Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blue jays acquire troy tulowitzki!

I...am your father.

Default Blue jays acquire troy tulowitzki!

Sorry for the caps

But this is HUGE! Holy shit!

Reyes, Castro, prospects
    for
    Tulo and Latroy Hawkins

WOW

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...-from-rockies/
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Default Re: Blue jays acquire troy tulowitzki!

Newest #BlueJays SS Troy Tulowitzki has a .544 slugging % since 2009. That is 63 points higher than the next closest shortstop

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Wolverine

Over/under when Tulo gets injured next: 20 games?

Dobber Sports Master

bandaid boy Tulow

Dobber Sports Guru

Bullpen help as well.
    Now to add a starter.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Titan

they gave up hoffman. not sure how i like this. If they gave up Hoffman i was hoping for pitching. Maybe this was just to clear some dollars to bring in Hamels?

Tulo’s contract:
    2015-30yrs old-20mill
    2016-31yrs old-20mill
    2017-32yrs old-20mill
    2018-33yrs old-20mill
    2019-34yrs old-20mill
    2020-35yrs old-14mill
    2021-36yrs old-15mill***club option

Reyes was making 22mill until 2017 (34yrs old) with a 22mill club option in 2018

2mill wouldn’t be enough of a cap clear to bring in someone I’d think.

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s Tulo’s contract “notes” per sportac.com

Contract Notes:
    2021 option includes a $4 million buyout
    2020-2021 salaries can increase by $6 million based on MVP Votes, Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, All-Star Selections
    Trade Bonus: $2 million
    May be traded once during contract
    $25k for All-Star Selection, Gold Glove
    $50k for Silver Slugger
    $75k LCS MVP
    $100k for MVP, WS MVP

We have him until his contract is up, or we buy him out
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

I just dont understand why they would move Hoffman in this type of deal. Dont get me wrong, I like Tulo over Reyes, but if you are going to move one of your best prospect assets, how can it not be to improve your greatest need at the big league level.

The offense got better, but the offense isn't a problem for the Jays. Everyone knows this.

As they mentioned on TSN this morning, I can only assume this move is a precursor to another move to acquire pitching help. If not, then this deal doesn't make much sense.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I just dont understand why they would move Hoffman in this type of deal. Dont get me wrong, I like Tulo over Reyes, but if you are going to move one of your best prospect assets, how can it not be to improve your greatest need at the big league level.

The offense got better, but the offense isn't a problem for the Jays. Everyone knows this.

As they mentioned on TSN this morning, I can only assume this move is a precursor to another move to acquire pitching help. If not, then this deal doesn't make much sense.
    That’s exactly what I’m thinking. As long as there’s another move coming, then I like this. This must be AA thinking, “Reyes has ‘lost’ x amount of games due to late inning errors. Tulo will eliminate that”. Also Tulo hits 3rd with the rockies, I wonder where he’ll hit with the Jays?
    Travis, Donaldson, Tulo, Bautista, Edwin?

Or do you keep Travis in the 9 hole and go:
    Tulo, Donaldson, Bautista, Edwin?

Tulo’s offense vs Reyes’s offense I don’t even think can be that big of an upgrade. Like it is a bat upgrade, but Reyes is a better base runner.

Reyes’s dWAR is -0.6 and his oWAR is 1.7, and Tulo’s dWAR is +0.3 and oWAR is like 1.8. Like it seems minimal for the price. And when Reyes hit, the rest of the Jays followed it seemed like, I really hope it doesn’t ruin that ‘snowball’ effect.

I...am your father.

First off, as a Toronto-area resident who watches a fair amount of Blue Jays games, is in one baseball keeper league (though admittedly still learning), and listens to Baseball Central on FAN590 maybe a half a show per week (whenever I'm in the car, really) - never heard of Hoffman. So tell me about him. What did the Jays give up? I've heard of Castro, I've heard of Norris, Copeland, Boyd, Pompey, Guerrero...so they gave up a prospect who isn't among the five that I know. And according to this: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=tor he's ranked behind Pompey who frankly doesn't impress me. Anyway, interested in your thoughts.

And second off - now it should be clear to Jays fans what the market for pitching is. Colorado got a pitcher who is very close. A starting pitcher. And they had to give up Tulo to get it done. For the Jays to get an established starter, it would involve a complicated deal, more players (including getting one or two that they don't want), and giving up a key guy. I think it's unlikely.

Third - it looks like Tulo will play 122 or more games this year, which would be the fifth time in seven years. Not as bad as I thought

Dobber Sports Deity

Hoffman was a top 10 pick for the Jays last year. He was considered one of, if not the best, pitcher in the draft but underwent TJ surgery, which hurt his draft postition (even though the Jays still took him at 9). He's already moved up to AA ball for them and was probably, next to Stroman, the one pitcher teams asked for when the Jays were shopping for pitching.

From everywhere I have read, the guy has crazy upside.

https://twitter.com/pgammo/status/625961601028497412

NL evaluator:"Jeff Hoffman can be special. Up to 99, great slider, aggressive. Frontline big leaguer in time."

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Coming off TJ he was throwing 93mph, 4 starts later he’s back up to 97mph. Dude throws fireballs. His curve after being in single A has become a ridiculous pitch. He’s changed his approach and it’s less “standing and all arms” to use of his lower body more. So he’s learning to pitch with his whole body now and doesn’t have any control issues based on a new delivery.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jeff-...-from-surgery/

He’s 6’4” which helps with a natural downward throwing motion too. And as a heater thrower, it makes it easier to get a 99mph fastball up on top of the zone, which a lot of batters have issues with when the ball is coming in that hot. Either they swing through it because they can’t keep their hands up there, or they pop it up and back, or up and an easy fly ball.

Castro will be a RP more than likely. Hoffman could see action middle next yr with the rockies out of the BP, then get into starting in 2017 (just my guess). He’s still coming off TJS and the Rockies are in no need of him right now. The thing is, what can they get for Reyes? I can’t see them really wanting to keep him.

Tulo was being sat like every 5th game to keep him healthy for a trade. So instead of sitting with the Jays, he’ll likely DH instead. So he’ll play more games with the Jays than a straight projection would indicate. Unless the turf effs him up.

Dobber Sports Stud

I cant see Tulo sticking in toronto. Maybe they move him to SD for an Upton rental and Tyson Ross. I think its funny that Toronto got a Troy and a LaTroy in the same deal..

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    I cant see Tulo sticking in toronto. Maybe they move him to SD for an Upton rental and Tyson Ross. I think its funny that Toronto got a Troy and a LaTroy in the same deal..
    Well only a contender would want Tulo, and what contender has an ace for sale? I see this as a sell Reyes while he has the SS ability still (AKA Hanley Ramirez). LaTroy becomes an 7th/8th inning guy, so our late inning throwers are Sanchez, Osuna, Schultz, and LaTroy. And if things go right Stroman is added in as a 7th/8th inning throwing in September.

To me this deal only helps the Jays if they get a pitcher, and they don’t really have a lot of trading chips left. Norris, Goins, Pompey (don’t really like him anyways), and Stroman are their only chips. Stroman won’t be sold unless it’s a big haul, and might as well trade Norris now considering they are going for it now.

Dobber Sports Stud

If he is in fact staying, they better lay some grass down rather quickly cause that turf is going to eat him up... OR,,,DH him.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    If he is in fact staying, they better lay some grass down rather quickly cause that turf is going to eat him up... OR,,,DH him.
    Aren't the Jays changing their grounds from turf to natural grass in the next year?

I do agree that the turf doesn't bode well for the oft-injured Tulowitzki but if the Jays are planning on changing their turf, this deal works well for them.