Thread: Keeper Talk

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Keeper Talk

So I'm set on 3 of my 4 keepers (Gronk, Julio Jones, Randall Cobb). My 4th is a toss up. All summer I had been set on Peyton Manning, since QBs tend to dominate our league. I know he's surrounded in question marks, but I still think he can easily bounce back and have a great season. But, here are my other options.

Joique Bell
    Frank Gore
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Martavis Bryant
    CJ Spiller

Anybody worth hanging onto over Manning? I've been burned by hanging onto Spiller in the past. Just not sure any of these guys is worth tossing Peyton back into the draft, who I'm sure will be gone by my pick (I don't have a 1st this year). It'll be tough to start so weak at RB, but there are so many out there who will get touches.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Keeper Talk

How many QBs do you start and how many teams in the league?

If it is a 2QB league, I would keep him. If it is a 1 QB league, I think you need to keep at least 1 RB and I feel Gore is the best option for that. On a new team with Luck as QB opens up lots of running space for Gore.

Dobber Sports Expert

If your league is PPR, Spiller is the answer. Don't let a down year in Buffalo scare you. This guy is gonna get huge touches next year with dump offs and line up in some slot sets. He's going to have a big bounce back season.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Since you mentioned that QBs dominate your settings, Manning is tempting.. but i dont think he duplicates last years' numbers.
    Do you know if other managers are keeping their QBs? besides the elite guys like Luck and Rodgers i probably wouldn't waste a keeper on a QB.
    hopefully you can wait for a guy like Big Ben, Brees, Newton later in the draft

I'd go Gore first then Spiller
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

If QB's dominate your league then I think you have your answer. manning was hurt ltowards the end of last year and will be back to normal next season. Not 600 pass attempts normal but top 5 fantasy production is an absolute lock. You can grab Spiller or Gore in the 1st round if you really want them.

Thanks all. Just to answer some questions - it is a 1 QB, 12 team league with PPR.

Dobber Sports Giant

I don't really think Spiller and Gore are going to have very productive fantasy seasons, but if you want to go with a RB choose Spiller imo. Otherwise, I would probably just keep Peyton and hope you hit a lottery ticket with RBs early.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Like Peyton here, still has some gas left in the tank.
    13 team Roto keeper league 12 F, 6D, 2G, G,A,+/-, PIMS, Hits, TOI(D), GAA, SV%, (Forwards are forwards, no distinction between L,R,C)

F) Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kunitz, Parise, Byfuglien, Backstrom, Little, Gaudreau, Hudler, Brassard, Girgensons, Nelson
    D) S. Weber, Phaneuf, Subban, Carlson, Josi, Vatanen
    G) Rask, Jones

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would probably keep Manning if you are positive he won't be around by your 1st selection.. Spiller will be nice in a PPR league, but he is often hurt.. Gore is getting up there in age for a RB..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Pro

Spiller another vote, and Fitzgerald would also be a quality option.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In PPR I think I'm keeping Spiller here. Gore is definitely in a good situation, and depending on who else is kept throughout your first round, you may have the opportunity to draft him again or potentially someone better.

If someone wants to burn their first round selection on your Manning let them, there is a lot of depth at QB and waiting has long been the strategy (in one QB leagues).

Another vote for Spiller.

GL
    10 team Cumulative Points Only - Keep 4
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PPP (1), PIM (0.25/min), S (0.4), H (0.2), Bs (0.2), FoW (0.1), W (4), Sv (0.2), SO (4), GA (-1)
    update inc.

Dobber Sports Expert

I wouldn't keep Manning. Denver is going with a more balanced approach this season. They need to improve their clock management, which has been their demise the last 2 seasons. CJ Anderson is the guy you really want in Denver this season, not Manning. Expect to see a big dip in Peyton's yardage and TD numbers.

I don't love either Spiller or Gore as an RB1 (although they could finish that way). That means that you are going to have to go RB heavy early in your draft and there is some comfort doing that knowing you have a QB1, 2 WR1s, and the TE1 already on your roster.

Any sense of what other QBs are being kept? If most teams are keeping one, then I think you need to keep Manning. If it is only the top 2 or 3, I might go with Gore. If you only have one keeper RB, I think you need to go with the best floor, and that is Gore in the Indy offense.

So to update everyone, we had our draft today. I kept Manning, and it proved to be a decent strategy, as a ton of QBs were kept (including Romo, Wilson, Rivers and Cutler). I ended up getting Spiller back in the 2nd round. Someone told me Manning would have never made it passed him in the first round, so it was probably the right call. I have an ugly, ugly RB situation, but everything else looks good (as long as Manning plays well).