Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 43 83 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1398

Thread: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Agreed. These guys have already made their mark on the league… and it’s still the off season!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

And now for our recent volunteer to be interviewed, Mr. Rebel…

Are you happy with how you have built your team after taking it over last year?

I'm happy with it for the most part. As always with any fantasy team, there are areas of need to fill, trades/moves you wish you had or had not made, and if the goal is to win back some money and win a championship, well then I'm still a little short of the goal. All in all though, I like the roster I have at the moment, as it should have a solid competitive window, can compete with any team on any given week, and still has a couple solid prospects coming up the pipeline.

What advice would you give the new GMs in the league after being in their shoes last year?

I think this is a really fun league, and that the great group of GMs really enhances the fantasy experience here. I will say that the more you reach out, getting to know other GMs, and just keeping in contact, really helps with general league discussions, and doesn't hurt for when you're trying to make a change to your roster.

The rules are also worth re-reading again now that we're in-season and the new GMs have their feet wet. I know I got burned by the max-five goalies rule, and maybe one or two others in-season.

Also, make sure your Cs are in the C slots and not in the F slots. Sometimes that can make the difference in a match!

What draws you into play fantasy hockey, as in why do you enjoy it?

I love board games, strategy games, and most sports, so fantasy hockey is kind of an amalgamation of all of that. I grew up with hockey, and have found a lot of enjoyment in becoming an avid fantasy GM. I find it rewarding in that it gives me something to spend some spare time on, it introduces me to a bunch of really interesting people in my leagues, and it also can be something pleasant to fall back on when you're having a terrible day.

Who is the team you support in NHL?

I follow the Leafs and the Predators the most. I grew up with my dad being a casual Leafs fan in Toronto, so following them was inevitable. When I really started watching a few games, Paul Karina was mesmerizing to watch on the ice. I followed his run with the Ducks to the finals in 2003, and then when he moved to the Predators in 2005 I kept watching him there. I also followed the rest of the team more at that point, guys like Vokoun, Timmonen, etc, and ended up just continuing to be an avid Nashville follower over the years as the Timmonen era turned over to Weber's time, and now to Josi.

Who on your fantasy team will break out and surprise this year?

Brassard has already been a bit of a nice surprise, but it's kind of hard to make those kind of statements about guys who have played half a dozen games already. I think Calle Jarnkrok should surprise a bit as well with a bit more of an offensive role in Seattle, and a healthy Pavel Francouz should exceed expectations too. Otherwise most of my guys are either too young to make an impact, have high expectations already (McMichael/Dobson), or are already in/past their prime.

Who is untouchable on your team?

I never have untouchables, but I think there are a few guys like Marchand, Huberdeau, Dobson, and Campbell that are extremely valuable to my team this year and next, that I doubt I would receive an offer sufficient enough at any point that would entice me to move them.

Considering Hertl is the only player left from my initial squad I took over, I guess it at least shows I can hold onto someone for over a year!

How’s fatherhood treating you Alex?

Fatherhood is great and also difficult. It's already super rewarding though, and I can tell that is only going to continue to grow exponentially.
    I'm super lucky to have a wife that cares as much as she does, and that we're generally on the same page about how we want to approach all the important things. I'm also very lucky to have the happy and healthy baby I do. She's three months not and is already sleeping 7-9 hours straight at night.

How has your perspective on life changed since becoming a Father?

I don't think my perspective has really changed. I think my priorities have shifted a bit, and there's less time for my own things and to get stuff done around the house, etc, but there wasn't some huge enlightenment or anything with the arrival of my daughter. Family has always come first, and still does, now there's just another one to plan around, worry about, and consider when making decisions.
    I was also a little caught off guard at how much having a baby does take over your life though, so I guess in that way my perspective has shifted in that things that used to take up a lot of my spare thinking time, I have hardly any brain power left for.

Why on Earth did you choose to take on Toews $10m contract?

When you have a top of bargain contracts elsewhere on your roster, you can take a chance on a big ticket like Toews. Worst case is he doesn't pan out and I suddenly have 10M in free space to make upgrades.
    I hate that I have him on my team during this Blackhawks scandal though. Hoping he starts putting up points so I can trade him.

WHL Championship prediction? NHL Cup Final prediction?
    I think I had said Moose before the season, so I'm going to stick with that and have them beating the Nats.

Cup final I had Vegas over Florida before the season. I'm going to stick with that for now, assuming Vegas makes the playoffs....
    Follow me @WHLrumourmill for rumblings from around the World Hockey League

Dobber Sports Titan

Please note these answers were sent in weeks ago, just in case something looks outdated.

Thanks for the interview though Mr Insider! Though I missed being able to ask you a question. Maybe next time.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Great interview Alex & of course the Insider!

Always a pleasure to peak behind the curtain on fellow GMs to see how they think and what their life outside of fantasy hockey is like.

Can't wait for the next interview!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Stud

Whoa... Predicting the #Moose to win the WHL.... tell me more....

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Titan

Moose are in a great spot with one of the top pts for teams, depth through the lineup, and the boldness to make some deals at the deadline. That boldness also lends itself well to some extra luck from the hockey gods, which is what you really need to be able to win it all. So that's my reasoning there
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Sage

Great interview, EB... I better start setting up some Moose traps, I guess.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Titan

Nothing against your team VV, looking like the early team to beat with that top points for standing.
    I'll help you set the Moose traps.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Nothing against your team VV, looking like the early team to beat with that top points for standing.
    I'll help you set the Moose traps.
    Dont worry... I will trade away any chance of making the playoffs...

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The WHL apologizes for not having a site update in a year and a half! Ruh-Roh.
    Season 8 has just finished - with the most impressive team season in the history of the league.
    Congrats to the Vancouver Voodoo for sweeping all awards:

1st in Overall Team Points!
    1st in Best Head-to-Head Record!
    Winner of the Championship Tier!

The Most Incredible Season in WHL History!

Congratulations to the Vancouver Voodoo
    WHL Season 8 CHAMPIONS!

(Crosby & Ovechkin may have missed the playoffs in the NHL... but they didn't miss them in WHL!)
    Well done Lee, a very excellent season!!!

whl-s8-voodoo1.PNG

whl-s8-voodoo2.PNG

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Final Regular Season Standings:

whl-s8-reg.PNG

And Playoff Finals in Championship, Middle, and Lower Tier Brackets:

whl-s8-playoffs.PNG

Dobber Sports Prodigy

And now…with no further adieu… here is one of the two new WHL GMs…Axeman33! Interesting fave player of Libor Hayek…

What got you into fantasy hockey?

Many moons ago, a buddy of mine asked if I wanted to join a league he was in. I really didn't know much about fantasy hockey but I watched a lot of hockey so I figured why not. Back then, there was no internet. You bought magazines and did your research that way. You waited for the Tuesday newspaper to see the weekly stats and added up your player points to see how you were doing. I was instantly hooked.

What made you decide to join the WHL?

I considered it in the past when vacancies popped up but I rarely play money leagues online. I'm in a few with friends and coworkers but I'm wary sending money online. I talked with EB and he mentioned who was in there and knowing he and P7 run the league, I felt confident this was a legit league. I also know the competition here is top notch and who doesn't want to compete with the best of the best.

What was your team building strategy for the dispersal draft?

Win sooner rather than later. I wanted to be competitive out of the gate.

What is the most interesting thing you’ve discovered about the WHL?

The amount of offseason activity.

Who are some NHL players you enjoy watching? Past or present.

You have to appreciate I'm old. I turn 54 tomorrow actually. I remember watching Guy Lafleur and loved seeing him fly down the wing. That love rolled into Gretzky. Those are probably my favorites from the past. Hayek is another. As far as today's talent, it's McDavid. He gets you right out of your seat at times.

What made you select your team name?

I'm from the Annapolis Valley in NS and growing up, the Valley Wildcats was the hockey rep teams name I played on. Even today, the main teams down there still go by that name

What is your occupation and how did you get into that?

I'm a Weapons Engineering Technician Manager in the Royal Canadian Navy. I manage electronic techs who repair the gear on ships but right now, I'm posted to the Naval Engineering school. I manage students who are there going to school, doing their engineering academics. I describe it to my wife as a firefighter/babysitter. I babysit kids and put out fires all the time.

What is one vacation you enjoyed? And what is one vacation you want to go on but haven’t yet?

Best vacation was when the family took a road trip to Ontario to visit family, do some shopping and hit up a few Jays games. One vacation my wife and I plan to do is go to Vimy Ridge and tour the area. Definitely on my bucket list.

What interests do you have outside of fantasy hockey?

I play and sing old country on my acoustic guitar. I brew craft beer with my buddy. The wife and I bought a RV a couple years ago during Covid and we get our money's worth out of that too. I still play beer league hockey with friends too.

What is one real world accomplishment (non fantasy hockey) you are proud of?

Serving my country.

You can now ask me one question....

Who's is the WHLInsider?

It’s me…

Dobber Sports Stud

Fun interview Axe! I always enjoy getting to know the great GMs in the WHL better and to see their lives outside fantasy hockey is always refreshing.

Also, thank you for your service to our country.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Superstar

Great to have you on board Axe, nice to have someone else who loves craft beer in league.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Time to learn about the other new GM in the WHL ….

What got you into fantasy hockey?

Actually, my son did. He was in a small ESPN league, just eight teams, and we knew each other. But I thought (and now I know) it made me a better hockey fan. Knowledge is power, right?

What made you decide to join the WHL?

I had six leagues last year, and gave up my only points league, because I did not like how it was being run. Six seemed about right. Quite honestly, I had planned to join just a standard, low-key Yahoo league as my sixth, but when this became available, and knowing several of the managers, it was a slam dunk.

What was your team building strategy for the dispersal draft?

Yeah, after I traded half of it?? Strategy was pretty easy. Take Saros first. After that, I really didn’t worry much about the salary. Figuring I could deal with that over the summer. I basically feel that depth is important in fantasy hockey, just like the real thing. The guy with McDavid doesn’t win any more than the rest of us. Guys like Zacha and Hartman tend to be good picks.

What is the most interesting thing you’ve discovered about the WHL?

I have never use the trade block much. Some of you guys are addicted to it.

Who are some NHL players you enjoy watching? Past or present.

Ok, so I’m a Penguins fan. This will make 17 years of having season tix, one row from the glass. Letang (I have 3 of his jerseys).

What made you select your team name?

Proximity. My summer place is in inland Maine. Maine Moose was taken.

What is your occupation and how did you get into that?

Really cool occupation - retirement. Retired general surgeon, 45 years of that (after graduation from med school). How? Too many medical doctors are the ones who get up to a limit of their knowledge and their practice standards. The general surgeon is very often who they call for help. I have always considered my clientele to be both the patients, and also the other healthcare workers, including docs.

What is one vacation you enjoyed? And what is one vacation you want to go on but haven’t yet?

Tie between a 3 week trekking in Nepal (no, not climbing Everest, but up near base camp), and also a 2- week to Australia - both of these at my kids’ ages (teens) that they were a big part of the fun.

What interests do you have outside of fantasy hockey?

Golf and lake life (kayak and power ski boat) in summer - - this will be my first full winter not working, but season tix, travel, a cruise or an island, I’ll figure it out.

What is one real world accomplishment (non fantasy hockey) you are proud of?

My last place to work - 6 years in rural Maine where I was “it,” the senior guy?? Everyone I operated upon (probably 2500-3000), all went home. Zero deaths. It changed the outlook that the community had of that hospital. CEO told me that.