Page 87 of 94 FirstFirst ... 37 77 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1398

Thread: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Bwahaha, awesome interview bobby!
    One of the cornerstones of the WHL league identity!!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Day 2 of the 5 in 5.....And now let’s get to know Glasgow Kiss GM....

What got you into fantasy hockey?
    Many years ago bunch of university buddies living in residence decided to start a pool, manual stats every Tuesday in Wpg Free Press, and have been hooked ever since. Still have auction pool going on now for 30 years. Love the competition of trying to win.

What made you decide to join the WHL?
    Was looking for a dynasty $ pool at the time. Previous dynasty pool I was in was a free pool and only lasted 4 years. It was folding, lots of issues with managers needing replacing and not being active and WHL had a few openings. Decided I needed to get into a $ pool. The timing ended up being perfect and could see right off the bat it was a well run pool with active managers. Also like the competition of dealing with managers that know there stuff. Been more than once that the player I was targeting in drafts got picked just before it was my turn. WHL is great pool with great managers. Ready to start competing with the big boys, coming after the Piemaster, Voodoo, NLN ...

What was your team building strategy when you joined the WHL? Has it changed since joining?

Being previously in a dynasty league knew that cap management was important, but also new that you needed to get established players, young players with upside, draft picks and some goaltending. Strategy hasn't changed too much since start, maybe not to overpay for players on my favourite team.

What made you select your team name?
    Since it is WHL decided to go with my Scottish heritage and birthplace.
    Google " what is Glasgow Kiss"

Best trade you’ve made?
    In the WHL the ones I didn't make, keeping Kaprizov and Shesterkin. Most trades I have done have benefitted both parties.

Worst trade you’ve made?

My first real trade in this a league Bobrovsky, R Strome, F Forsberg for P Laine, J Armia, S Darling
    - knew it was an overpay for Laine
    - but Darling couldn't have turned out to be a worse acquisition.
    - trade probably set me back 2 years, but still happy I got Laine
    - Should have just drafted him with the first pick - lol - figured it was better to have a starting goalie

What interests do you have outside of fantasy hockey?

Main interest is curling - use to be very competitive, husband of world champion.
    Trying to get better at golf now - not working very well
    Coached my kids soccer for 15 years and managed hockey - miss that, now that they are grown up.

What is one real world accomplishment (non fantasy hockey) you are proud of?

Was chairman of sponsorship committee for 2013 Provincial Ladies "Scotties" Curling Championship in our town, budgeted for $60000 and we ended up raising over $90000. Curling is big in Manitoba.

What is your current occupation and how did you get into it?

Sales - just morphed into sales, also gave me time for some of my other extra curricular activities.

What WHL GM would you most like to have a beer with and why?

Would like to have a beer with all the GM's. - We drink craft beer.

We can start with Voodoo - love his passion - can give him some parenting tips they grow up too fast.
    Then Bobby, Pengy, Dryden, ....... sounds like I need a good road trip.

What is one thing you would change about the WHL and why?

Annual general meeting with all GM's - we can then have a beer or two

You can now ask me one question....

Who is your favorite NHL player that you would like to go out for a beer with and why?
    This one is tough, never just one to name. I think Paul Coffey would be interesting, having played with some of the greatest of all time, won cups, played with an original six, etc.
    Follow me @WHLrumourmill for rumblings from around the World Hockey League

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sweet interview. And dropped the Husband of a world champion curler. Well now I need to know who. My wife is a curling fanatic and grew up with a highly decorated men’s curler who is married to a highly decorated ladies curler. So relevant tease!

Well done gents!

Dobber Sports Initiate

interesting interview, nice job raising all that money Magic, Im sure it took a lot of hard work from many people! I was interested to look up the curling team from 2013 and it looks like they did very well taking home the silver!
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Padawan

First two beauty interviews. Feel sorry for who has to follow today after those guys.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Well, Glorybe to the Mr. Pieman. Good lucK!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Day 3 is upon us....some late night editing but got this one up in time, let me present to you....GM of the Amsterdam Red Lights....

I've been into hockey since I was 3 years old. Fantasy hockey was just a natural progression. I've been playing since about 14 as a way to get more immersed/knowledgeable about the game.

Nothing more than I've always wanted to be in a league with Peng.

What was your team building strategy when you joined the WHL? Has it changed since joining?

I don't believe I really had much of a strategy at the start. Not entirely sure I have one now either haha.

I was in the middle of a 6 week Europe trip when the league started. At the time of drafting I was actually in Amsterdam.

Best trade you’ve made?

I think I've generally gotten very good value on trading back, but in year 1 I traded Backlund, Ryan White, and a 3rd for Barzal and Melker Karlsson.

Worst trade you’ve made?

Not even up for debate. Teravainen, Konecny, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 8th for Bennett, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th. I was convinced Bennett was going to be a 90 point star. Coincidentally, the night this trade was accepted Bennett had a 4 goal game. I was certainly flying high haha.

Pretty sports centric. Play hockey in the winter, football and golf in the summer. Travel a lot.

Part of a small group that planned a music festival.

Reservoir engineer. Started as an internship out of school.

LVT - Same city, we've already been trying to set something up.
    Peng/Ducks - Co-comissioners, just would be fun to sit down with them.

Given autonomy, what one rule change would you make to the WHL.

The league seems as close to perfect as can be when it comes to rules already....I think that is why there aren’t really any off season rule changes. I guess if I must pick, I would have an expansion draft, expanding to 25 teams so that I can join the league.

Dobber Sports Initiate

wait, what?? So the WHL Insider is NOT a WHL GM? Is this fake news?
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Fun interview with Mr.Taylor!!!
    Love my two co-commissioners in the WHL who always help me keep the ship sailing straight!!!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Another solid interview of another solid GM and Honourable mentions to Peng and District 5.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

GM of the great Pietaster franchise has stepped up on short notice to keep the 5 in 5 rolling along here on day 4....

How have you been dealing with day to day in this “new normal”?

This craziness? Overall not bad, but have had moments of going crazy. Working from home, with two kids hasn't been as productive as I would like. We are making the best of everything, seems to get a bit more 'normal' with every passing day.

Have you ever changed your strategy since joining the league?
    My strategy has adapted, I've done more research since the start, read alot more into numbers and drafting, not sure if I've been any better though, I value picks more in the last year, everyone is cap aware now so no more free wheeling there. My strategy overall though has stayed the same, try to go against the grain, zig while the others zag - probably why I haven't won an Insider poll on trades for a couple years!

What was one sport you wish you were good at but weren’t?
    I was built to be a swimmer, I just hate cold water.

Is there a trade you didn’t make in the past....that you wish you had accepted in hindsight? Most of my best trades are ones that they didn't accept to be honest. I don't get many offers out of the blue, if any at all, I blame taking everyone's money for the last 5 years as the reason.

Why did you join the WHL?
    I had a pretty solid thread called "Glorybe's fantasy workshop" for two years, did alot of custom logos for some of Dobber forum members, was a blast. I saw the WHL post about a month late, emailed Peng saying it looks awesome and look forward to watching it develop, keep tabs on it. Peng asked me to join. I think he liked the idea of a graphic designer helping out with his league, which I was happy to do. The rest has been history, my fav league I've been apart of.

Which GM would you most like to have a beer with & why?
    I think most of the guys would be great to sit down with and have a beer. After a couple of zoom calls this year, I feel all those guys would be great to shoot the s__t with and have some laughs. HOWEVER, the Voodoo franchise... not a chance... sworn enemy - that franchise, man.... how long do we have here?

What is your go to drink?
    Zero Issue Nemesis IPA, here in Calgary. Love that beer and company.

If you could go anywhere on vacation, where would it be and why?
    Boston is first on my list, I'm a life long B's fan.

Are you dressing up for Halloween, and if so, what is your costume?
    Well my one daughter is dressing up like a T-Rex, so I better do my best John Hammond old man look, or a giant meteor not sure.

Have you ever dressed up as a Pie?
    Haha, I haven't! I have dressed up as a giant popsicle back in my 20's though! Popsicle Pete if anyone remembers. Pie related though, I am working on some Pietaster merchandise!, and if it wasn't for Covid I would have paid a visit to the actual town of Braham this year for Pie Day for shits and giggles. Trip cancelled.

What is your go to Halloween candy?
    Ooof, can't beat an old classic popcorn ball. Very rare to see these days.

You may now ask me one question....
    How do you see the next season playing out? The possibility of only a few teams playing at 2 week intervals at a time and switching out, do you see the WHL adjusting team vs. team weekly matchups to some other format? If so what?

That is a lot of questions when I only allow 1. So I will address the first one.
    My prediction is for divisions that are localized to nearby teams, in a condensed, shortened season that all play concurrently, then playoffs are completed similar to this season with bubble type style.

Dobber Sports Stud

Man,, no one wants to have a beer with the #Moose.....

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Man,, no one wants to have a beer with the #Moose.....
    No... they don’t.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

And here you have it....GM of the Road Runners Mr. Lemmy....

A few guys I was working with started a yahoo league, they needed to fill it and asked me. This was 15 years ago and hooked ever since.

Needed a new challenge, won a few leagues and was new to cap league so this looked interesting.

At the draft it was just best player available, after that it was just to make moves to keep competitive. Now i focus on youth and cap hits, the cap league strategy is still alot of learning for me and made many mistakes trying to make things work.

I moved to Edmonton many years ago, at the time the Oilers had there farm team here for one season. They were the Roadrunners and it was affordable and really liked the jerseys and team.

Best trade you’ve made?

This really turned things in the right direction after picking first the season before. I moved Hishier and Kravstov to a rebuilding team for Malkin, Marchand, and Sandin.

Worst trade you’ve made?

Not sure what i was thinking with this one.

I traded josi, wilson, lehtonen, thornton and vanek for Shattenkirk, namesnikov, Elliott, Zajac and Foligno.

Big heavy metal and live concert fan, also a decent size hockey memorabilia collection. Mostly game used items.

Leaving the east coast of canada with nothing and becoming a home owner and making a good life out west.

Equipment operator with the city, had some experience and just kept applying.

All of them, why not I love beer.

If you could change one thing in the WHL what would it be and why?

I think we have made enough changes, things are competitive and it works.

Which WHL team would you bet on as a long shot to win next season.

Rebels or Monsters

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Another gem!