Page 83 of 94 FirstFirst ... 33 73 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 93 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1398

Thread: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Thank you to GM of the Firebirds....

What got you into fantasy hockey?

A buddy of mine got me started with the local office pool. Points only, I think there were about 8 or 10 of us in that pool. I did fairly well that year and it came down to my buddy and me for the championship. He won, but I was hooked and have been in some kind of pool every year since.

What made you decide to join the WHL?

I had a fair amount of success with our office pools and was looking for a bigger challenge. I felt I was ready to see how I could do against the "big boys" and I was fortunate enough Penguin selected me to be a member of the WHL. I also participated in 3 other pools in addition to the WHL that year and 3 of the 4 pools I entered at that time are still going today, but the WHL is the most challenging and most fun to be part of. It is also the most active - by far!

You clearly made a dramatic shift recently with your numerous trades to add players to help compete now, compared to re-building, what made you change strategy mid season?

I don’t see it as a change in strategy. It was more like an evolution. I was on the fence about being a buyer or seller this year. After being near the bottom of the league for the last 4 years, my team had finally started to be more competitive. After the short week my record was 8-9 which I thought was pretty good considering my opposition were the big guns of the league. The Thunder was our next match-up and I knew I was in tough against them, but after that I felt I had a good chance to do fairly well for the balance of the schedule - with some changes. I was happy with my D & G but needed to improve my Forwards. This year I have also been spared so far on the injury front (knock on wood!) - so I decided to go for it. I managed to keep my core in place while improving my Forwards. Time will tell if it all works out and I still have time to tweak my lineup before the trade deadline, if necessary. It would be nice to make the playoffs but that is a long shot in my opinion however I feel I have a realistic chance to move up a Tier if I finish well.

Which WHL GM would you like to grab a beer with?

Tough question. There are so many good GMs in the WHL I’d love to talk hockey with over a few beers, but I think I’d go with JP in Tampere. Finland would be a great place to visit and I’d love to talk prospects with him.

What is your go to beer?

Usually Corona - but I also like several of the draft beers you can buy in the stores now.

What interests do you have outside of fantasy hockey?

I really enjoy Curling. I used to curl quite a bit back in the day, but my knees don’t like the sport much anymore, so now it’s a spectator sport for me. I also like to go on short trips to check out the NHL cities. Visiting all 32 NHL arenas is on my bucket list and so far I’ve been to 7 - so still a long way to go. So far, the best arena to watch hockey I’ve been to is the Bell Centre in Montreal and the worst is the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto. That pains me to say it as I’m a life-long Leaf fan.

What made you choose your team name?

When I first entered the league I named my team the Flint Firebirds as my nephew played for the Plymouth Whalers in the OHL and they had just moved to Flint. I changed the name to Sierra Sasquatch after the Flint owner caused a player rebellion and I wanted to distance myself from the team that was a mess at the time. I was never really happy with the Sasquatch theme so I decided to go back to the Firebirds but I put the team out of Fresno (pop 503,000). Fresno only has college and semi-pro sports teams so the Firebirds have been welcomed with open arms and we still enjoy great fan support. There is a real buzz around the city about the moves we made and the players really enjoy the lifestyle here.

What is one real world accomplishment (non fantasy hockey) you are proud of?

There are two actually. For the first, I was asked to lead a team to develop a new Fire Management Strategy for the Province of Ontario that would direct the province on how to respond to wildfires. The strategy we developed has been modernized since then, but many of the concepts we put into the original are still in place today. The second was being a member of the first non-American Incident Management Team to be put in charge of fighting a cluster of forest fires in the USA (Montana). It’s a fairly common practice today but at the time it was a pretty big deal.

What is your current occupation and how did you get into it?

I am NOT an Engineer lol. I am a Forester and spent my career working for the government of Ontario in both the Forest Management and Fire Management programs. Working outdoors always appealed to me and when I was 17 years old I was hired as a “Junior Ranger” with the government. I really enjoyed the work so it became my life’s calling.

What would be one new idea you would like me to consider implementing?

I really like many of things the WHLInsider does - these interviews are awesome as it helps us to get to know the other GMs in the league. I also really like the polls you do after each trade and the comic relief is also great in your tweets. The one thing I would like to see you do is re-tweet all the questions (and your answers) that you get on “ask me anything” days so we can all see them. Another option would be to put them into the WHL thread in the Forum as not all WHL GMs are on Twitter.

You can now ask me one question...

There has been a lot of discussion about Goalie stats in the WHL. What are your thoughts on the current stats - keep them the way they are, or change them - and what changes would you make?

After a goalie just scored a 10.6 point game, and a 8 point game after, shows how valuable goalies can be. Has a skater ever put up 18+ points in a week, let alone in 2 games?
    Two thoughts....take the highs with the lows and leave as is.
    Or, reduce the value of shutouts slightly, and reduce the impact of goals against slightly.
    Follow me @WHLrumourmill for rumblings from around the World Hockey League

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

After a goalie just scored a 10.6 point game, and a 8 point game after, shows how valuable goalies can be. Has a skater ever put up 18+ points in a week, let alone in 2 games?

Hey... I know that guys! He’s pretty slick. I like to call him “Mack Black”

Administrator

Oh shit, didn't realize we had another guy in the fire program (or maybe I'd forgotten it). Pitbulls, you still in fire management? Where you based?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

I've worked all across the Northwest Region metaldude. Most recent stop was Thunder Bay.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

WHL trade deadline day is upon us....already seen Rantanen moved....who else is next?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Now that WHL deadline is done....here is a brief analysis of the past week of trades....it was a relatively quiet week overall.

Winners

Waxers were winners acquiring Rantanen and a first round lottery pick from the Moose. To be able to acquire one of the leagues most skilled young scorers AND a first round pick was the most impactful trade of the week. It wasn’t cheap having to part with prospects Dobson, Hayton, and Dach. There were no poll results after Moose GM predicted a sweep.

Then the Waxers were able to swing another deal taking advantage of an injury, acquiring Muzzin for Martinez.

Another winner of the week was the Cougars GM. He was able to turn Goodrow into Connolly + Leason + fourth round pick.

Losers
    No clear losers in the trades that occurred. However it was surprisingly quiet, numerous GMs reported that prices were way too high than willing to pay, so bottom teams didn’t sell off many assets, and top teams weren’t willing to pay high asking prices resulting in a very quiet deadline day/week.

Who are your winners/losers from deadline week?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Can't say as far as the trading part... but the Leafs suffered an 11th hour blow in the week losing to LVT by mere percentage points! Seriously putting a wrench into any potential playoff hopes for the RC Leafs. Really glad the only real deadline move was to acquire an injured Boyle who may not even return in time to help this team make the playoffs. And if not... we didn't lose much in the way of assets.

There was one HUGE deal being batted around by Voodoo and Leafs that I hope I don't regret not exploring more. But certainly wouldn't have helped me enough to make a difference this week and would have complicated my off season keeper plan.

Well done Praba in acquiring Rantanen and Muzzin. maybe we're seeing some signs of life out of the ole Waxers. Like the brain of a walker re-animating... watch out!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Well we finally got the interview completed....here you can learn more about Canadiens GM and his late blossoming love for twinkies....

I have to start by asking what is with the Twinkie Grand Canyon photo....must be a story there?

Not really too exciting a story. My wife and I went to the Grand Canyon before my sister-in-law’s wedding. I have a huge sweet tooth. I had never had a Twinkie, but had obviously always heard about them. I always wanted to try one, so I grabbed one on the way to Grand Canyon and had my wife take a photo of my first bite. For the record, it was very disappointing. The ones in Canada, such as Mae West or Swiss Rolls, are so much better.

I had always done points-only pools with some friends, but it was the type that was draft only and that was it. No trades, no waiver wires, no anything like that. I had heard of keeper pools, and I was working with a few buddies who were also into fantasy hockey. So we started our own keeper pool. Points only, but it was a keep-15 plus two rookies. That got me into other pools.

I was in a few other pools, but there were some issues with them (for example, one pool limited GMs to five trades a year, but the commish found there were too many deals, and mid-season, brought it down to two or three). So I was on the lookout for something that had more freedom but was also in-depth. This seemed like a good idea, and since we all know other people on the forum, you knew they would be dedicated.

Which WHL GM would you like to share a Twinkie with?
    Not a Twinkie, but a Swiss Roll. Probably Pengwin. He’s a very smart guy in the league and forum, so it would be fun to sit with him and talk about all things math, hockey and fantasy hockey.

How do you come up with your top ten article ideas?
    No idea sometimes. There are always some stand-bys, such as waiver wire additions. Plus the end-of-season stuff and pre-season (my favourite is trying to come up with 10 potential first-time 70-point players). Generally, I try to think of ideas that help fantasy general managers. I would never do a column about the top 10 centres, because everyone can pretty much figure it out and isn’t really helpful. But a column about the top 10 centres that could break out next year helps both rookie and veteran general managers.
    Some ideas come from just looking at statistics, or hearing something on the radio/TV that makes me want to delve into the stat more. For instance, someone had posted in the forum last year about the Kings, and I had mentioned that Doughty was overvalued because of his name. That got me thinking about who else might be overvalued because of name, and voila, a column was born.
    Some columns are just natural (trade topics around trade deadline, for example). I’ve written more than 300 top 10 columns at this point, so I’m always trying to think of new ideas or new angles. I’m always open to suggestions.

Will you ever do a “top ten WHL moments” as one of your articles?
    No. Simply because that isn’t really helpful to fantasy general managers. However, I do write a column each summer about our draft. I get the GMs in our league to give me a couple of lines about why they chose that player at that spot. I figure since our draft is before most other leagues have theirs, it gives GMs a chance to see how their draft might go. They could think of it almost as a mock draft.

I play a few sports, but that has dialed back since I had kids/tore my ACL/had Lyme disease. When I met my wife, I was playing three sports on Sundays alone (curling in the morning, ultimate frisbee in the afternoon and men’s ball hockey at night). Now it’s mostly ultimate, but I want to get back into volleyball next fall.
    Aside from that, poker would be my next biggest interest. I enjoy watching and playing. If online, I just do online. But I have a monthly poker league I belong to.

What made you choose your team name?
    The Habs are my favourite team, so I was hoping choosing their name would bring me many championships. Instead, I’m following the modern-day team by never making the playoffs.

When will see your WHL Canadiens in the top 8 playoffs?
    I’m guessing not next year, but possibly the year after. I’m getting to the point where my young guys need to start playing though. I feel like my defense is set with Sergachev, Boqvist, Bouchard and Byram, but three of them still aren’t in the NHL on a full-time basis. I still don’t have an elite forward (hoping Zegras, Meier and Dubois can be those guys) and I still need an everyday goaltender or two. So the rebuild is still going on. But I feel I have enough young guys pieces that I can be a playoff team in a couple of years.

I’ll stick with the sports theme, and say the championship trophy from my co-ed ball hockey league. We were called Schweaty Balls after the SNL skit. We later won a trophy as the Cork Suckers.

Journalist. Originally, I wanted to be a hockey broadcaster. But when I went to school, I found that I much preferred the written word. So I switched to newspaper reporter. Been pretty much been doing it ever since (20 years).

What is your point of view on this worldwide lockdown/pandemic going on?
    Pretty much the same as everyone else. It sucks being stuck in the house most of the time, but it’s for the greater good.

Do you think hockey will return before January 2021?
    Yes, but this season is lost. I think hockey picks up again next October, but it’s the 20-21 season. I do find it a little funny that we lost a whole season due to a lockout in 2004, but when there’s a pandemic, the league is doing everything it can to make sure we have the playoffs and the Stanley Cup.

I like reviewing good and bad trades, but I think it would be better to take one trade and break it down. So, three years later, who won some of the big trades.

You can now ask me one question....
    Before you reveal who you really are, have you considered a contest to see who has figured out your true identity?
    Perhaps that contest may come in the future....maybe a Summer contest....or perhaps I would need to stop altogether if I get into the WHL as a GM....

Dobber Sports Stud

Good interview guys - well worth the wait!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I expected a better Twinkie story....

Dobber Sports Superstar

Good job fellas, i was expecting a better twinkie story too. I like swiss rolls better as well.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Ahhhh...Swiss Rolls... brings me back to my childhood! THanks for the Nostalgia. Fun interview. Thanks Gents!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

May I present to you....the GM of the Royal City Leafs....

Why haven’t I been invited to your Zoom game nights?

I would love to see the WHL Insider join the Zoom Trivia nights. However, the invite is distributed on Facebook and that would likely mean I’d have to bring your Face to the Outside! Are you prepared for that? Let’s take this one off line. Maybe there’s a way ��

I think it was about 20 years ago, friends of now wife, thought they’d get to know me better by dragging me into this “Fantasy Sports” realm. I had no idea what I was doing back then. They signed me up and I kept getting trade requests to a league I never once signed into myself. It drove me nuts and drove them equally as nuts. But eventually, I dipped my toe into the fantasy world. At the time I think it was called Sporting News or something like that and it was fantasy baseball. Essentially a Cap like setting where everyone had a budget and you got to buy players to fill your roster under your cap. However, players values adjusted like the markets based on their performance and ownership. It was weird as any team could own the same players but the key was to invest early. I eventually landed in my first YAHOO league and found Dobber. This lead me to the WHL and I haven’t turned back. Although I have shed my baseball, football and basketball leagues focusing solely on Hockey.

I stumbled on the Dobber site back in Aug 2011 as I was striving to find tools to excel my fantasy game. I quickly became enthralled in articles provided there as well as the Forum. As with any forum, I started to build informal relationships with many of the long time posters/members. Peng being one of a handful. So when I saw this pool being suggested by him, and it being my first attempt at not only a full keeper, but also my first crack at a Cap league with a minors system, along side some of my more (or less �� ) respected forum personalities, that was the motivation I needed to hop on board.

What is Royal City a reference to?

Born in Montreal QC, my family relocated to a modest sized town in southern Ontario for my Dad’s work which is where I grew up between 2 and 18 years of age. I then attended the University of Guelph and while it took me 8 years to graduate (and no…it shouldn’t have taken me that long) I eventually made Guelph Ontario (also coined “the Royal City”) my home along with my wife and 2 kids now. To pay homage to my hometown, our inaugural WHL team took on the OHL’s Guelph Storm name (much like other WHL GM’s did). However, I admit that I am a self loathing Leaf Fan who took a break from that team (along side my son) and their inept ways the year before they landed AM34. So Fickle am I. The same frustration built in me when I watched my Guelph Storm make it to the final of the Mem Cup vs Edmonton and after choking there… failed to manage their assets (Robbie Fabbri among others) adequately only to see them essentially walk for nothing and the team sank back down to inept status. While I initially wanted to shift to the Guelph Gryphons (the University Name who also sponsors all of the city’s minor sports), Grand Rapids already had the name “Griffins” and after being met with some league wide flack (had enough of that flack following “THE TRADE”) I decided to make my WHL team my own and adopt my home town “ROYAL CITY” with my Homer NHL team. Hence forth known as the Royal City Leafs.

Is there any change you would make to improve the WHL?

It’s pretty much a well-oiled machine the way it currently runs and have to tip my cap to Peng and the co-commish’s. I’ve lobbied for more flexibility on number of moves made but understand and appreciate it’s something that is unique to our league. I also am far less stingy on Peng’s compulsion for ONLY 1 POSITION per player but can respect where he’s coming from as well.

While Hockey is by far my favorite sport as a fan, fantasy GM and spectator, baseball is my sport to play and something I’ve played all my life. At this stage of my life, however, I’ve adjusted to old man beer ball and have been helping run our local men’s slo-pitch league for the past 18 years. I ran my own team for 18 of those years, but recently decided I’d leave that admin crap to someone else and just enjoy playing. I desperately miss both Hockey and Ball at the moment. Beyond that, my interests focus squarely on my Son’s hockey (Bantam) and Daughter’s Dance and Guitar (teaching myself Guitar as well).

Family is by far my biggest accomplishment. My wife and I had a challenging start with the birth of our Son who was born with a neural tube defect. Essentially he had a hole in his skull between his eyes and a herniation of brain tissue which resembled a half golf ball protruding out. At 10 weeks old, our little guy had to have extremely invasive surgery to remove that tissue (hoping it was non-functional which it proved to be) and reconstructive surgery to correct the hole. As a new parent, I cannot begin to explain that rollercoaster ride. But now, that little guy has bounced back to be quite the hockey player and charmer. As for the scars… chicks dig those right? And his sister, well, what could go wrong with an 11 year old girl? Walk in the park, right? Somehow even the craziest of situations have a way of working themselves out, even when “Control” seems like something you are incapable of grasping.

While I was maneuvering my way through my 8 year university career, I started working in retail. A shoe store to be exact… and I drove an old Dodge (Insert Al Bundy Joke Here). Anyway, I was pretty good at what I did and had even moved up to assistant manager of the largest grossing store in the country. Then I had an epiphany… what’s next for me. It was getting hard to step away from a salary and benefits and would only get harder. My roommate had started working for an Insurance Company and it sounded like more of a career path than assistant manager of a retail store. So I took a chance, left my salary behind to try out the insurance world. 20 years later I just celebrated my 2 decade anniversary with the same company and have found a career as a Business Analyst within the National Claims Department. Was quite the prosperous move for me.

What is your point of view on this worldwide lockdown/pandemic going on?

This became very REAL and did so quickly. It’s a little scary considering my wife would be considered higher risk due to underlying medical conditions, so I am the only one to leave and do any sort of shopping. But I try to see the silver lining and glass half full. I think this has allowed many businesses to consider a different model of remote working and has sped up the I.T. changes we were inevitably going to see. But I do miss human contact.

When do you predict hockey will return?

I really want to say that we will see the cup awarded this season, but as this continues to go on, there’s almost a cleansing viewpoint to adopt where we concede this year, let THAT be the footnote in the history books rather than a “kinda/sorta” Stanley Cup winner.

Not much to offer here. I’ve enjoyed the Insider experience so far. The trade polls are always interesting. Be sure to keep that up! I guess something really cool would be to find a way to have the insider active on our league chats within Fantrax.

A question from your fellow GM....
    What is the best trade you ever made?
    Back when I was desperately trying to find a way to land AM34, my best/most valuable commodity to offer was Erik Karlsson. However, I just couldn’t get his owner to bite at that move even after what seemed like weeks of discussions. Then I figured maybe there were more ways to skin a cat. I hit the market and was able to flip EK for Jack Eichel and literally within minutes, AM34’s owner came asking about Jack Eichel. Long Story Short, I got my coveted crown jewel.
    This was my favorite trade. Although many may have wanted me to talk more about the Debrincat/Kapanen/Pick(s) for Weber and Malkin I’m sure. Controversial at the time, but the detractors certainly didn’t see Debrincat becoming the factor he is quickly becoming now. And Kapenen in a top 6 role? Just wish the OGM didn’t bail tarnishing the perspective of that deal for me.

What is the worst trade you ever made?

This is an easy one. Hands down, the trade that haunts me to this day was sending Pasta to everyone’s favorite Bruins fan (Bobby) before his break out, for Andres Lee straight up banking on Lee’s Multi-Cat abilities. Still stings!
    Another hindsight 2nd guesser was trying so hard to rid myself of the playoff risk, Gino Malkin that I sent He and Marner to Praba for package showcasing Tavares. Really love J.T. but I think I’d pull the reigns on that one if I had a do-over.

You can now ask me one question....
    What motivates you to stay active as the Insider for the WHL?
    Interesting question....I suppose it would be the connection it allows me to have with GMs and the enjoyment GMs get from the Insider....also the challenge of keeping it fun, new and engaging....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

And here are the 2 late entries from other GM questions....

1) Glorybe23 ... nope... no plans on changing our name. So maybe he can spend a couple minutes and come up with a unique Royal City Leafs logo in the same way he did Havana Blast!

2) Magicstew ... I was already a good cook. So just carrying on... but yes, my daughter HAS forced me on to TikTok cause she wanted it and as a responsible parent, I joined. There's currently 1 TikTok featuring me and her. I'll leave it to the insider or others to find it if they feel so inclined.

Dobber Sports Stud

Another great interview in the books guys! Can't wait for future ones.