Page 7 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: WHL (World Hockey League) - League Settings *Discussion* Thread

Yeah I do prefer looking at a week as a one v one matchup and making strategic decisions based on that opponent. Much more player movement that way IMO.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    but then how do you determine what the best lineup to set for your team is? instead of trying to beat your opponent you are now trying to get the best possible score combined from your opponents. for example starting your goalie would give you a guarenteed win for the save category vs Opponent 1, but you can't do that now because you are worried you will risk losing GAA and GA vs Opponent 2.
    Good post Praba,
    Sure it might be a difficult decision to help one matchup at the risk of losing others, but isnt that just adding in another strategic element to the league?
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    Yeah I do prefer looking at a week as a one v one matchup and making strategic decisions based on that opponent. Much more player movement that way IMO.
    I doubt there will be much movement going on with 24 teams with a roster of 25-35 NHL players.

I expect the waiver wire is gonna be bare bones .
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Some updates:

1. Hits/Blocks
    I think we'll keep these at 0.05 each. FOW at 0.01.
    I don't think it's too dramatic of a point hike.

2. Draft Window / Schedule.
    So far - I think I've only seen 1 or 2 people say they are "after work" drafters. This ain't too bad. And most are flexible "all day".
    Based on this... I'm going to scrap the "draft window" idea and we'll just do it the traditional way - send PMs/emails when it's somebody's turn.
    We'll give everybody a 6hr window to draft when it's their turn. (midnight-8am EST not part of time limit)
    The "after work" crew will have to submit a proxy (player list) to somebody if they are due to draft in the morning/day. (Sorry)
    Once we know our draft order, we'll have everybody commit to sending both a PM/email to the next person after them.

3. Goalies / Drafting / Keepers
    I'm not going to set any limitations on goalie drafting or rostering limits.
    Hoarding is a possibility... but last year's back-ups typically scored about 10-30 fantasy points. If any GMs want to draft & sit on these guys when 40-60pt skaters are on the table... that'll be their strategy.
    It will be a requirement that teams have an active 12F/6D at all times on their roster - no injured guys, no AHL/junior guys. This is simply to avoid tanking strategies.

4. Keepers
    There WILL be a limit on the number of PRO goalies you can keep every year. And that will be TWO.
    Teams will be permitted to keep up to 25 players, due July 15 each year. We'll call it the 20-5 rule.
    MAX 20 PRO (of 25) may be kept.
    MIN 5 JR (of 10) must be kept.
    And your PRO team keepers may only keep two (2) goalies.
    This way, there will be a maximum of 48 NHL goalies "kept"... which allows enough back-ups in the replacement draft each year.
    It may also promote some trading of goalies to teams without them.

**Some teams may elect to roll 3-4 goalies through their 1 starter spot, but note that you can only keep 2G on your PRO team.**

Discussion Item:
    PRO-MINORS "Flexing"
    JR Skaters are minors eligible for gp < 100.
    JR Goalies are minors eligible for gp < 40.

When you guys have done this, can you:

i) shift a JR player up & down (at will) to your PRO team? Or is it
    ii) "once he's up to PRO - he must stay there"?

What do you guys prefer?
    I think the JR skaters at <100 seems a little high , but <40 is fine for goalies.

just an idea for thought , Im in a keeper/w farm where we have 1 designated rookie with unlimited movement from JR to Pros that we choose before the season starts. In addition we also had what we called "Jokers" which is what a GM used to send a promoted Junior player back to the farm. But that Junior player still had to be eligible under the games played limit to be sent back. Each GM got 3 Jokers at the start of each season and Jokers were also able to be traded.

If we are going with one of the above options I choose "once he's up to PRO - he must stay there" definitely makes for a harder decision but I like it that way , unlimited movement for all JR is too flexible!
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Can you put me on the waiting list!?!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i) shift a JR player up & down (at will) to your PRO team? Or is it
    ii) "once he's up to PRO - he must stay there"?
    i think it's better to allow JR players to be called up/down, however put a limit of max moves per week to prevent streaming.

the problem with the second option, is that it will open a loophole for teams to keep their good productive players buried in their minors while they play scrubs and get a better pick (ive been in a league with this rule, and it SUCKS). for example, they could have mcdavid in the minors all year while scott gomez is barely getting them points. you can't force a team to call up their guys when it's a risk as they can't send them back down should they stop producing. and what happens if a JR guy we call up gets benched for most of the games, it's suddenly a dead roster spot. or if he gets sent back down to the AHL or whatever, are we then allowed to demote him?

imo it's better to just allow them to be called up/down, that way there is accountability on all teams to play their best players at all times. but definitely need to have a cap at the amount of call ups per week so you dont have guys streaming and getting extra games because they have a bunch of active JR players.

Dobber Sports Initiate

i think it's better to allow JR players to be called up/down, however put a limit of max moves per week to prevent streaming.

the problem with the second option, is that it will open a loophole for teams to keep their good productive players buried in their minors while they play scrubs and get a better pick (ive been in a league with this rule, and it SUCKS). for example, they could have mcdavid in the minors all year while scott gomez is barely getting them points. you can't force a team to call up their guys when it's a risk as they can't send them back down should they stop producing. and what happens if a JR guy we call up gets benched for most of the games, it's suddenly a dead roster spot. or if he gets sent back down to the AHL or whatever, are we then allowed to demote him?

imo it's better to just allow them to be called up/down, that way there is accountability on all teams to play their best players at all times. but definitely need to have a cap at the amount of call ups per week so you dont have guys streaming and getting extra games because they have a bunch of active JR players.
    Managers have Scott Gomez on their rosters!!??

G & A = 1PT.

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby4Ever View Post
    Managers have Scott Gomez on their rosters!!??
    the ones that want Matthews next year will

Dobber Sports Initiate

getting back to the loophole you described for option 2 , that loophole exists for option 1 also. Just because a GM is allowed to move a JR player at will doesn't mean he has to just because that player is lighting it up in the NHL. As long as that player is under the games played limit he has the right to keep him in JR. True?

G & A = 1PT.

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great comments thus far.

re: JR Players
    With the up/down thing... I just don't want somebody drafting McDavid & Eichel or Max Domi and then using their JR roster as a way of essentially rostering 26 or 27 players that they will stream into their 25 PRO slots.

I do agree with what praba has said - set transactions at 2 weekly.
    I already have that set... but if we can build in JR movement as a "transaction", then I think we'll have solved this one.
    I'll look into it.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby4Ever View Post
    getting back to the loophole you described for option 2 , that loophole exists for option 1 also. Just because a GM is allowed to move a JR player at will doesn't mean he has to just because that player is lighting it up in the NHL. As long as that player is under the games played limit he has the right to keep him in JR. True?
    all teams should be playing their best active roster possible at all times. doesn't matter if you are contending or rebuilding.

if you have a guy like mcdavid in your minors it's the same thing as just having him benched. would a team be allowed to bench crosby while playing scrubs instead?

with option 2 you can atleast justify why you don't want to call up a JR player. a contending team in most cases won't, because their roster will usually have adequate replacements, and if that JR player ends up cooling down they now have a wasted roster spot that can cost them matchups. so rebuilding teams will be able to use that same reasoning even if it doesnt really apply to them. they would just trade their productive roster players for JR players, stash them in their minors and then just sign scrubs that will likely lose them each matchup. or, the non-tanking method - they would keep the JR players stashed in the minors, and then sign lesser players with upside that they could potentially move later on to contenders to try and gain an extra asset. they still won't be playing their best roster, but they have no incentive bringing up their better JR players since it would cost them a roster spot that they could have used to try and acquire an additional asset.

bottom line is, option 1 we can force teams to play their best players. option 2 there will be tanking, guarenteed. and having been part of a league that used option 2, i am telling you it is an awful idea unless someone has a way to make it work.

Dobber Sports Initiate

[QUOTE=praba;1491435]

they would just trade their productive roster players for JR players, stash them in their minors and then just sign scrubs that will likely lose them each matchup.

don't we have a cap on JR players that would prevent this?

G & A = 1PT.

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Guys I wouldn't worry so much about tanking. 1st, it's a money league. 2nd, look at the way Pengwin proposes to set up the draft lottery -- it highly discourages tanking. I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Personally, I don't mind tanking because I think it's a terrible strategy in almost every case. In fantasy, I don't think tanking your team to get a good draft pick is a good strategy. Because in most leagues it would take 5 or so years for so many high draft picks to actually add-up again. That's also assuming that whatever GM got himself into the tanking situation in the first place actually hangs onto his decent players for the long haul to make it back to contention.

So for me, I don't care if teams tank. But I also don't see with the way the lottery is proposed why anyone would tank at all, so I think we'll be okay.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Fall River's Finest
    C(3): Malkin, Kesler, Hanzal
    LW(3): Lucic, Perron, Chimera
    RW(3): Eberle, R. Smith, Doan
    F(3): Stafford (RW), Parenteau (RW), Eakin (C)
    D(6): S. Weber, Suter, Giordano, Yandle, Chara, Polak
    G(1): Miller [+ Niemi, Zatkoff]
    Bench: Filppula (C), Ferland (LW), Stalberg (LW), Weise (RW)

Prospects(10): Roy (C), Tambellini (C), Andreoff (LW), Jensen (LW), Sorensen (RW), Morin (RW), DeMelo (D), Berube (G), Campbell (G)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by glorybe23 View Post
    My final suggestion:

The Schedule

With Fantrax we can actually play more than one team per week, so we can actually try and mimic an 82 game schedule.

What are your guys thoughts on playing 3 opponents per week? So instead of a 1-0 = 2pts per week, you could go 3-0 = 6 pts or 2-1 = 4 pts etc etc??

The good in this format:

1. Mimic an NHL schedule and an NHL type final Win/Loss total. Not that lousy 12 win NFL look.
    2. You run into a hot team in the week, you still have a chance at beating 2 other teams if you are actually having a great week too.
    3. Really tames down the luck factor, the best team at the end of the season really was the best team, cannot blame a bad matchup per week.

Thoughts?

For this first season, I think we'll avoid doing this.
    It's best for an inaugural league to keep things simple. We can adjust from there.

That said - I do think it's something we can consider for upcoming seasons.
    Why:
    1. Well, firstly... we are going with WEIGHTED POINTS. Like fantasy football, the nice thing about this is that a GM should be always trying to set his highest scoring roster. There's no reason not to. We aren't chasing a singular category, so there actually is NOT any difference in strategy against going up vs. 4 opponents at same time.

2. It actually would remove some of the "tough week" luck/unluck. For this year, there is a prize for "best regular season record" and for "most full season points"... this could go to the same team - but if somebody gets unlucky and still has most points, they'll at least get something.

Weighted Points is the only format I would consider it.
    But let's talk about this idea some more next summer after everybody gets a "feel" for the league.
    We could set a 21-week schedule with 4 opponents per week for an 84-match season.
    That would be kind of cool.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

a BUMP on the thread to update a couple key things.
    [All 24 invites are out. Waiting on one GM.]

1) Most importantly, get your $50 into the Fantrax Treasurer ASAP. 12 of 24 are paid thus far. Due by end of July 28 midnight (EST). On July 29th, I'll start replacing anybody not paid.
    2) The draft order will be randomized (hopefully) July 30th, 2015 at 11am (Eastern). This assuming we have 24 people paid. [I hope everybody pays, but I may need the July 29th day to replace any delinquents!]
    3) Assuming payments & lottery are done on time, then draft will start August 1st, 2015 at 11am (Eastern). The slow-draft picks will be done in a new WHL thread here on DobberHockey. Each team will have 6hrs (hopefully faster, please) to make their pick. [Midnight-8am Eastern is not part of the "clock".] I'll also input them in a shared googledoc... and hopefully update the Fantrax site for everybody often so you can slowly see your players on your team roster page.

Rosters & scoring can be found on the Fantrax site.
    Any other questions needed before you draft - ask them in THIS thread.
    Thanks, P7