Thread: Charlie Coyle vs Sean Couturier

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Charlie Coyle vs Sean Couturier

After seeing Sean Couturier signing a new deal today it made me think about a deal I made last year that included him as a main piece in acquiring David Backes. I know Couturier didnt have a banner season and his numbers even seemed to regress a bit with less ice time from the previous year, but I'm still a big believer and the Hockey Writer's analysis on him from May seemed to confirm my opinions that he is a 22yr old high end talent in a tough role.

Charlie Coyle is a piece I have right now that produces similar stats in my league, and also seems to be stuck in organization limbo with a logjam of forwards ahead of him.

Dobber has Coyle ranked 60ish places higher on his keeper list, but which would you rather own? I feel like if I could trade Coyle straight up for Couturier today I would do it.

Thoughts?
    18 Team Full Keeper Start 10F, 3D, 1 G, 1 Flex Skater, 3 ​JR

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, SHG, SHA, W 1.5 Point: PPA 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG .5 Point; Star .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

F:
    Johansen, JvR, Monahan, Kucherov, Tavares, Coyle, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Rakell, Dadanov, Pacioretti, Gusev, Kaprizov, Tomasino, ​Greenway
    D: Theodore, Carlson, Josi, Valimaki, Hughes, K Miller, ​Grzelcyk
    G: Holtby, Gibson, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Charlie Coyle vs Sean Couturier

I see them being pretty even right now in terms of production. IMO, Couturier has a clearer path to becoming more offensively relevant. He should be Philly's #2 centre this year, and only has Giroux in front of him on the depth chart. Whether or not he gets played in a more offensive role remains to be seen. Coyle, as you said, is stuck in a logjam in Minny with little hope of getting out.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Charlie Coyle vs Sean Couturier

Quote Originally Posted by StuntsC View Post
    After seeing Sean Couturier signing a new deal today it made me think about a deal I made last year that included him as a main piece in acquiring David Backes. I know Couturier didnt have a banner season and his numbers even seemed to regress a bit with less ice time from the previous year, but I'm still a big believer and the Hockey Writer's analysis on him from May seemed to confirm my opinions that he is a 22yr old high end talent in a tough role.

Charlie Coyle is a piece I have right now that produces similar stats in my league, and also seems to be stuck in organization limbo with a logjam of forwards ahead of him.

Dobber has Coyle ranked 60ish places higher on his keeper list, but which would you rather own? I feel like if I could trade Coyle straight up for Couturier today I would do it.

Thoughts?
    There are reasons why Coyle ranks higher on keeper rankings. He'll get some PP2 time, maybe some PP1. Couturier is destined to be a shut down guy and plays that role well, he just isn't a good own from a fantasy perspective. I'll be interested to see how the Flyers deploy Laughton in the next couple seasons. Coyle is my clear choice here.