Page 67 of 94 FirstFirst ... 17 57 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 77 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1398

Thread: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Another great WHL regular season into the books!

Congrats to Braham Pietasters for best H2H regular season record (20-3)... for the second consecutive year, he takes the Nicklas Lidstrom Excellence Trophy!
    Congrats to Vancouver Voodoo for most regular season points - he's awarded this year's Wayne Gretzky Points Trophy!

1 Braham Pietasters (glorybe23) 20 3 1478.55
    2 Vancouver Voodoo (GoNucks) 19 4 1490.97
    3 North London Nationals (VintageVibe) 18 5 1426.99
    4 Victoria Dead Hookers (Loch) 16 7 1208.95
    5 Toronto Fighting Turtles (Kofax) 16 7 1222.37
    6 Saanichton Cougars (InForAPenny) 15 8 1220.31
    7 Edmonton Road Runners (Lemmy) 15 8 1211.12
    8 Manitoba Moose (GinFizz) 15 8 1273.82

9 Grand Rapids Griffins (brakli) 15 8 1177.38
    10 Windsor Spitfires (Pengwin7) 14 9 1236.71
    11 Lake Eerie Monsters (Sulla) 14 9 1207.16
    12 Amsterdam Red Lights (rataylor22) 13 10 1112.22
    13 Lake Valley Thunder (First Round Pick) 12 11 1105.41
    14 Tampere Polar Bears (Jouko-Pouko) 11 12 1033.42
    15 Royal-City-Leafs (Havanablast21) 10 13 1228.22
    16 Oshawa Generals (Bobby4Ever) 10 13 1186.73

17 District-5 Ducks (evans334) 10 13 1042.44
    18 Wheeling Nailers (Brosive) 9 14 964.04
    19 Fresno Firebirds (Pit Bulls) 8 15 1013.38
    20 Fort Frances Muskies (Burgundy) 5 18 753.71
    21 Dryden Eagles (metaldude26) 4 19 866.93
    22 Glasgow Kiss (Magicstew) 4 19 868.13
    23 Markham Waxers (praba) 2 21 737.35
    24 Montreal Canadiens (newfcollins) 1 22 744.74

Teams have now split into the championship, middle, and lower playoff tiers!
    H2H Playoff Champ wins the BIG PRIZE... with winners & runners-up of middle and lower tiers being award first round (/lottery) positional jumps!

Good luck to all!

Administrator

Watch out for the Eagles in the C-side playoffs!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Cougars GM interviewed this week....

What made you select your team name? A personal preference?
    I was originally the Victoria Cougars as a nod to the last west coast team to win the Stanley Cup. Well before my time, but I like the history of it. I also like cougars (interpret as you wish). Switched to Saanichton (San Itch Ton) to separate the two Victoria teams.

What do you attribute your jump from rebuilder to top 8 contender this season?
    To be honest I didn't expect to be here for another year or so. My young guys have improved a little sooner, and some of the other teams around me in the standing were unfortunate to have losing records.

Is it true your organization only hires 35+ year old women?
    We do have an image to maintain... We also have a live mountain lion as a mascot.

Favourite current/former NHL player & why?
    Teemu Selanne. As a transplant from England, I didn't really get into hockey until high school, particularly the 1993 season. He was also just a classy guy and that made me appreciate his play more.

Best trade you’ve made?
    My best/favourite trade was a draft pick deal that sent Vesey and a 7th used on Keller for a 4th I used on Matthew Tkachuk.

Worst trade you’ve made?
    Ugh. Traded Charlie Coyle for Calvin De Haan and a mid round pick

What was your original plan going into the inaugural draft?
    Wait, I was supposed to have a plan? I hadn't done a pool this complex before so I was trying to go well rounded and a bit younger. I probably left a lot of talent on the table as it was a steep learning curve.

Have you changed strategy from your original draft plan?
    Yes, but then with the GMs we have you kind of have to be flexible. I didn't really have a good core to build around really, and I like to think with a couple of good draft picks (Tkachuk and Dahlin) and trades (Reilly, O'Reilly and Pulock), I have the start of that now.

Biggest offseason need?
    Depth and more depth. With injuries being what they are and the competitive level of the league overall, you need to have a strong bottom half of a team. I should probably have said goaltending...

You can now ask me one question

What prompted you to start up as an Insider for a fantasy league? (Can't say as I've seen it happen before)

Came across the idea just reading about fantasy sports one day, thought it was a unique & funny idea to add another dimension to an already amazing league. I had never heard of it before either, and being in a league with so many highly engaged GMs, thought would be fun to experiment with it.

Follow me @WHLrumourmill for rumblings from around the World Hockey League

Dobber Sports Stud

good interview guys....looking forward to the next one!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Awesome! I love these!!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Another great Insider interview.

Love reading these.

Dobber Sports Stud

Well done guys.. now i know how to pronounce your teams name.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Great read. Love this stuff!!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Watch out for the Eagles in the C-side playoffs!
    First ever franchise playoff win for the Eagles, albeit in the C-side bracket. Progress!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It's time for the 4th WHL Finals!!!
    Some great battles:

For all the marbles... the CHAMPIONSHIP:
    #1 Braham Pietasters (glorybe23) 20-3
    vs. #2 Vancouver Voodoo (GoNucks) 19-4

In the Middle-Tier... looking for a 2-position lottery-match/1st round jump:
    #14 Tampere Polar Bears (Jouko-Pouko) 11-12
    vs. #16 Oshawa Generals (Bobby4Ever) 10-13

And in the toilet... er... bottom tier... also looking for a 2-position lottery-match/1st round jump:
    #17 District-5 Ducks (evans334) 10-13
    vs. #18 Wheeling Nailers (Brosive) 9-14

The rest of the WHL is out on the golf course... (Code Phrase for: Scraping the waiver wire clean of prospects for June trade talks.]

Good luck all ye finalists!!!
    You have survived a long time...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

When does trading open up....? #norumours

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by WHLinsider View Post
    When does trading open up....? #norumours
    Le premier de juin.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

CONGRATULATIONS to the WHL Season #4 CHAMPION:

The Braham Pietasters
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Interview with the Champ....

First off, thank you Insider for taking the time to travel to our playoff parade in the greater downtown block of Braham! May I offer you a slice of pie?

That’s quick to use up your lone question for me right away...well it’s tough to choose just one slice...I prefer to make sure the Pie is entirely finished before I stop eating....now onto the interview....

How does it feel to win the double? Congratulations are in order for your victories with winning the league & playoff championship.
    Obviously feels pretty good. Big Pie, sorry you know him as Bruce Boudreau, has led our team to the top of the league the last 3 seasons, but never quite able to bring it all together till this season. So it is nice to see the team finally click at the right time, especially after the disappointing loss to Tampere in the first round last year, and running out of gas against Markham in the finals the year prior.

People expect big things when you are at the top, we finally did it.

What’s the secret ingredient to your pie?
    Salt and shade. You mix those into your pie, you can kiss your losing streak goodbye.

What was your plan heading into the inaugural draft?
    Going in I was all about cap management and picking guys around 23-25 yrs of age to compete immediately and to remain competitive (Seguin, Krug, Kreider, Barkov) for 4-5 seasons to follow. Half way through the draft I noticed nobody was taking top end prospect defenseman, so I loaded up on them (Theodore, Morrissey, Pulock) and eventually flipped them for productive mid/late-twenty yr old players with great contracts. (Ellis,Pacioretty/Dadonov,Josi).

Very smart planning and strategy implementation....speaking of strategy, should more teams follow suit and not participate in JR drafts? Seems like quite the successful strategy for you....
    haha, I don’t recommend it now after our keeper number was raised by 5 players. Three things came into play as to why I trade all my picks away in the JR and Pro draft (Havanablast traded me a 10th back at zero hour, so technically one late pick in the last round)

1. I was going hard for the title, had the best record and best fantasy points in the league. Lots of injuries hit (Bishop, Patches, Thornton, Kreider etc) but I pushed hard to try and win it all…. Then laid an egg in the first round.
    2. I wanted the summer off, I wasn’t going to be around for most of the draft and never had time to really research the newbies, so might as well get rid of the picks
    3. With our current keeper settings, I wasn’t too worried, knowing I would be able to grab talented prospects off the wire after teams would be forced to drop someone if they never made the big club. This is out of the question now with our new 5 keeper spots, there won’t be shit on the wire this season!

There are kids at this parade...watch the profanity....so what made you decide on your team name?

Over the years I started making up my own team names and cities they were from and used them in a couple other leagues I was a part of. Each name was always a double entendre, to me those are the best fantasy hockey names. Dandy Lions, Tea Baggers, Sofa Kings, Clown Punchers, were a few names I had.

Around the summer I joined the inaugural season of the WHL (thanks Peng) – I entered into a pie eating contest in my city. And won! So the pietasters branding and colours were based around the blueberry pies I ate to win the contest. As for picking a place the pietasters should play in, I went to the internet and found out the pie capital of Minnesota (only pie capital I could find in North America frankly) was in a small 1,500 pop town of Braham. Perfect!

So I wrote a backstory of how the Pietasters came to be, hired the best pie-eating coach in the league, ol’Bruce Boudreau, drafted the hungriest lady pie-eating man in the league with my first pick, Tyler Seguin, and the rest was history.

You seem to win at everything also being a Pie Champ, didn’t realize you had such a skill of eating Pie so fast.....and how about the best & worst trade you’ve made in WHL?
    I’ve been pretty fortunate with a few high profile trades that have worked out well for me, my favourite trade would be in Season 1 – I traded Matt Zuccarello to the Waxers for Seth Jones and a 1st Rd pick, then I flipped that pick + Debrusk + my 1st rd pick to the Thunder for the first Pro pick for next season, with the intent on drafting Radulov. Took some decent heat for that trade (some GM’s thought he wasn’t coming over and let me know about it, loved that btw) but I trusted my sources and Radulov has been a huge part of my success.

Worst trade I have done, by far trading a 2nd,3rd, 4th to the Waxers for Jiri Hudler. Hudler just left Calgary(Florida actually) and I thought he’d have one more season in him with decent production – went to Dallas and faded away. I don’t know who was drafted with my picks – hoping nobody special.

I’m not spending the time now digging into who was selected...too much Pie around to distract right now....have you ever eaten a pie you didn’t like? Humble pie is pretty tough to choke down.

What got you into hockey when you initially started to watch it? Ray Bourque was my favourite player of all time, and made me a bruins fan around the age of 7-8. I still am a diehard bruins fan, but have calmed down since the 2011 win. Dominik Hasek was my fav goalie of all time and his style influenced me to become a goaltender for my hockey career with the most unorthodox way of stopping a puck, I loved it. I was raised in Saskatchewan, so we had no restrictions on who to cheer for.

Best (non-fantasy) hockey memory?
    Well Boston’s crazy 2011 Cup run was quite the memory that I will never forget.

As for a child memory the first round of the playoffs was always a special time of year, one weird aspect of it was I always bet my school bus driver one Coca-Cola every school day on a playoff game that night. It was my first taste of gambling, and I really started to dive into the importance of home ice advantage, injuries, and momentum to get the upperhand. I drank a lot of pop for a few years in April.

Quite the stories there...yes that Cup run was crazy and that’s an interesting gambling story to get you hooked...I wonder if that old bus driver is your parade bus driver....and perhaps the most important question I’ve asked all season.....what is your favourite pie to taste?
    I love tasting all pies, but my heart is in making and serving them up to my fellow GM’s.
    A favourite of mine is serving up a good ol’Coconut cream pie, as the Voodoo found out in the finals this year. KAPOW! Creamed.

Remind me to never eat your “Coconut” cream pie....You can now ask me one question...
    Your first season as the insider for the WHL went off with a smashing success, now the tricky part, how do you follow it up? Do you have any teasers for us to some new ideas for the coming season?
    Well since you are the Champ you can have a bonus question....”Smashing success”....that’s quite a compliment....I guess the tease would be to stay tuned...teasers will be announced over the Summer...will say this for now....predictions and prizes...

Dobber Sports Superstar

Great job Pieman and congrats on the double wins.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO