Thread: First fantasy football draft - Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default First fantasy football draft - Thoughts?

So I completed my first fantasy football draft last night, and just curious for some feedback on weak points and things like that.
    Standard 10 team Yahoo public league. I picked third.

QB - Aaron Rodgers
    WR1 - Randall Cobb
    WR2 - DeSean Jackson
    WR3 - Keenan Allen
    RB1 - Jamaal Charles
    RB2 - Mark Ingram
    TE - Jason Witten
    BN - Giovani Bernard
    BN - Jonathan Stewart
    BN - Jeremy Maclin
    BN - Colin Kaepernick
    BN - Heath Miller
    BN - Kenny Stills

K - Justin Tucker
    DEF - Baltimore

Thanks for any input!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: First fantasy football draft - Thoughts?

Looks good. In a 10 team league, I wouldn't bother with 2 TEs unless you were balancing out reliable-if-unspectacular with upside, but both your guys are of the former. I also wouldn't bother with 2 QBs, it isn't like you are ever going to bench Rodgers for Kaepernick based on match up. I would look into dropping Kapernick and Miller for players with potential on the waiver wire (of which there are probably several in a 10 team league).

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I definitely agree.. You do not need two QB's or TE's in a 10 team league. Those positions can be streamed when in need to fill for the bye week!!

There has to be better players on the waiver wire then K.Stills, I would look to replace him.. Who are some of the names that can be had on the waivers??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Agree w/the others. Drop Kaeper and Miller. Witten is going to have a big year as Dallas will look to pass more. Maclin may very well have a better year than most thought, and could be a better WR2 than DJax. IMO DJax is a better bench guy at this point. At least until Washington's QB situation shakes out. Love your RBs - great depth too.

Is this a ppr league?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Appreciate the input guys. Being a complete football novice I wouldn't know what names to even show you guys to get a good response. Would it make sense then to grab another team D and a WR or two for the drops?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Appreciate the input guys. Being a complete football novice I wouldn't know what names to even show you guys to get a good response. Would it make sense then to grab another team D and a WR or two for the drops?
    No. Only one team-D. Load up on WR and RB, You will need the depth as the season goes deep. Is this a PPR league?

EDIT:

Possible running back options: Reggie Bush, Woodhead, Deangelo Williams, Matt Jones, Zach Zenner, Sims, Terrence West

Possible WR options: Funchess, Wheaton, Eddie Royal, Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Coleman, Donte Moncrief
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    No. Only one team-D. Load up on WR and RB, You will need the depth as the season goes deep. Is this a PPR league?

EDIT:

Possible running back options: Reggie Bush, Woodhead, Deangelo Williams, Matt Jones, Zach Zenner, Sims, Terrence West

Possible WR options: Funchess, Wheaton, Eddie Royal, Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Coleman, Donte Moncrief
    I'm not sure what PPR means, sorry.

Really appreciate the names though, I'll take a gander and see what is available!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Bomm's list is good. If you want to post a few names, you can always rank using the Yahoo % owned stat (that will give you a sense of some of the top players available, at least according to the Yahoo masses) or look up the list of popular adds (under research, I think?) for the more buzz-worthy players.

But if you are worried about being overwhelmed with player news and debates about who to start week in and week out, both of the your top RBs have high-upside handcuffs in Knile Davis and Khiry Robinson. Grabbing them might not be the flashiest move, but it might be the safest.

EDIT: PPR means point per reception (in league scoring), but I'm not sure yahoo public leagues allow it.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Swels Stewart View Post
    Bomm's list is good. If you want to post a few names, you can always rank using the Yahoo % owned stat (that will give you a sense of some of the top players available, at least according to the Yahoo masses) or look up the list of popular adds (under research, I think?) for the more buzz-worthy players.

But if you are worried about being overwhelmed with player news and debates about who to start week in and week out, both of the your top RBs have high-upside handcuffs in Knile Davis and Khiry Robinson. Grabbing them might not be the flashiest move, but it might be the safest.

EDIT: PPR means point per reception (in league scoring), but I'm not sure yahoo public leagues allow it.
    That was a pretty succinct summary of some decent strategy to look at. They aren't kidding when they say fantasy football takes the most thought.