on par with many others for another 3.

Is Kessel the reason that Crosby is going to outpoint Ovie? It's possible but Kessel means that Crosby gets assists instead of goals.
    League 1: 12 teams (drafted 10th) - Standard public Yahoo league - G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG - W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Legend

JRA

If you're planning to be in this league for 2-3+ years, take McDavid. If not, take Crosby.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd take McDavid. You don't even have to focus on going young after him, because he'll produce like a top tier guy in year two or three, anyway, and he's still likely to give you a very solid year one, as well.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Boogeypop View Post
    Nobody is going with Ovie here? I think he's the one i go with. The league has hits and GWG which means that Ovie stands out a little extra. SOG would be the clincher but this isn't a cat, however, he's the clear winner in at least 3 categories and is on par with many others for another 3.

Is Kessel the reason that Crosby is going to outpoint Ovie? It's possible but Kessel means that Crosby gets assists instead of goals.

That's a good point. I tend to agree with your train of thought. Who doesn't count SOG anyways? Lol...

Dobber Sports Stud

How many goalies do you start? Is it a snake draft? Assuming you start two goalies and assuming it's a snake draft, I go with Price. Because every single decent goalie will be gone by the time you pick again. And you won't have much of a chance if you can't compete in 4/12 categories.

Dobber Sports Expert

In a salary cap league that is also a full keeper the pick is McDavid and i donīt care if i win season 1 if i got the dynasty going afterwards.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.