Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jays acquire Price

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Jays acquire Price

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    I think there's a chance Price re-signs in Toronto, but it will cost a LOT.
    I don't care how much it costs. Give him the Moon.

This team has been "Chasing the future" for WAY TOO LONG. When will "the future" ever add up to "TODAY"?

Great move AA regardless of whether he resigns or not. These last 2 moves blow his other "BLOCKBUSTER's" a couple years back outta the water. These moves resembles the moves they old school Jays used to do. Use their money... push some teams around. Now let's focus on this year and tonight's game and every additional game as it comes... 1 step at a time!

Dobber Sports Titan

I posted this in Rotoworld under the Jays outlook after someone said “Jays have no chance at resigning Price”. It upset me enough to post there. Usually I just read the players outlook pages but this one hit a string:

No chance is a stretch. But they’d have to open the cheque book. Buerhle is gone, there’s 14.5mill, Dickey is making 12.5mill but has a 1mill buyout, Navarro is gone. So there’s 31mill in just players leaving.

If Toronto does well, they have the things that would tempt an ace to stay. Strong infield (maybe the strongest left side), an offense to win games on their own, no worry about weather when playing, and what can be a good rotation next yr.

Only reason why people think he won’t stay is because it’s Toronto. Ontario’s high income tax is 48.3%. Having had this argument about NHL free agents, I know places like Washington, New York, New Jersey, and California is higher than Toronto. With Detroit, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Buffalo, Philly, and Ohio being within 2%. 2% of 30mill is $600,000. That’s the difference between signing the same contract in Toronto and Detroit. And the way the Canadian dollar is going, 30mill USD is almost 40mill CAD. It’s a good time to be a NA athlete living in Canada.

Is there a chance he doesn’t sign? Yes, but to say “No Chance” is a big stretch. Especially since we haven’t heard an interview with Price after the trade.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

It won't be solely about money -- he'll get paid anywhere. It'll be dependent on how much he enjoys being in T.O. for the next 2+ months.

I also think the Yankees are still a legit target -- they've been relying on a Gardner dream season and a healthy A-Rod and Teixeira. Not convinced those three will keep rolling.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Padawan

Let's not forget that Bautista and EE contracts expire next year. Signing Price would give them the ability to have a max-year with everyone available, then make a decision at this time next year on what to do with the core group. It's only a one-year business decision to spend max money. Would still have Donaldson and Tulo as your cornerstones just as it was Bautista and EE last year.

I think they sign him.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Sage

Price will be signing with the Cubs this offseason. And if not the Cubs then LA. Keep him healthy for us!
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Banned

As a Red Sox fan, David Price is a "little bitch"

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    It won't be solely about money -- he'll get paid anywhere. It'll be dependent on how much he enjoys being in T.O. for the next 2+ months.

I also think the Yankees are still a legit target -- they've been relying on a Gardner dream season and a healthy A-Rod and Teixeira. Not convinced those three will keep rolling.
    Pineda and Nova to miss their next starts I think. Nova has arm fatigue so if he starts, he wont be going long. Injuries will be the death of the Yankees and they seem to be hitting.

Banned

also they might not even wanna sign him longterm actually. Look at Verlander and Lester (where he's headed)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    also they might not even wanna sign him longterm actually. Look at Verlander and Lester (where he's headed)
    In a perfect world it would be a 2-3yr deal. But if he sits down and says I will sign with a 6yr deal, do it. The window is prior to 2018, just make sure your team is set to win till 2018, and then deal with the outcome.

Also when hard throwers don’t make the adjustment to groundball guys, you get outcomes like Verlander. Look at Burnett, he was a hard thrower and fell off the cliff when his speed went down. Changed his thinking and was at the All-Star game this yr. Eventually guys like Kershaw and JFern will have to do the same.

Dobber Sports Sage

Lester looked alright yesterday. Verlander's deal is gonna go down as one of the worst deals ever. The reality is all these FA pitcher deals will have bad money on the back end. At least Price is only 29.

One other thing about Price- he loves playing for Maddon. Price sat next to him whenever he didnt pitch just soaking up the game from Maddon. With the Cubs cheap positional players, they always planned to overpay for pitching.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ninja

I had this exact debate with a friend all afternoon.

I don't give a shit if Price re-signs or not, this is still a good trade.

Yeah we gave up Norris. It sucks, but you know what? Our prospect pool went from trash to hot garbage today. Either way it was still shit. We've sold off a lot of our future already in the past few years. Why not go all in? I like Norris' story and I think he'll be a good pitcher but I do worry about his arm strength. The guy seemed to always go limp by the fifth. We still hung on to Pompey and Alford. We have young players in Sanchez, Stroman, Travis, and Osuna who are young guys showing they have what it takes in the big leagues.

You know what we just got today? A bonafide "THIS IS A GUY I WANT PITCHING IN A 1 GAME PLAYOFF". Before this trade who would you send out? I mean yes, it's essentially 10 games of Price for the rest of the season god willing. But you know what? I'd make this trade every ****ing time.

And if we DO make it to the playoffs? HELLO

And if he DOES re-sign? HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

People really need to start putting this into perspective.

IT'S DAVID ****ING PRICE.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post

This. Don’t lose this thought ever lol.

Even at 29, he’s not over the hill. PS. Hutch is only 24. Not a great pitcher, but still young.

Dickey, Buerhle, Huch, Estrada, Price. Then Sanchez, Osuna, Schultz, Hawkins and Stroman joining possibly in September. That’s a good staff, but getting 1 more starter (Cashner) would just be icing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I had this exact debate with a friend all afternoon.

I don't give a shit if Price re-signs or not, this is still a good trade.

Yeah we gave up Norris. It sucks, but you know what? Our prospect pool went from trash to hot garbage today. Either way it was still shit. We've sold off a lot of our future already in the past few years. Why not go all in? I like Norris' story and I think he'll be a good pitcher but I do worry about his arm strength. The guy seemed to always go limp by the fifth. We still hung on to Pompey and Alford. We have young players in Sanchez, Stroman, Travis, and Osuna who are young guys showing they have what it takes in the big leagues.

You know what we just got today? A bonafide "THIS IS A GUY I WANT PITCHING IN A 1 GAME PLAYOFF". Before this trade who would you send out? I mean yes, it's essentially 10 games of Price for the rest of the season god willing. But you know what? I'd make this trade every ****ing time.

And if we DO make it to the playoffs? HELLO

And if he DOES re-sign? HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

People really need to start putting this into perspective.

David Price in the post-season: 10 games, 5 starts, 1-5 record, 4.5 ERA, 1.225 WHIP

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I don't care how much it costs. Give him the Moon.

This team has been "Chasing the future" for WAY TOO LONG. When will "the future" ever add up to "TODAY"?

Great move AA regardless of whether he resigns or not. These last 2 moves blow his other "BLOCKBUSTER's" a couple years back outta the water. These moves resembles the moves they old school Jays used to do. Use their money... push some teams around. Now let's focus on this year and tonight's game and every additional game as it comes... 1 step at a time!
    I have NO problem whatsoever with this trade. At all. Price is a stud and instantly makes the Jays better. I like the bravado shown by Anthopolous.

If you're Price, you want to be paid, but you also want to win. AA's more prominent moves surely indicate that he's propelling the Jays toward a "win now" philosophy considering who he's acquired and in a relatively short period of time. That'd be music to my ears if I'm Price and taking into account what AA has done and (likely will do), in order to win sooner rather than later, that could very well compel players to stick around and re-sign rather than opt for free agency and end up with a non-contender.

This is exciting as a fan for sure because Rogers has obviously given AA the green light to go ahead and make some very big transactions and throw a lot of cash around. Nothing worse than having a hesitant managerial team or owner that hesitates to spend and doesn't commit to winning.

Dobber Sports Titan

David Price in the post-season: 10 games, 5 starts, 1-5 record, 4.5 ERA, 1.225 WHIP
    Last yr he pitched 8innings, 5hits, 2er, 6SO and only 31batters faced. Keeping the Orioles to under 3runs is really good.