Thread: Ian Cole a good buy at 2.1 mil?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Ian Cole a good buy at 2.1 mil?

He has 3 years on a contract that gives some security and stability. He keeps a low hit especially as the years progress and I need money to sign Kucherov. He performed well in the season and playoffs, especially with more ice. The question is Ian Cole a solid bet for 30 points a year? Is he a good buy at 15 points per million for D?

There is not much in free agency with a low contract (2mill or less) and I do not pick till 19th overall so the good will be gone. Combined with Merrill as the everyday roster player, Cole looks like a keeper. But there is that nagging thought he gets buried by the other D talent and plays 3rd line for 20 points a year.
    Salary Cap League - 13 Teams
    Cap: 83.5 Million
    Roster: 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 C, 2 Wing, 1 Forward, 4 D, 1 G, 5 Bench, 7 Farm
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

C: Crosby, Pavelski
    F: Mercer
    LW: Guentzel, Kaprizov
    RW: Kucherov, Marchessault
    W: E. Kane, Perron
    D: Q Hughes, Bouchard, Addison, Sandin
    G: Shesterkin
    Bench: Raanta, Rossi, Guhle, Garland

Farm: Soderstrom

Free Agents: Maccelli, Newhook, Gudas, Carrier, Kyrou, Gustafsson

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Ian Cole a good buy at 2.1 mil?

If you are talking about the team in your signature (where you have Carlson, OEL & Vatanen), I think Cole, as your fifth dman, is a decent acquisition at 2.1 million for the next three years. I don't know what your salary cap is, but I suspect that Cole's contract won't break the bank.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the reply, Rep given.

It is my team in the signature, yup. I am looking at Cole to be more of my 4th Dman as he should (he better if I sign him) put up better numbers than Merrill. Plus Merrill I can send to the farm without waivers as he is an entry level contract. With Cole in the lineup I have about 2.7 million in cap space for the year.

Any options for a similar contract Dman that is not your typical known defense? A below the radar guy like Cole?
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by horseflyhab View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Rep given.

It is my team in the signature, yup. I am looking at Cole to be more of my 4th Dman as he should (he better if I sign him) put up better numbers than Merrill. Plus Merrill I can send to the farm without waivers as he is an entry level contract. With Cole in the lineup I have about 2.7 million in cap space for the year.

Any options for a similar contract Dman that is not your typical known defense? A below the radar guy like Cole?
    Some leagues have completely forgotten that Dmitri Orlov exists. He should play in the NHL this season and get some 2nd PP time. Orlov's left-handed shot helps; he doesn't fight against Carlson and Niskanen but instead against Alzner and Orpik who don't have much offensive skills.

Orlov's career numbers so far are pretty good:
    AHL: 12 goals and 47 points in 79 GP
    NHL: 6 goals and 31 points in 119 GP
    KHL: 7 goals and 21 points in 101 GP
    MHL: 16 goals and 32 points in 25 GP (regular season + playoffs)
    WJC-20: 1 goal and 13 points in 13 GP

And he's still only 24 years old. It will be interesting to see how he bounces back after missing pretty much the entire season but he's worth a shot.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Some leagues have completely forgotten that Dmitri Orlov exists. He should play in the NHL this season and get some 2nd PP time. Orlov's left-handed shot helps; he doesn't fight against Carlson and Niskanen but instead against Alzner and Orpik who don't have much offensive skills.

And he's still only 24 years old. It will be interesting to see how he bounces back after missing pretty much the entire season but he's worth a shot.
    Orlov is a good choice. Another decent under the radar blueliner might be Matthew Dumba. He played really well down the stretch last year and into the playoffs. Nobody else on the Minnesota blueline, not even Suter, could be considered a top tier power play guy. Dumba may be the best to fit that bill.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post

Thanks, Rep given. Good thought. I got all excited when I looked him up and saw that he only makes 2 million and it is only for this year. Would give me more flexibility for the next year. Then I checked our league rosters and of course he is already signed. Perhaps he is a trade candidate though.

Was surprised to see that Dobber had him in line for only 17 points though, especially with getting some power play time that Cole is not predicted to get.

The search continues...

Administrator

Was surprised to see that Dobber had him in line for only 17 points though, especially with getting some power play time that Cole is not predicted to get.
    Did you get the Fantasy Guide? Dobber does not have him in line for 17 points.

Also, Cole will not see any PP time unless there are injuries. Even then it'll only be PP2.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Did you get the Fantasy Guide? Dobber does not have him in line for 17 points.

Also, Cole will not see any PP time unless there are injuries. Even then it'll only be PP2.
    It would be silly of me to not get the fantasy guide. I am looking at it right now and Dmitri Orlov on Washington is listed at 64 games, 4 goals, 17 points and 8 PIM. He also has him with some second line PP time.

Cole on the other hand is listed at 68 games, 5 goals, 24 points and 60 PIM. He is not listed as having any power play time as I mentioned.

Am I missing something here or are we looking at something different? Not sure what advice you are trying to give me either. Maybe tell me what Dobber has Orlov in line with if I have it wrong, than just telling me I am wrong. Not a lot of help there.

Administrator

It would be silly of me to not get the fantasy guide. I am looking at it right now and Dmitri Orlov on Washington is listed at 64 games, 4 goals, 17 points and 8 PIM. He also has him with some second line PP time.

Cole on the other hand is listed at 68 games, 5 goals, 24 points and 60 PIM. He is not listed as having any power play time as I mentioned.

Am I missing something here or are we looking at something different? Not sure what advice you are trying to give me either. Maybe tell me what Dobber has Orlov in line with if I have it wrong, than just telling me I am wrong. Not a lot of help there.
    You're right. Thought you were talking about Cole. My bad. I agree that Orlov's projection might be a bit low.

I'm not too high on Cole personally but if he's the best option available you might as well grab him. I wouldn't expect any significant production though.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'd take a flyer on Y Weber if available over Cole
    12-man salary cap roto keeper league, 25 roster spots & 8 farm (12 F, 6D, 2G active - max 82GP/spot) - 83M cap, real AAV - G/A/P/PPP/SOGs/Hits/PIM W/GAA/SO
    F: Giroux, Little, Steen, Downie, Perron, Hudler, Bouma, Rinaldo, BSchenn, MKarlsson, Nelson, Spooner, Pastrnak, Bjorkstrand, Panarin
    D: Markov, Sekera, Klingberg, Boychuk, Brodie, Karlsson, Reilly
    G: Miller, Howard, Mrazek
    Farm: Petan, Hellebuyck, Goldobin, Werenski, Beauvillier, DeBrusk, Rychel, Kyle Connor

The Great One

Cole looked fantastic at the end of last year, but of course that is when a zillion other D were down for Pittsburgh. I'm not confident he'll have the same roll this year, with healthy bodies back.

While Orlov has a lot of questions, I'd personally gamble on him over Cole. For whatever it's worth, that's coming from someone who owns them both in a 24 team cap league.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Both Orlov and Weber are signed to other teams.

What about an internal alternative? Am I better to keep Gormley as a free agent and hope for some improvement there than keep Cole? I would also save 1.2 million for this year's salary keeping Gormley. Of course I would then have two Dmen from that powerhouse Arizona team.