Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015/16 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: 2015/16 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Since draft is almost over, here was what I pre-wrote:
    Peng’s Draft Manifesto

Going into the draft, always good to have a plan – here it is:

1. Be wary the Temek. The force to be reckoned with in this league is Temek, who not only has great strategy & number skills but a great hockey sense. He drafts twice inside the turn of my picks – so I must “reach” for under-ranked players on my ODD round picks and also watch his roster to see what positions might slide past him & other “insider pickers” in later rounds.

2. Eff the goalies. Unless Price falls to me in the 1st round at pick #9, I’m not touching a goalie for the first 8 rounds. I’m going to hammer away on skaters. I believe there is that rising goalie every year – and I just have to identify him before others. Last year, it was Dubnyk & Hammond. Had I scooped Dubnyk (he went to MIN on my effin car drive home), I would have won the league.

3. Deplete the centers. I tried this tactic last year and it worked very well. There were scraps left for FOW and some teams were left choosing between inferior guys with FOW (i.e. Bozak) or good scorers at center that might not get FOW (i.e. Brock Nelson). Either way, I want my 4C to be legit boss players. And we do roster 12F this year… which raises the value of top end forwards as compared to previous years.

Round-By-Round Strategy.

Round 1 (009) & Round 2 (016).

Always map out your first two picks. Here are mine: 1.OV, 2.Crosby, 3.Tavares, 4.Giroux, 5.Seguin, 6.Benn, 7.Stamkos, 8.Price, 9.Pavelski, 10.Malkin, 11.Byfuglien, 12.Karlsson, 13.N.Backstrom… 14.Getzlaf, 15.Johansen, 16.Subban. I love the top 13. If I’m lucky, people reach for Holtby, Lundqvist, Bishop, and/or Quick and I get two from my top 13. The big risk is that if I let Pavelski (Yahoo #20) slide, I might not get him. He’s a top 10 player in fantasy each of last two seasons and I have him top five with FOW from the LW. Joe Pavelski is gonna be there at #9… and I’m going to feel like I have to take him in front of Malkin & Buff. As a prediction, I’ll say that Temek ends up getting Buff/Backstrom at the 12/13 turn. Buff (my #11) was there at #16, so I took him.

Round 3 (033) & Round 4 (040).

If the fantasy gods truly love me, one of Getzlaf/Johansen will slide all the way here. They likely won’t but I’d still like to get a D-anchor and another wing-eligible center. For D, I’m hoping either Weber/Letang/Burns are here. I have them all as top 21 skaters… and it feels like there is a drop off from the top six (excl. Shatty & Gio). For forwards, I’d love to get Backes (C/RW) or Couture (C/LW), but I’ll settle for the ever-steady Zetterberg (C/LW – Yahoo 36). If those options are all gone, I’ll look to Blake Wheeler (RW – Yahoo 56), who should be there but certainly won’t slide past Temek. MaxPac is another option… but I just hate drafting injured players.

Round 5 (057) & Round 6 (064).

Obv, all of the previously mentioned players (PMP) are desirable… if they slide. Both Doughty & OEL will be on my radar here if they are still here. But the guy that alludes me every year is Alex Steen – who finished ranked as #37 & #32 overall the last two years. He’ll also throw in some token faceoffs. If he’s there at 57, this is the guy I’m taking. In just about every mock draft I did, Andrew Ladd (LW – Yahoo 66) was one of the best value guys I always took. I’m not sure he’ll last past Temek, but he’ll likely slide past everybody else. I’ll take him in round 6… if he’s there. If not, hopefully a PMP. Two guys that I’m more than willing to reach for here: Jeff Carter (Yahoo 112) or Ryan Kesler (Yahoo 113). Both are C/RW and will gain me FOW from the RW. Carter was standard Yahoo ranked at 57 & 64 the last two seasons, so he’s fair value at this point. I will let him & Kesler go (/slide, *fingers crossed*) if a PMP is there.

Round 7 (081) & Round 8 (088).

Without fail, Round 7 & Round 8 are typically the last two rounds where I can hold to my “manifesto” / plan. After this, there’s been enough random reaches & slides that it all goes out the window. Ideally, I’m hoping for a PMP still here: Carter or Kesler or Duchene or Datsyuk. If they are all gone though, I have no problem reaching for TWO players at C-only to deplete those ranks. Both the NYR C1 & C2, Stepan and Brassard, should be top 40 skaters in this format with the NYR + and many FOW. I also expect Keith Yandle to really lift the NYR PP. If all the PMP are gone, I’ll reach for both. Other players I’ll draft if they are gone: Patric Hornqvist (Yahoo 118), Scott Hartnell (Yahoo 138), Ondrej Palat (Yahoo 106). In the off chance the sniping is full tilt and all PMP are gone… Brandon Dubinsky (Yahoo 180).

Round 9 (105) & Round 10 (112).

It’s time to look at some goalies here, with two things in mind… they’ll either be there… or they won’t. Sounds obvious, duh! But if they are not there it means that goalies have been SO picked dry that many of the PM above are still there – and I want them. Possibly even one of my fave sleepers, Radim Vrbata (Yahoo 119) might still be there. I draft Vrbata, criminally underrated, in all pools… but I hate drafting wingers that don’t either FOW or HIT… and this is why I don’t even consider guys like Kessel, Pat Kane, or Taylor Hall. There are six team tandems I like this year: DAL, STL, DET, CGY, WPG, SJ. With DAL/STL/DET… if they are there, I’ll draft both here. With CGY, WPG, SJ… I’ll draft just the main guy (Hiller, Pavelec, M.Jones) and hope I can value-draft the back-up later. I’m also keeping my eye on Cam Talbot. Being a league that counts SV… I have no problem targeting the shitty goalies who get shelled… Toronto included – but I won’t draft those guys now. [POST DRAFT NOTE: I went with Stepan... and realizing I hadn't any other C only - reached for Nick Bjugstad, naming my team Bjoogeymen.

Round 11 (129) & Round 12 (136).

Again, I’m looking to have 1 or 2 goalies by this point… and if by chance there’s still a tandem to draft, I’ll do it with two picks. If I’m targeting skaters, I must remind myself: PPP… PPP. This is the fastest category to run out. I can always get PIM & HIT & BLK & FOW & SOG later… on the wire… but PPP, it just runs out, so I shall remember to sort by it. If I’m lucky, a PP1 QB like Andrei Markov (Yahoo 127) or Mark Streit (Yahoo 130) or Niklas Kronwall (Yahoo 142) is still on the board. I’ll hedge “NO” though. And he won’t SORT high, because of injury, but Nick Bjugstad (Yahoo 144) will likely be at the top of my skater list. Two guys I’m especially keen on the young Bjug and Mika Zibanajed, who as OTT’s C2 are two young FOW taking centers that HIT. Even though Zibby is at Yahoo! #264, his FOW from the RW make him insanely valuable here and I will reach bigtime to land him. [POST DRAFT NOTE: Henrik Sedin and Mike Green still on the board, didn't expect that, thank you ma'am.]

Round 13 (153) & Round 14 (160).

Cam Talbot (Y 162) and Tomas Plekanec (Y 170) are two players I don’t expect to be here at this point, but if they are I will target them before they are too closely “on the draft screen” of others. Two more centers I’ll look to are David Krejci (Y 183) and Mike Ribeiro (Y 227). Yes, I feel dirty considering Ribeiro, but there’s no denying his draft-value at this point. Pominville (Y 179) & Abdelkader (Y 223) are also ranked much, much too low. Andrej Sekera as EDM PP QB1 at Yahoo 182 is a steal too… though I’m not sure he’ll be here. If I need a D, I’ll target him.

At this point, I’d expect some guys have fallen and some PMP are still on the board that I’ve mentioned in previous rounds. If by chance not, I might have to reach for Sam Gagner (Yahoo 310) who I think will be playing C3 for Philly this year and would be my 3rd RW. This might also be a good season for Nino Neiderreiter (Yahoo 265). Valtteri Filppula at Yahoo 175 is a nice player for FOW from LW. Y203 Nazem Kadri should have a solid year. Y181 Carl Soderberg may open as Colorado’s C2… and that would also be a ton of FOW from the LW. Y201 Paul Stastny is MUCH TOO LOW here, I’d love to steal him.

[POST DRAFT NOTE: Drafted Zibanajed here, couldn't wait with guys being reached... and took my first goalie, Hiller.]

Rounds 15-25:
    I have an enormous list of value-players here… incl. 196. J-Wiz, 205.Edler, 213.E.Lindholm, 214.Dano, 222.Chara (while healthy), 223.J.Johnson, 232.Niskanen (incr. PP time), 263.C.Franson, 273.Doan, 297.Boedker, 300.Myers, 302.Del Zotto, 332.Bogo, 341.J.Staal, 357.B.Jenner, 426.Beauchemin, 442.Hanzal, 459.M.Stone, 531.Lovejoy, 533.Gudas, 573.Dupuis, 646.Nichushkin.

The finished team, Bjoogeymen.
    C(4): Stepan(9), Bjugstad(10), H.Sedin(11), B.Sutter(21)
    LW(4): Pavelski(1), Zetterberg(4), Steen(6), Hartnell(8)
    RW(4): Kesler(7), Zibanajed(13), Gaborik(17), Niederreiter(19)
    D(6): Buff(2), Letang(3), Doughty(5), Green(12), Sekera(20), Beauchemin/stream(24)
    G: Hiller(14), Mrazek(15), Pavelec(16), Hutchinson(23)

Bench: Drouin(22) & Dano(18)* he'll have to wait for W-eligibility before I use him,

Projected finish: 2nd.
    Love my skaters, as I usually do... but the goalies are a huge wild card.
    I've got 82 WPG starts behind a great WPG D... other 82 need to come from Hiller/Mrazek... I think there's enough there, question is whether SV & SO and peripherals will be there.

Dobber Sports Stud

Awesome stuff Peng.

Perhaps the difference between your "manifesto" and my "plan" is also going to be the difference between the depth of our teams haha.

So after frustratingly being shut out of the draft due to tech difficulties, I have some time to post some thoughts I had going in... which obviously couldn't come completely to fruition since I couldn't "read and react" as the draft unfolded.

But based on where I was drafting, I had the following plan:

1) In the early rounds, grab 2 starting G. Rask and Schneider were the two I had targeted... ideally for rounds 3 and 4. After auto-picking Rask in the 1st, I absolutely would have taken Schneids with #3. Alas, it didn't play out that way and the killer then became, the bulk of other goalies I'd pushed WAY back in my draft order, feeling pretty certain I'd get 2 in the first 3-4 rounds. Couldn't adjust though.

2) Load up on D. This actually did sort of happen with the auto-draft but of course, I wasn't really keen on using all 6 of my D picks that early. Had grouped some value guys together on my pre-draft to have them in mind... and not surprisingly they were ALL available because of that. My strategy behind this is primarlily because I'm new to the Yahoo platform - and was blown away at how many forwards have multiple position eligibilities. When I ran my list, I found really solid depth across all 3 F positions (due to the eligibilities) and felt that I could mine some strong value picks later in the draft.

3) Find the "hidden" value guys based on Y-rank and grab them on an as need basis. Zibanejad was a guy I too was VERY interested in... nice grab Peng. FOW from the wing of course was a target and I felt I could grab some high-upside scorers with blemishes (Yakupov, Skinner, Hertl, etc.) later on. Based on how the draft played out, I think I might have been able to accomplish this had I been live drafting.

4) Pay close attention to how Temek was drafting in the early rounds to see if I needed to adjust my 1st pick before the turn. (Sort of exactly what Peng was doing but I was right before/after him so it was critical that I didn't lose a guy I really wanted 1 or 2 picks ahead of time).

Obviously have a TON of work to do to straighten out my squad, but aside from a few guys I should have completed taken off my list (won't mention them as they'll look fantastic on YOUR teams - I did accomplish some of what I set out to do... just with ZERO artistry.

Apologies guys for not being able to be in there live with you - looking forward to an awesome year!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Master

I am totally "effed" in the FW department. Wasn't paying attention to that until too late. I did get Bergeron, but that is it. damn. Maybe someone willing to make a deal there...

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

Oh, and I changed from "Stepan's Labyrinth" to "Let the Right Muzzin" as I did manage to grab Jake Muzzin, and didn't want the Curse over my head all season. LOL!!!

F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti

Dobber Sports Icon

Another amazing draft has come and gone! At first glance I'm pretty happy with my team, but I'll sit and break it down anyway. I was picking second.

1 (2) - Sidney Crosby - With Ovie off the board, how do you pass up Crosby. The thoughts of he and Kessel having chemistry make me feel a little better about this, but I'm still wary after trading Tavares/Fleury for him last year which didn't pan out. For that reason, he's going on the block right away to see where I might be able to improve.

2 (23) - Jonathan Quick - Was planning to target Rask here but he surprisingly went first round. Tough choice between Quick, Bob and Fleury but overall not a bad pick.

3 (26) - Jakub Voracek - Hard to believe he fell to the third round. Had planned on snagging Backes with my 2nd or 3rd but couldn't leave Voracek on the board.

4 (47) - Patrick Kane - The legal troubles make this a potential risk, but well worth it given his offensive potential. Patrick Kane late in the fourth round? I'll take that every time!

5 (50) - Victor Hedman - I didn't want to wait this long to get a D-man but was surprised at the quality still on the board. It came down to Hedman or Shattenkirk. Hedman is the more productive and we have IR spots. Plus he provides grit that I'm seriously lacking so far.

6 (71) - Filip Forsberg - Gotta select grit! Gotta select grit! (Dubinsky, Lucic, Ladd, E Kane, Foligno all go) FORSBERG IS STILL AVAILABLE?!?!?! This guy has serious potential to be a top-10 scorer in the league and I landed him in round 6. Plus he isn't a slouch on the peripherals.

7 (74) - Alex Pietrangelo - Needed another D-man and with Josi gone, he seemed like the best remaining.

8 (95) - Steve Mason - I was hoping to get the St Louis tandem with rounds 8/9 but Elliott was already gone. Mason may not rack up a lot of wins this year, but his peripherals will be solid.

Round 9 landed me Tyson Barrie which was fair value I think. Bobby Ryan and Chris Kunitz provide solid value in rounds 10 & 11. Decided to target the Dallas tandem of which I believe Niemi will get the bulk of the starts. But with Krejci still on the board and my lack of Cs I had to grab him in round 13.

I reached for Nichushkin in Round 14, but I doubt he would have lasted much longer.

The following rounded out my draft which was solid. No huge reaches but not much in the way of homerun potential either. Plotnikov or Kuemper could be but they could also easily become waiver fodder in the first month.

15. (170) Brad Marchand (Bos - LW)
    16. (191) Jori Lehtera (StL - C)
    17. (194) Mikkel Boedker (Ari - LW,RW)
    18. (215) T.J. Brodie (Cgy - D)
    19. (218) Eddie Lack (Car - G)
    20. (239) Alex Goligoski (Dal - D)
    21. (242) Matt Beleskey (Bos - LW)
    22. (263) Matt Dumba (Min - D)
    23. (266) Tomas Hertl (SJ - C,LW)
    24. (287) Sergei Plotnikov (Pit - LW)
    25. (290) Darcy Kuemper (Min - G)

All in all a pretty solid draft I think.

Some other picks that stood out to me:

Pavelski at #9 seems like a reach but I know better than to question Pengwin's judgement.

Joe Thornton is round 8 is a steal, he's still productive.

Brassard and Stepan both went in Round 9. About where they should have but I had been expecting one or both to fall a little further. Good snags on both but was surprised to see Brassard go first.

Rick got another steal in Round 10 with Marleau, he's been very underrated this year in all the mock and real drafts I've been a part of.

Other notable steals: Franson (13), Iginla (14), Mrazek (15), Hanzal (17), Roussel (22), Vasilevsky (24)

Good luck everyone! Can't wait to see how she all shakes out.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Ninja

Really tough draft. I didn't really have much of a strategy going in. I knew I had the 4th overall pick and the only given was that Ovechkin and probably Crosby would be off the board by my pick. I figured my choice would come down to one of: Seguin, Tavares, Price and Giroux (face-off wins). As predicted, it was Ovechkin, Crosby, then Seguin.

Natural Born Quiller

1. (4) John Tavares (NYI - C) - I decided on taking JT. 40 goals, 50 assists, 750 FOW, 30 PPP and 280 sog is my hope. I nearly took Price though.
    2. (21) Devan Dubnyk (Min - G) - I'm a believer, so I'm quite happy to take DD. If he's for real, he'll help dominate GAA, SV% and do very well in Wins. I almost took Quick though.
    3. (28) Corey Crawford (Chi - G) - Picking at the top of the order, I didn't want to chance what would be left of the G's with my 4th pick. Fleury and Schneider were my other G options.
    4. (45) Anze Kopitar (LA - C) - Funny how past experiences affect your present choices. I got burned by a lack of C (and FOW) in last year's draft, so I take a safe C pick.
    5. (52) Brandon Dubinsky (Cls - C,LW) - Penalty minutes, big hits AND FOW from the LW? Sign me up. Passed on Giordano and Carlson.
    6. (69) Roman Josi (Nsh - D) - N.Foligno was taken with the pick right in front of me, argh! Plan B - Couldn't let me D get too ugly, so a D it had to be. 15 goals, 40 assists, 200 blocks and 200 sog are not to be trifled with.
    7. (76) Chris Kreider (NYR - LW) - Plus-20, 95 pen mins, 180 hits, 200 sog
    8. (93) Ondrej Palat (TB - LW) - Would have preferred RW-Kucherov TB as I already had 2 x LW, but Kuch was taken 3 picks in front of mine. Seems like I always end up with Palat. Plus-30, 50 assists, 140 hits won't hurt.
    9. (100) Mark Stone (Ott - RW) - My 1st RW. Got to hope the final half of the season was the real deal, but I'm very confident. Plus-20, 30 goals, 40 assists. I'm happy with where I got Stone.
    10. (117) Niklas Kronwall (Det - D) - Wanted to address my lack of D. Hamonic and Ekblad went in this round ahead of my pick. Almost took Hamilton, but Kronwall will have more blocks.
    11. (124) Kyle Okposo (NYI - RW) - Time for my 2nd RW. Almost went with Nyquist, but Okposo's 51 points in 60 games were too tempting.
    12. (141) John Klingberg (Dal - D) - Not great roto numbers, but he could hit for 50 points.
    13. (148) Dennis Wideman (Cgy - D) - Was going to take my 3rd C, but Krejci went 2 picks before mine. Went with a 175 block D, who while he won't repeat last year's 56 points, will factor in the Flames offense.
    14. (165) Michael Del Zotto (Phi - D) - Hoping for 45 points, 160 hits and 140 blocks from MDZ.
    15. (172) Erik Johnson (Col - D) - Rounding out a relatively strong D, EJ should give me 40 points, 150 hits and 160 blocks, provided he stays away from racing golf carts.
    16. (189) Evgeny Kuznetsov (Was - C,LW) - Calculated gamble that Kuz plays with OV, but he should play on PP1, get 450 FOW and 200 sog.
    17. (196) Boone Jenner (Cls - C) - A couple of curses were heard when this pick was made. 40 points, 250 hits, 210 sog and 400 FOW? Good numbers from my #4 C.
    18. (213) Aleksander Barkov (Fla - C) - 10 points in his final 10 games to finish last year gives me hope for this season.
    19. (220) David Pastrnak (Bos - LW,RW) - Wanted to take G-Bernier Tor as my 3rd goalie or super shot blocker Kris Russell, but missed out on both. Settled for a little Pasta. Hit the spot.
    20. (237) Zach Bogosian (Buf - D) - 35 points, 90 pen mins, 220 hits, 125 blocks and maybe an ugly plus/minus from my #7 D.
    21. (244) Kevin Bieksa (Anh - D) - 100 pen mins, 105 hits, 140 blocks and hopefully a decent plus player on a stacked blueline in Anaheim.
    22. (261) Loui Eriksson (Bos - LW,RW) - 100% mistake. Only wanted to put him in my queue and then it was suddenly my pick. "Put in Queue" turned into "Draft" in a split second! Oh well, could be worse I guess.
    23. (268) Zack Kassian (Mon - RW) - Gamble pick. Potential for 30 points, 120 pen mins and 160 hits. Likely won't, but hey, it's round 23! Wanted Hertl, but he went 2 picks in front of me.
    24. (285) Mike Cammalleri (NJ - C,LW) - Old School! Band-Aid Boy to boot. 27 goals and 42 points in 68 games last year. With a better supporting cast this year, who knows?
    25. (292) Micheal Ferland (Cgy - LW,RW) - Another gamble pick. He had an interesting playoff

All in all, I'm happy with my draft. It wasn't perfect, but the competition is very tough. I am motivated to improve on my brutal 8th place virgin season last year.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    22. (261) Loui Eriksson (Bos - LW,RW) - 100% mistake. Only wanted to put him in my queue and then it was suddenly my pick. "Put in Queue" turned into "Draft" in a split second! Oh well, could be worse I guess.
    That is how I got Burakovsky. M'eh, them's the breaks.

The Wolverine

Newly named Hanzal and Getzel. My first round was from the 8 spot. Here's how the draft went:

Round 1. Benn. Was hoping Giroux would drop but I figured he was too valuable not to go earlier. Didn't expect Benn to drop so happy with this pick. Hope he's healthy to start the season.
    Round 2. Getzlaf. In my pre-draft preparation I had him down as a round two target and glad he made it to me.
    Round 3. Fleury. I had planned to grab my first goalie here and was hoping one of Fleury, Crawford, or even Schneider would be here. Happy with this one.
    Round 4. Perry. Surprised he fell this far. I had other guys in mind earlier on but as he kept falling I thought it would be great if I could pair him up with Getzlaf.

Summary: After four rounds I have a top C,L,R and G, covering multiple categories. Good balance so far.

Round 5. Giordano. I was thinking of grabbing my second goalie here, if Andersen made it to me. He went two spots before me so figured I could wait a round and decided to grab my first defenseman. On a per game basis, Giordano is a solid as it comes so hopefully he can remain healthy for most of the season.
    Round 6. Luongo. I might have managed waiting a bit longer but Luongo is a good #2 to complement Fleury. Hopefully Florida will surprise a bit and Luongo's wins increase to go along with solid peripherals.
    Round 7. Turris. I wanted a centre who could still improve, with solid SOG and FOW. Turris fits this perfectly. If he can at least match last year's production then I feel this is a good pick here.
    Round 8. Little. Having at least one centre with winger eligibility is key to compete in FOW and Little brings a little bit of everything. Hoping this is another safe pick with the added FOW bonus.

Summary: After eight rounds I have 2C,1L,2R,1D and 2G. I still have good balance but probably need to look at LW and D next if the right guys are there.

Round 9. D. Sedin. As a Flames fan this hurts but at pick 104 I couldn't pass up on a guy who scored 76 points. His peripherals are lacking and he could start to decline but thought this was a low risk at this stage of the draft. Furthermore, with 'points' as an added category, he becomes more valuable if he can come close to last year's production.
    Round 10. Seabrook. I figured I needed a second D and although there were more offensive guys available, Seabrook provides a good spread across the board including hits and blocks, which are key. Not sure if I could've grabbed him later but thought it was better to grab the guy you want when you want.
    Round 11. Hossa. When healthy he's as steady as it comes, so I couldn't pass up on a veteran who keeps producing. As Mike groaned after making the pick, I was reassured that it was a good choice.
    Round 12. Streit. Time to get a bit more offense on the back end and Streit is another steady option (I'm sensing a theme here). I don't expect a repeat of 14/15 but mid 40s with 20+ PPP and decent peripherals would be good.

Summary: After 12 rounds the shape of my team is coming together. Here's how the rest went:

Round 13. Koivu. Not quite the sought after centre as years past, but he's still very strong on FOW with decent offensive production. A good #3 centre for my squad.
    Round 14. Iginla. My all-time favourite player and figured it was a good time to grab him. He may decline but his spread of production is still useful as a mid-range RW.
    Round 15. McDonagh. A bit of an unknown to me on what I expect his year but the potential is there to provide even more offense and solid peripherals. In the 15th round, that works for me.
    Round 16. Wingels. Maybe a bit of reach depending on his usage this season, but if he gets more top 6 time and some PP time, he could be Brouwer of years' past, and that would be a bonus.

Round 17. Hanzal. Another one whom I debated taking later but I think at this stage of the draft you have to grab who you want and need. When healthy (obviously his main issue) he provides modest offense with strong peripherals.
    Round 18. Doan. A bit of a panic pick, as I wanted Stralman here, and he went two spots before me. I was lukewarm on others in my queue so figured if he has something left in the tank he could be useful in multiple categories.
    Round 19. Ramo. Time to grab a third goalie, and he was one of the few available that has a shot to steal the starting job.
    Round 20. Seidenberg. He's a bit banged up now and is a risk for regularly missing time, but with Hamilton gone he could get some more prime ice time and potentially more offense along with his solid peripherals.

Round 21. D. Pouliot. As my #6 D, might as well take a chance on this young, potential star who could be put onto a loaded power play if Letang gets hurt again.
    Round 22. Skinner. How far has he fallen? Low risk, potential high reward at this stage of the draft.
    Round 23. Henrique. Wanted a bench centre and he could be an adequate fill in when required.
    Round 24. Zidlicky. For my bench D, why not grab the guy just signed by the Isles and may end up on PP1? Yes please.
    Round 25. Khudobin. No harm in adding goalie depth and if for some reason Andersen struggled, he could be the #1 on one of the top teams in the league.

Here's my squad together:

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Koivu, Hanzal
    L: Benn, Sedin, Wingels, Doan
    R: Perry, Little, Hossa, Iginla
    D: Giordano, Seabrook, Streit, McDonagh, Seidenberg, Pouliot
    G: Fleury, Luongo
    BN: Henrique, Skinner, Zidlicky, Ramo, Khudobin

Dobber Sports Master

First trade of the season
    I sent Tatar, Atkinson and Lehner to Quentin (GoalsPerry's Baby) for Couturier, Stafford and Hammond.

My FOW needed a boost, and Couts does that. Gave up some RW points to do it. Will see how it goes.

Nice!
    Our first trade wasnt until October 23 last year!

Dobber Sports Stud

Definitely a tough draft - this is one league where if you want a guy you almost always need to reach or you risk losing out. I have been abysmal the last two years in this league so decided on a new approach - target stud C men with good FOW numbers in the first three to four rounds while also looking for a value draft at G. Other than that, this year I decided to pass on stud D and focus on forwards with good SOG and PPP.

Round 1 - Giroux (C/RW): drafted 6/12, I had my rank as Ovi, Crosby, Tavares, Giroux, Benn and Seguin. I was convinced I was getting one of Benn/Seguin but couldn't pass on 1000+ FOW from the right wing
    Round 2 - N. Backstrom (C): elite production and fits in nicely with my plan. Second round I was aiming for Backstrom/Getz, Johansen, Toews type of player.
    Round 3 - R. Johansen (C/RW): I was very surprised to see him there and could not pass up another solid C man who can take 700+ draws from the wing. I am now thinking goalie in the fourth
    Round 4 - B. Wheeler (RW): Halak went right before my pick and I was scrambling a bit and decided to go to plan B for goalies, which is target high end guys in a platoon situation.
    Round 5 - F. Andersen (G): I reached but my line of thinking is that I will likely need to go with 4 or 5 platoon/back-up goalies, and to have a very good goalie that plays a lot of off nights will help me max out my games/avoid lost games. So far I am very happy with my draft. Thin on goal scoring but some elite talent and all of my forwards have the potential for 100 HITS to boot.
    Round 6 - M. Duchene (C/LW): I need to lock down a LW fast and I like his upside for points and the fact that he draws from the left wing is good enough for me.
    Round 7/8 - B. Elliott/J. Allen (G): I targeted Elliot and when Allen was there in the next round I thought I should lock up the set. I am looking good in net, although this may have cost me some good skating talent and things are starting to get thin, especially on LW.
    Round 9 - D. Brassard (C): With three guys taking draws from the wing I need to start locking down some guys at C or else the opportunity is wasted. Stepan was on the board and this pick may haunt me through the season, however, Dobber had them both on PP1 and I wanted the HITS so I pulled the trigger. Was hoping Stepan may slide to the next round but no luck.
    Round 10 - M. Scheifele (C): Don't love this pick as he is PP2 and not a ton of SOG but things are starting to thin out at C and the guys who went with other positions early and starting to make solid value picks at the pivot position.
    Round 11 - C. Anderson (G): I was actually surprised he was still there given the possibility of him starting 65 games. I still don't have goalie games maxed out so liked this option, plus I am thinking if I can load up on goalie starts early I may have some assets to trade for help in other places down the road.
    Round 12 - R. Vrbata (RW): Fits in nicely with my preference for SOG/PP1 guys and I agree with Pengwin7 that he is criminally underrated in fantasy.
    Round 13 - R. Suter (D): I have no d-men at this point and while I don't like Suter as my #1 he is decent and should improve on last year - plus he is PP1.
    Round 14 - M. Zucarello (LW/RW): I am set at C, RW and G and now really need to scramble for some decent help at LW. A bit of a risk on this one but I am hoping Dobber is right and he sees PP1 time.
    Round 15 - D. Girardi (D): I didn't like anything at LW and didn't want to reach on one, so I decided instead to reach massively on a D-man. Possibly the largest reach of the entire draft but I wanted the HITS and BLKS. Probably a mistake.
    Round 16 - V. Filpulla (C/LW): Terrible peripherals but he has the potential to put up good points and his 600+ draws from the left side seemed like good value here, plus I need LW. I realize at this point that I should keep stocking up on FOW and hope to trade for help where needed later.
    Round 17 - J. Wisniewski (D): I am a fan of his game and was happy to see him available. If he gets PP1 time I think this is a nice grab. Also has decent peripherals.
    Round 18 - M. Granlund (C): I am hoping he solidifies his place as top C in Minny and gets the PP1 time. He rounds out my C so that Giroux, Johansen and Duchene can all move to the wing if needed.

The rest of the draft was shoring up my D, mostly with HITS and/or BLKS along with some fliers at forward.

19. Dustin Brown LW,RW - wanted the HITS
    20. Matt Greene D
    21. Brenden Dillon D
    22. Marcus Johansson C,LW,RW - like this, especially if Backstrom misses some time.
    23. Dan Boyle D - desperation time
    24. Matt Moulson LW - desperation time
    25. David Clarkson

Overall I am weak in Goals and PIM but I think am good on A, Points, FOW, and HITS. BLKS and PPP are mediocre (some very good PP guys early but a few of my other guys need PP1 time to make this work). I really like my goalies. My D are awful.

Looking forward to testing this crew out on the ice for 10-15 games than looking for trades where possible.

Dobber Sports Stud

After making my first deal with Bottlenecker, I figured I better post my team - which got auto-drafted (ugh) due to tech diff - before I start trying to shape it into something a little more to my liking. As BN saw, my RW and G were in need of some help and I felt I had the FOW to absorb the loss of Couturier.

(FYI - if anyone has some thoughts/ideas on how to best set up a pre-rank in case of auto-draft, I'd LOVE to hear it. I tried to group guys together so I pick from ONE of them - but of course not being able to adapt in real time, I wound up getting a bunch of them in subsequent rounds. Just not sure how I can ensure I get one type of guy in Rd 3 without then getting an identical guy in Rd 4... but also not losing out on one of them in those slots. Anyhoots - appreciate any past experience you guys have.)

GoalsPerry's Baby - Squad (for now)

C: E.Staal, McDavid, Eichel, Gagner
    RW: Backes, Tatar, Vanek, Atkinson
    LW: J.Staal, Vermette, Soderberg, Ennis
    D: Subban, OEL, Phaneuf, J.Johnson, Niskanen, T.Hamonic
    G: Rask, Lehner
    BN: Abdelkader, Maroon, Jokinen, Gelinas, Stalock

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    Round 1 - Giroux (C/RW): drafted 6/12, I had my rank as Ovi, Crosby, Tavares, Giroux, Benn and Seguin. I was convinced I was getting one of Benn/Seguin but couldn't pass on 1000+ FOW from the right wing
    Round 2 - N. Backstrom (C): elite production and fits in nicely with my plan. Second round I was aiming for Backstrom/Getz, Johansen, Toews type of player.
    Round 3 - R. Johansen (C/RW): I was very surprised to see him there and could not pass up another solid C man who can take 700+ draws from the wing. I am now thinking goalie in the fourth
    Round 4 - B. Wheeler (RW): Halak went right before my pick and I was scrambling a bit and decided to go to plan B for goalies, which is target high end guys in a platoon situation.
    Round 5 - F. Andersen (G): I reached but my line of thinking is that I will likely need to go with 4 or 5 platoon/back-up goalies, and to have a very good goalie that plays a lot of off nights will help me max out my games/avoid lost games. So far I am very happy with my draft. Thin on goal scoring but some elite talent and all of my forwards have the potential for 100 HITS to boot.
    Round 6 - M. Duchene (C/LW): I need to lock down a LW fast and I like his upside for points and the fact that he draws from the left wing is good enough for me.
    Round 7/8 - B. Elliott/J. Allen (G): I targeted Elliot and when Allen was there in the next round I thought I should lock up the set. I am looking good in net, although this may have cost me some good skating talent and things are starting to get thin, especially on LW.
    Round 9 - D. Brassard (C): With three guys taking draws from the wing I need to start locking down some guys at C or else the opportunity is wasted. Stepan was on the board and this pick may haunt me through the season, however, Dobber had them both on PP1 and I wanted the HITS so I pulled the trigger. Was hoping Stepan may slide to the next round but no luck.
    Round 10 - M. Scheifele (C): Don't love this pick as he is PP2 and not a ton of SOG but things are starting to thin out at C and the guys who went with other positions early and starting to make solid value picks at the pivot position.
    Round 11 - C. Anderson (G): I was actually surprised he was still there given the possibility of him starting 65 games. I still don't have goalie games maxed out so liked this option, plus I am thinking if I can load up on goalie starts early I may have some assets to trade for help in other places down the road.
    Round 12 - R. Vrbata (RW): Fits in nicely with my preference for SOG/PP1 guys and I agree with Pengwin7 that he is criminally underrated in fantasy.
    I really like your team.
    I had 9 or 10 of your first 12 rounds of guys on my "target" list.
    I think you'll do really well (barring injuries, of course!)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Might as well post the draft results since they weren't up here yet. I will post my draft recap later and I guess probably some rough standings projections as well. I was actually thinking about some kind of feature like giving my opinion on the 3 best and worst picks each round for example. I think that could be useful for anyone looking for a little bit extra opinion on who to draft in 1-year leagues with similar settings. Probably after the Dobber Experts draft is over later today as I don't want to give up all my best picks before that draft.

Round 1

1 Alex Ovechkin Was - LW,RW The Boneshifters
    2 Sidney Crosby Pit - C Barried Alive
    3 Tyler Seguin Dal - C,RW Let the Right Muzzin
    4 John Tavares NYI - C Natural Born Quiller
    5 Carey Price Mon - G Nightmare on Helm St
    6 Claude Giroux Phi - C,RW Ogie Ogre-thorpe
    7 Steven Stamkos TB - C Halak Ness Monster
    8 Jamie Benn Dal - LW Hanzal and Getzel
    9 Joe Pavelski SJ - C,LW Bjoogeymen
    10 Erik Karlsson Ott - D Big Ladd Wolf
    11 Tuukka Rask Bos - G GoalsPerry's Baby