Thread: Hudler vs Nichushkin

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Hudler vs Nichushkin

I could potentially swap Hudler for Nichushkin and a pick in the league in signature. I was the champion last season but I have an aging core of forwards and I'm really thin on draft picks. I would protect both Nich and TT next season to get a bit younger even though my core would let me compete again.

In my position, would you do that type of move? Am I underselling Hudler / getting caught in the Nich hype? Another player I would be ready to move instead of Hudler is Steen. Thanks for the replies and REP coming for good insight.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Hudler vs Nichushkin

From what I've read Nichushkin is going to get every opportunity to succeed next season.

Management and coaching are both very high on him. so much so that neither has committed to saying that P Sharp would play with Seguin and Benn.

I think Nichushkin ends up on the top line just like he did 2 years ago. They had amazing chemistry.

and Im not so ready to give P Sharp a pass for the horrible year he had last season.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm a huge Nischuskin supporter. I also feel he will get the big spot on a line with Sequin and Benn. If you can move Hudler who I personally think topped out his production last year for him, do it. Big bonus if you can also gain a draft pick in the deal. Nishchuskin should produce similar to Hudler and is much younger. I would rate Hudler and Steen pretty even, so whichever one got the better pick back is who I would try and move. Hudler surprised a lot of people last year, and I don't think he will have it so easy this season. He will definitely get the opposing teams toughest checking line and D against him because Calgary has very limited offensive options.

Dobber Sports Legend

I would make the deal. Hudler will outscore Nichushkin for a year or 2 but the big fella will eventually be a beast. I'm a believer - he has 40 goal potential IMO.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

I think it's great time for you to start looking to infuse some youthful talent into your solid veteran lineup. And a Hudler for Nichu + swap is precisely the kind of deal I LOVE to make (at the right time) in a keeper league.

I do think Hudler will put together another solid season so be prepared that you'll almost certainly lose straight up on Nichushkin for him over the next couple of years. But with the depth of your lineup, I think you can sustain it since I expect Nichu to put up respectable numbers before fully hitting his stride (plus you'll be getting a pick).

There's obviously a risk involved with taking a young, unproven player, but for me, there's also a risk in Hudler repeating his season. I like taking on the Nichu risk more.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Veteran

I can't see Hudler repeating last season numbers.
    Nichuskin value will only raise.
    Even if Hudler could outpoint Nich next season, I think trade value is the key here.
    While your team will not necessarily gain in points, it will surely gain in trade value.
    I'd do the trade and be happy to get Nich and a pick.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    I can't see Hudler repeating last season numbers.
    Nichuskin value will only raise.
    Even if Hudler could outpoint Nich next season, I think trade value is the key here.
    While your team will not necessarily gain in points, it will surely gain in trade value.
    I'd do the trade and be happy to get Nich and a pick.
    Valid point, and Hudler's value will never be that high either. That's why I've been dangling him to get an interesting prospect in return.

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    I think it's great time for you to start looking to infuse some youthful talent into your solid veteran lineup. And a Hudler for Nichu + swap is precisely the kind of deal I LOVE to make (at the right time) in a keeper league.

I do think Hudler will put together another solid season so be prepared that you'll almost certainly lose straight up on Nichushkin for him over the next couple of years. But with the depth of your lineup, I think you can sustain it since I expect Nichu to put up respectable numbers before fully hitting his stride (plus you'll be getting a pick).

There's obviously a risk involved with taking a young, unproven player, but for me, there's also a risk in Hudler repeating his season. I like taking on the Nichu risk more.
    Yeah, the risk involving Hudler is real as well. His on-ice % was way too high last season at 12.38 and his PDO too at 1031... CGY as a team should regress, just like COL did last season imo. What makes me hesitate is the fact that Hudler has amazing chemistry with Johnny Hockey. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome of that negotiation. REP distributed, cheers.

Dobber Sports Deity

Hudler is an under-valued asset and rarely gets the love he deserves.

Personally, I think he's worth a lot more than Nichushkin and a pick but it's unlikely others will see it that way because of the lack of respect he garners in fantasy circles.

Just because Colorado regressed doesn't necessarily mean that Calgary will. The Flame's defense is rock-solid (unlike Colorado's) and I believe they have enough horses up front to keep them rolling along nicely.

Have you actually tried shopping Hudler/Steen or is this just the first offer to come your way?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Hudler is an under-valued asset and rarely gets the love he deserves.

Personally, I think he's worth a lot more than Nichushkin and a pick but it's unlikely others will see it that way because of the lack of respect he garners in fantasy circles.

Just because Colorado regressed doesn't necessarily mean that Calgary will. The Flame's defense is rock-solid (unlike Colorado's) and I believe they have enough horses up front to keep them rolling along nicely.

Have you actually tried shopping Hudler/Steen or is this just the first offer to come your way?
    He's undervalued that's for sure, he was my last pick in our redraft last season... He was a main reason I won first place. But there isn't a lot of interest in him from other GM's. I've scouted about half of them, and the Nich owner was the only one being interested. I actually I targeted Nich from the beginning. Young players are highly valued in my league and there was a fit between our squads. As of now, the offer is Nich and two 4th picks for Hudler. As I said, the main objective in shopping Hudler was to get younger and better my draft position. What type of return would you expect in a points only league Axeman?

I guess it really depends on what Hudler will do next season. If he gets back to the 55 points range, this would be an excellent return imo because that's the type of players that are easily redraftable in my setup. If he does like Pavelski / Steen and he confirms with a 2nd very good season, then it might look like a lost gamble...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    He's undervalued that's for sure, he was my last pick in our redraft last season... He was a main reason I won first place. But there isn't a lot of interest in him from other GM's. I've scouted about half of them, and the Nich owner was the only one being interested. I actually I targeted Nich from the beginning. Young players are highly valued in my league and there was a fit between our squads. As of now, the offer is Nich and two 4th picks for Hudler. As I said, the main objective in shopping Hudler was to get younger and better my draft position. What type of return would you expect in a points only league Axeman?

I guess it really depends on what Hudler will do next season. If he gets back to the 55 points range, this would be an excellent return imo because that's the type of players that are easily redraftable in my setup. If he does like Pavelski / Steen and he confirms with a 2nd very good season, then it might look like a lost gamble...
    It's hard to say what type of return you can get because I don't know your league well enough to judge this. I just know that in most leagues, Hudler is grossly under-valued and Nichushkin is grossly over-valued as he hasn't proven anything yet. Sure, we can all guesstimate what he will do in the future but that's all it is, a guess.

You say if Hudler gets to the 55 point that this would be an excellent return but it's an excellent return in name-value only. Nichushkin is simply a name that everyone is buying but everyone knows names don't win hockey pools, numbers do. There is nothing wrong with a 55 point forward in today's NHL. When Nichushkin hits 55 points, then this type of return may look good but until then, Hudler's 55 points help you win more than the name of Nichushkin.

Either way, that's my ramble this morning on a bit of proven vs potential. Most guys want the proven, then they look at the names and their tune changes. Funny about that eh?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You say if Hudler gets to the 55 point that this would be an excellent return but it's an excellent return in name-value only. Nichushkin is simply a name that everyone is buying but everyone knows names don't win hockey pools, numbers do. There is nothing wrong with a 55 point forward in today's NHL. When Nichushkin hits 55 points, then this type of return may look good but until then, Hudler's 55 points help you win more than the name of Nichushkin.

Either way, that's my ramble this morning on a bit of proven vs potential. Most guys want the proven, then they look at the names and their tune changes. Funny about that eh?
    I completely agree with that philosophy, that's why I won the championship last season. While many GM's were reaching for players, I drafted or acquired guys like Hudler, Steen and Zetterberg. I guess I'm getting caught as well in that name-game, but at some point I think you also have to gamble a bit on younger players that could breakout. Otherwise, it's impossible to acquire them (see Tarasenko, TJohnson, etc...). Before last season, Hudler had zero value before our redraft and Nich was even more hyped among our GM's so there was no way I could do that trade... Things can change wildly. I will ponder that trade a bit more. Thanks for chiming in this morning Axe!

Dobber Sports Stud

Deal is done, Nich + two 4th rounders for Hudler and a 7th and a 8th (my last two picks of the redraft).