Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: WHL (World Hockey League) - League Settings *Discussion* Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gopack26 View Post
    I should be available all day for drafting. How much would it throw off the draft if it was 30-minute windows rather than 15-minute windows? I feel like someone could have a work phone call or get stuck in traffic during their time slot for 15-minutes, where that is less likely in 30-minute windows. Would there be a default list to go off of where missed picks would be given an automatic player selection? Or would GM's be able to go back and draft missed picks if their window passes without a pick?

Also, with the Minors or Farm team... have we thought about how those will progress in later years? Will there be a separate "Prospect Draft or Entry Draft" each year? Or will they be included as available players in each years non-keeper redraft? One problem we have run into in a league I am in is that obviously it can take a couple years for those farm players to reach the played games limit making them "non-prospect eligible" and it has really de-valued the "Entry Draft" we have each year because everyone is hoarding guys they took in previous drafts.

Maybe that second bullet has been addressed. Sorry if I missed it.

Two great notes.
    1. So far (and obviously... it's daytime right now), we have 9 people available "all day" (with Pit Bulls being "after work" on Aug 27, 28, 29). The more people that are available "all day", the better chance we have of going to a "30 min window".
    Essentially, it's the "after work" only crowd that slows down any draft. "Night only" drafters will be the league's weakest link of the draft schedule because the draft won't move during daytime hours if they are up.

Fortunately, 24 is a good scheduling number... meaning we can make 8 groups of 3... or 6 groups of 4... depending on whether we have <6 or <8 "night drafters". There will be a series of lotteries... we'll draw a lottery just to get into groups of 3 or 4... then the groups will draw into slots of 1-4 (say), 5-8 (say), etc to 21-24th pick range... and then each group will draw an order and get to select their spot within their pick range. It will all be very fair, trust me, but it is critical that the "night only" drafters stay in either one or two groups - so that they can knock out picks quickly. The preliminary schedule above shows 15min windows... but that does get us through 2 rounds in a day. Ideally, we'll have 30min windows and one-round per day - as long as the grouping/lottery thing can be made to work out so the draft schedule doesn't get hung up.

2. Agree. Minor/juniors is tough issue. Good to get some experiences with that from others - as it can be frustrating when juniors players are hoarded. Personally, I like giving people the option on whether they want to protect their PRO guys or their JR guys. I never like punishing somebody if they want to undertake a rebuild or go for it with a more veteran squad.

Dobber Sports Ace

Trying to wrap my head around this drafting set up…

I'm an "all day" because I'm not working, but that doesn't mean I have nothing going on at all. I'm also on the west coast, so different time zone.

In my experience these inaugural drafts go very quickly at the beginning in anyway, I don't really see the need to restrict to 30 minute (or even 15 minute) windows, and overall I see this as being potentially problematic.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    Trying to wrap my head around this drafting set up…

I'm an "all day" because I'm not working, but that doesn't mean I have nothing going on at all. I'm also on the west coast, so different time zone.

In my experience these inaugural drafts go very quickly at the beginning in anyway, I don't really see the need to restrict to 30 minute (or even 15 minute) windows, and overall I see this as being potentially problematic.

OK - it's obviously not clear yet.
    I apologize, I don't think I explained it well first time around.

It's exactly the same thing they have at Disney (for anybody who has been there for rides).

In the old days, people would just wait in long-ass lines for their turn to go on a ride.
    This is simple concept, but devoid of thought towards efficiency.
    There wasn't technology back in the day to coordinate a smarter concept for a massive number of people.
    Then, somebody got smart and said "Gosh, this waiting thing is ridiculous. Wouldn't it be smarter if we could all just know a guaranteed time when it would be MY TURN!?!"
    So Disney (& other amusement parks) came up with a system where you can get in a virtual line and get a wait-spot (or printed time card) to let you know when you can return and jump straight on the ride.

That's what this is. (Just... it's new to people and they aren't used to seeing it... and people always fear the unknown... until somebody explains it well... which I apparently haven't yet... sorry)
    You've just arrived at Pengwin's Smarter Draft World.

The "window" is a guaranteed time where you can show up and make your pick.
    If your "window" is 3:00pm-3:30pm... it means that you can pick at 3:00pm... NO WAITING! And you have until at least 3:30pm to pick.
    And the guy after you, will know (even when he wakes up in the morning), that at 3:30pm, he can make his pick... NO WAITING!

Boo-yah, I know, this is awesome.

This means you don't have to refresh a thread all damn day long to find out if the 2-3 guys ahead of you had picked or not.
    [Which I've been through many a time... the waiting "Does anybody know where this guy is?"... with responses "I think he works until 6pm" or "I've PM'ed him, no response yet."... yada, yada... I'd guarantee that just about every seasoned fantasy hockey GM has gone through these lines a couple times...]

If there are 7-8 people in a row all ready to pick... the "window" doesn't hold them up, the next-in-line person can draft whenever it's their turn... this may be hours before their "window".
    I think that's the part where I lost you (/some people)... I probably shouldn't call it a "window".
    For other people, busy people, who may NOT be online all day... this method allows them to know when they MUST make their pick by.

By all means though, we'll have a PM system/email system and we can bump each other when it's their pick.
    It will go fast in some parts, slow in other parts (if somebody is away from a computer).

The one consistency is that there will be a set-time (/window) when somebody MUST make their pick by.

Clear as mud?

Dobber Sports Ace

That makes sense. Thanks for your patience Pengwin7.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Two great notes.
    1. So far (and obviously... it's daytime right now), we have 9 people available "all day" (with Pit Bulls being "after work" on Aug 27, 28, 29). The more people that are available "all day", the better chance we have of going to a "30 min window".
    Essentially, it's the "after work" only crowd that slows down any draft. "Night only" drafters will be the league's weakest link of the draft schedule because the draft won't move during daytime hours if they are up.

Fortunately, 24 is a good scheduling number... meaning we can make 8 groups of 3... or 6 groups of 4... depending on whether we have <6 or <8 "night drafters". There will be a series of lotteries... we'll draw a lottery just to get into groups of 3 or 4... then the groups will draw into slots of 1-4 (say), 5-8 (say), etc to 21-24th pick range... and then each group will draw an order and get to select their spot within their pick range. It will all be very fair, trust me, but it is critical that the "night only" drafters stay in either one or two groups - so that they can knock out picks quickly. The preliminary schedule above shows 15min windows... but that does get us through 2 rounds in a day. Ideally, we'll have 30min windows and one-round per day - as long as the grouping/lottery thing can be made to work out so the draft schedule doesn't get hung up.

2. Agree. Minor/juniors is tough issue. Good to get some experiences with that from others - as it can be frustrating when juniors players are hoarded. Personally, I like giving people the option on whether they want to protect their PRO guys or their JR guys. I never like punishing somebody if they want to undertake a rebuild or go for it with a more veteran squad.

I don't want to over-complicate the league, but one way of preventing people from "hoarding" young players over veterans would be to have a Cap Floor.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    I don't want to over-complicate the league, but one way of preventing people from "hoarding" young players over veterans would be to have a Cap Floor.
    Great idea.
    This would help avoid tanking as well. (i.e. A "rebuild" so massive that somebody is essentially just rostering prospects on their PRO team in an effort to bottom out their stats).

Dobber Sports Stud

The only part I was unclear on was whether we had to wait for our "window" or if we could pick when it is our turn, even if it is well in advance of our timeframe. I'm sure once the draft begins folks will embrace it and wonder why they spent all those wasted hours waiting for somebody to make their pick in their other pools. Thanks for the clarification Pengwin.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Initiate

All Day for me Pen , some good ideas comin in , lookin forward to this draft , but strategy will be tough here!
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Initiate

After work and weekends for me.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Edmonton Roadrunners

C(3): Tavares, Couture, Girgensons
    LW(3): Helm, Ott, Soderberg
    RW(3): Ryan, Gallagher, Simmonds
    F(3): Hemsky, Paquette, Markus Granlund
    D(6): OEL, Gudas, Johnson, Savard, Quincey, Wideman
    G(1): Halak, Smith, Lindback
    Bench: Stoll, Stajan, Mckenzie, Pulkkinen

Prospects(10): Straka, Chartier, Crouse, EK Eriksson, Tuch, Koekkoek, Max Reinhart, Zboril, Bibeau, Jarry

RIP- Phil Philthy Animal Taylor- September 21, 1954-November 11, 2015.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Looking good fellas. I take back my thought earlier about having goalie scoring cats. I'm good with what Pengwin has proposed (2pts/Win & 3pts/SO) because I too think it would be silly to have the top 15 or so players to all be goaltenders.

But I would like to see hits and blocks be worth 0.02. Anyone else have thoughts? 3 points only for the entire season for Matt Martin (prolific hitter) just seems way too little. For the most part that stat at 0.01 could be totally ignored. I think 0.02 makes things a little more interesting -- heck I think even 0.03 would be fine.

As for my draft schedule -- put me down as an evening guy (6PM EST onwards). Although I'll likely be able to make my pick early if I'm up.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Fall River's Finest
    C(3): Malkin, Kesler, Hanzal
    LW(3): Lucic, Perron, Chimera
    RW(3): Eberle, R. Smith, Doan
    F(3): Stafford (RW), Parenteau (RW), Eakin (C)
    D(6): S. Weber, Suter, Giordano, Yandle, Chara, Polak
    G(1): Miller [+ Niemi, Zatkoff]
    Bench: Filppula (C), Ferland (LW), Stalberg (LW), Weise (RW)

Prospects(10): Roy (C), Tambellini (C), Andreoff (LW), Jensen (LW), Sorensen (RW), Morin (RW), DeMelo (D), Berube (G), Campbell (G)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MCMackerel View Post
    Looking good fellas. I take back my thought earlier about having goalie scoring cats. I'm good with what Pengwin has proposed (2pts/Win & 3pts/SO) because I too think it would be silly to have the top 15 or so players to all be goaltenders.

But I would like to see hits and blocks be worth 0.02. Anyone else have thoughts? 3 points only for the entire season for Matt Martin (prolific hitter) just seems way too little. For the most part that stat at 0.01 could be totally ignored. I think 0.02 makes things a little more interesting -- heck I think even 0.03 would be fine.

As for my draft schedule -- put me down as an evening guy (6PM EST onwards). Although I'll likely be able to make my pick early if I'm up.
    Big Agreement from me.

Hits/Blocks need to come up in value - something in the range of 0.05 - 0.1 feels appropriate.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    Big Agreement from me.

Hits/Blocks need to come up in value - something in the range of 0.05 - 0.1 feels appropriate.
    I agree with this as well - if we're going to include these cats, let's make them worthwhile. I would say a minimum of 0.03 is good. Other than that, I'm on board with all other settings now that PPP and +/- have been bumped down (although I wouldn't mind getting rid of +/- altogether - I like more predictable stat counting). Good with min. of 20 players kept per year and min. 5 farm players per year, no problem if those numbers go up slightly.

I'm an all-day drafter with the caveat that I'll be on the road on Aug. 3-4 with some spotty internet access. However, if I have a specific draft window it shouldn't be a problem. I should also note that the Cup is coming to my old hometown with Duncan Keith on Aug. 1st so I may need some leeway if my draft window comes up while I'm knocking elbows with Duncy (which is what we called him when we were growing up).

Overall really excited to be part of this league. Definitely the most complex one I've been involved in but it's exactly what I've been looking for. Here's to a great season!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think we should up all the peripheral stats to 0.05 as well

Dobber Sports Master

Man you guys are good

I want to put myself in the 'all day slot'... I work but I can't find/make the time or deputize someone to do it. The window idea makes this easier.

I'll agree with notion of buffing the peripherals a bit, no more than .5 though (which seems consensus-y).

For protection, you could go 'at least 18 pro and at least 3 minors'... gives a bit more flexibility, from 22/3 to 18/7, which may appeal to some.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great stuff here guys.
    I'm going to do another two step eval on the skaters.

I'll track where Matt Martin (the HIT man) and Kris Russel (the BLOCK man) are right now with the HIT/BLK at 0.01... and I'll post those.
    I'll track where Matt Martin (the HIT man) and Kris Russel (the BLOCK man) ...would be... with the HIT/BLK at 0.05... and I'll post those.
    We can evaluate and see if everybody likes it.

FOW... I don't think we can bump that to 0.05... unlike HITS (where Martin gets about 300+) and BLOCKS (where Russel gets about 200+)... putting 0.05 on the 1000+ FOW guys is about 50pts... that's way too much when G=1, A=1.

Also, FWIW - I am adamant about keeping G=1, A=1.
    This way we always know how our weighting discussion adds up.

At 0.01, a 300 hit guy like Matt Martin gets 3pts for his hits.
    At 0.05, a 300 hit guy like Matt Martin gets 15pts for his hits.
    [i.e. We'd know that a 15pt Matt Martin with an extra +15pts for Hits and maybe +10pts for PIMs = 40pts. But this will push M.Martin's value up near non-gritty passers like Mikael Granlund are. M.Martin ~ M.Granlund, IDK.]

At 0.01, a 200 block guy like Kris Russell gets 2pts for his blocks.
    At 0.05, a 200 block guy like Kris Russell gets 10pts for his blocks.

I think I'm OK with the 0.05, we'll cross-check it.
    Maybe I'll push FOW up to 0.02... so that a 1000 FOW Giroux/Bergeron gets an addition 20pts for his FOW.
    [NOTE, this will push a bunch of centers higher than Ovechkin... though with only centers eligibile for FOW points... it doesn't really diminish OV because he's still elite among wingers... and not passed by a FOW-Pavelski slotted in the RW.]