Banned

Default Re: Better all around Defenceman

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    1. Doughty
    2. Keith
    3. Karlsson
    4. Weber
    5. Hedman

Karlsson isn't nearly as bad defensively as some make him out to be. He controls the play and tempo better than any D on the planet IMO. He's still a kid and we'll see his best hockey (all-around) from age 28-32.

Here's the thing about Hedman though - if he continues to play like he did in the playoffs (and Finals) he could SOON be the best all-around defenseman in the world and win a couple of Norris' himself. I need to see a little more of him at this elite level though. But he's already a monster. I also think Ekman-Larsson will soon be Top-5 material.
    hedmans offense wasnt great in the playoffs. He won't be winning mortises playing like that.

edit: also You're right about OEL. He's better than Hedman.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    hedmans offense wasnt great in the playoffs. He won't be winning mortises playing like that.
    We are both on opposite end of the spectrums so you will defend him forever like you do on every damn forum regardless. I think he shouldn't have won the Norris so I will continue to say he's overrated in terms of real life value. But just reading news articles and experts opinions I think the consensus opinion is that his D is flawed. And did you not listen to the commentators lol, they explained it perfectly. He got lucky to have broken up that play. And even somehow got embarrassed by Marchand. You can find clips, but none that bad of an elite defenseman.

- - - Updated - - -

He won't win a mortise but he might win a Norris! He was phenomenal in the playoffs on every end of the rink. He was one of the best players in the series.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Genius

Hedman is a stud. There's no doubt.

But let's play a game.

Individually take any #1 D on the 29 other teams and swap him for Karlsson on the Sens. Now tell me which #1D traded for Karlsson made the sens better?

Now take Erik Karlsson and put him in place of the #1D from the 29 other teams. Which NHL team suffered for adding Karlsson and subtracting their current #1?

In my opinion, the only answer that I accept as an argument is Drew Doughty. What does Keith do for the Hawks that EK couldn't? Play tough defensive assignments ? Check again. Flip Keith and EK and I can't imagine what this Hawks dynasty would turn into. Do you guys think Weber plays D like Scott Stevens or Rob Blake or something? Weber is tremendous athlete who can play massive minutes but I think he's lost the smallest of steps and isn't in the top 3/4 anymore, maybe in the next 3/4.

It's no coincidence that both DD and EK find yet another gear when the chips are down and lights are on. Playoffs, internationals. Doughty was arguably Canada best, most consistent player. Karlsson was epic for Sweden.

Sometimes I take influence over "all around" any how. McDonagh is better all around then Subban (and proly have both thee guys in my top tier, real life D). PK can find levels of domination during games that few have. I want him personally.

NHL has a re-draft, Karlsson goes is 1st D ranked by majority of teams. Maybe Doughty.

One last thing on Karlssons D abilities. He's never gonna be Chelios or Bourque. Or even a more cerebral player defending like Lidstrom and because of the nature of his game, he will cough up the puck, get caught pinching etc. However, when he's on the ice, the scoring chances for/against ratio dramatically tilts in the sens favour. He tilts the ice toward the opposition. That, is his defensive contribution.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    We are both on opposite end of the spectrums so you will defend him forever like you do on every damn forum regardless. I think he shouldn't have won the Norris so I will continue to say he's overrated in terms of real life value. But just reading news articles and experts opinions I think the consensus opinion is that his D is flawed. And did you not listen to the commentators lol, they explained it perfectly. He got lucky to have broken up that play. And even somehow got embarrassed by Marchand. You can find clips, but none that bad of an elite defenseman.
    i defend him against stupid, uninformed opinions. I listened to the announcers. Like I said they were dead wrong about the play on Crosby (and bob errey is a dumb **** so it's not surprising he would say something like this). He literally broke up the play and got the puck away from the Penguins. Lucky? He did his ****ing job. Marchand? He kept him to the outside then skated too far and got beat (this was the season where he wasn't as good as he is now because he was recovering from a torn Achilles). You can continue to think he shouldn't have won the Norris, but when a guy wins two of them then maybe you should reevaluate your opinion.

Like I said shit happens and you can find clips like that for any defenceman in the game, if they're actually uploaded. Most times they're not unless a goal is scored as a result of the mistake. But for Karlsson oh no we have to show every mistake he makes eh. Funny you won't find clips of him playing against a guy like a Ovechkin and containing him and taking the puck away from him all game. I've seen that happen more than one game against the Caps. you are incredibly naive if you think even the best players in the world don't make mistakes like that. Happens to everyone. Wasn't Shea weber on the ice for the infamous Bobby Ryan goal?

Dobber Sports Padawan

It's alright, I know you're a sens fan.
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Hedman is a stud. There's no doubt.

But let's play a game.

Individually take any #1 D on the 29 other teams and swap him for Karlsson on the Sens. Now tell me which #1D traded for Karlsson made the sens better?

Now take Erik Karlsson and put him in place of the #1D from the 29 other teams. Which NHL team suffered for adding Karlsson and subtracting their current #1.

In my opinion, the only answer that I accept as an argument is Drew Doughty. What does Keith do for the Hawks that EK couldn't? Play tough defensive assignments ? Check again. Flip Keith and EK and I can't imagine what this Hawks dynasty would turn into. Do you guys think Weber plays D like Scott Stevens or Rob Blake or something? Weber is tremendous athlete who can play massive minutes but I think he's lost the smallest of steps and isn't in the top 3/4 anymore, maybe in the next 3/4.

It's no coincidence that both DD and EK find yet another gear when the chips are down and lights are on. Playoffs, internationals. Doughty was arguably Canada best, most consistent player. Karlsson was epic for Sweden.

Sometimes I take influence over "all around" any how. McDonagh is better all around then Subban (and proly have both thee guys in my top tier, real life D). PK can find levels of domination during games that few have. I want him personally.

NHL has a re-draft, Karlsson goes is 1st D ranked by majority of teams. Maybe Doughty.

One last thing on Karlssons D abilities. He's never gonna be Chelios or Bourque. Or even a more cerebral player defending like Lidstrom and because of the nature of his game, he will cough up the puck, get caught pinching etc. However, when he's on the ice, the scoring chances for/against ratio dramatically tilts in the sens favour. He tilts the ice toward the opposition. That, is his defensive contribution.
    Great post. Doughty is the only guy I think can be argued here.

- - - Updated - - -

It's alright, I know you're a sens fan.
    yup, and one who actually knows what he's talking about and not blindly following media people and "experts" because they don't actually watch the guy play. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I can't add my voice. sens fans know more about Karlssom than anybody else. We don't just blindly praise and compare every sens player to other elite players.

You're the same guy who said Karlsson fell at the draft....

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Great post. Doughty is the only guy I think can be argued here.

- - - Updated - - -

yup, and one who actually knows what he's talking about and not blindly following media people and "experts" because they don't actually watch the guy play. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I can't add my voice. sens fans know more about Karlssom than anybody else. We don't just blindly praise and compare every sens player to other elite players.

You're the same guy who said Karlsson fell at the draft....
    wow, that's really insulting....
    Considering he is a generational offensive talent he clearly wasn't drafted where he should've been. Could've gone much higher if there weren't questions about his defensive liabilities. It is hard to take you seriously with all the trolling you do around here anyways. But this was fun.
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H

Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Can someone re-name this thread, "Trolling Big Ev"?

I think Karlsson is a much better all around Dman. Having the puck on your stick is the best way to prevent the other team from scoring....

unless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUWdMfmtvA
    Last edited by jmouland; August 3, 2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer the OP
    20 team H2H Fantrax Cap Dynasty
    2018/2018 Cap=90 mil
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FO%, HIT, BLK, TOI/G
    W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    3C/LW/RW, 6D, 2Sk, 2G

C: Backstrom, Bergeron, Eichel
    L: Benn, Rakell, Coleman, Goldobin, Weal, B. McGinn
    R: Pavelski, Radulov, Panik, B. Tanev, D. Ryan
    D: Burns, Josi, Weber, Ellis, Manson, Forbort, Stecher, Weegar
    G: Talbot, Elliott
    Farm: Harkins, Hayden, Kampf, Highmore, Dickinson, Bjork, Motte, Foegele, Rychel, Kossila, Poturalski, Graves, Bear, Nielsen, Timmins, Ozhiganov, McKeown, Gillies, Boyle, Brossoit, Ellis, Rittich

Banned

wow, that's really insulting....
    Considering he is a generational offensive talent he clearly wasn't drafted where he should've been. Could've gone much higher if there weren't questions about his defensive liabilities. It is hard to take you seriously with all the trolling you do around here anyways. But this was fun.
    Good lord...im no way shape or form did he fall at the draft. It was the opposite - he was a draft riser. Obviously today he should have gone much higher, but that is not what falling at the draft means. Most people had no idea who he was to even talk about any question marks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmouland View Post
    Can someone re-name this thread, "Trolling Big Ev"?

I think Karlsson is a much better all around Dman. Having the puck on your stick is the best way to prevent the other team from scoring....

unless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUWdMfmtvA
    It's all good. I get more worked up about it then I should. I will now exit the conversation.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

1. Doughty
    2. Weber
    3. E.Karlsson
    4. Keith
    5. Pietrangelo
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Gents, I agree hands-down Karlsson steals this debate. But what about J. Carlson? If there's another defencemen I relate the term "beast" too, it's him. And now that he's beginning to rack up some pretty impressive points and is the go-to guy on WSH with Green gone, I'd put him in this discussion, too.

REAL LIFE
    1. Karlsson
    2. Doughty
    3. Carlson
    4. Weber
    5. Keith
    (honorable mention: Suter)

FANTASY
    1. Karlsson
    2. Subban
    3. Carlson
    4. Weber
    5. Josi
    FANTASY LEAGUE: "Hockey Night on Hoth" (est. 2012)
    TEAM NAME: "The Barrelriders"

FORMAT: H2H Keeper League (Keep 4 - no more than two per position)
    TEAM FORMAT: 12 Teams, 17 Players per Team (3C, 4W, 3D, 2G, 5Util)
    STAT CATS: G, A, P, PPP, FW, Shots, Hits, Blocks | Wins, SVS, GAA, SV%

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Expert

Hedman kind of just had his coming out party, which would explain his absence. Not to mention Claude Giroux was left off a time if you're going to use the Olympics as a gauge for who's better than who. I still think Karlsson is a generational talent offensively, but his game is really not that well rounded when compared to some others.

- - - Updated - - -

I would not say above average defensively, that's a little bold. He's definitely average though, not below.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWJXXqQ8kA lol

- - - Updated - - -

that is some terrible terrible d
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PAA-725ob8

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post

In my opinion, the only answer that I accept as an argument is Drew Doughty. What does Keith do for the Hawks that EK couldn't? Play tough defensive assignments ? Check again. Flip Keith and EK and I can't imagine what this Hawks dynasty would turn into.
    [/B]
    The Hawks have won their Cups with defense and for two of their three Cups, Keith was the best player for the Hawks. He's been their MVP of this era. If you were to swap DK and Karlsson, the Hawks probably still win their their 2010 Cup but I doubt they win 2013 and 2015. Many people look at Keith's points but they are just a by-product of his game. His strength is his breaking up plays in his own zone and transitioning the puck back the opposite direction which allows the Hawks to drive possession. The Hawks are possession team and the two players most responsible for this are Duncan Keith and Jonathon Toews. Obviously, Karlsson outshines Keith in the offensive zone but when I hear people continually say Karlsson is merely average defensively, that is all I need to hear when comparing the two.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I voted Karlsson.

My list would be Doughty, Karlsson, Keith, Weber, Subban.

To me, all of these guys can play 30min a night; which automatically puts Suter in this conversation but he just doesn't have the offence to make it. Doughty is the clear winner defensively, while Karlsson is the clear winner offensively. The reason I think Doughty is the best (although really, not by much) is because offensive opportunities are limited by his team and coach. Put him on the Sens in the same role and I think he would pot 65+ points too. Put Karlsson on the kings in the same role and I think he would be limited to 45-50 points too; and he would perform at an elite level on the defensive end.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ