Page 82 of 94 FirstFirst ... 32 72 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 92 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1398

Thread: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Great interview! I now have a much better understanding of where Dryden comes from, and not just the location. Well done, great job guys!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Good Job, great read on a division rival.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Just back from sunny Cuba. Fantastic to come back to an Insider Interview. And more so with Dryden (Laidlaw). Have a much better appreciation for this GM and his management style!

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Let me introduce to you, Mr lack of punctuality himself....GM of the the Thunder...

What made you decide to join the WHL?

My apologies for the delay - thanks for being patient!

I had heard about the WHL through the forums after year #2, not long after the emails came around to get our team logos built. I knew it would be interesting to get into a daily league with a group of high-end fantasy players, so I "applied" and was fortunate enough to have been chosen.

You are an aggressive trader going after big fish like Malkin, Eichel, Hedman, etc. Care to share your “GM plan” on building a competitive fantasy team?

I finished last year in 13th place, pretty much the worst possible place to be in any league - in the middle. I felt my team had underachieved last year and decided I had to make a plan one way or another, so I decided to go for it. If you haven't noticed, I like to trade! I've learned to recognize who was making moves in a particular direction and just put an offer or two out there. I will admit it's difficult to get people to talk trade sometimes, but you have to realize people need to feel inspired to make a deal that they feel they win for their own reasons. Occasionally you just have to ask based on a gut feeling - that's how I was able to get Hedman. I've lost my fair share of deals (Marchand for Domi, Domi for something less than that) but if you don't make deals you won't be able to make an instantaneous change to your team. I wasn't interested in 13th again.

Editors note....Domi was for Killorn + Kerfoot.

You mentioned you are in 6 leagues...that is intense commitment, and you said you have an understanding wife, but have you ever had to get her to make a roster move for you when you couldn’t access a pool?

Haha no, I don't have her involved in any of those. The stress would be too much! I'm also involved in two football pools, and it's a great way to get her to cheer for a team on Monday night if she knows it could be worth some $$$!

What is one idea you would have to improve the WHL?

I was the one who tried to lead the charge on goalies last year, and when that didn't pan out I decided I had to get in front of it, be aggressive and pick up a goalie (Rittich, McMichael for my 2020 1st). When I see a forward have a five point night they usually get 6-7 points. A player who goes -4 will only go down about -0.6. That's the range I'd like to see goalie totals so that guys aren't afraid to use them. I've sat a few goalies this year because of that risk.

What is your current occupation and how did you get into that?

I'm an engineer with an oil and gas company in Calgary. I grew up in Saskatchewan and went to University of Saskatchewan in engineering to find my dream job which I hoped would be here, and I've been here for more than 20 years. It's stressful in these economic times and I've had to experience the same type of job stress as a number of my friends, but I love and enjoy it! Once I'm done though I'm totally going to cut grass or work at Home Depot as a retirement job!

What cities have you lived in?

I've stayed fairly close to the area, I was born in Saskatoon and lived in Lake Valley during my childhood before going to Medicine Hat for high school, then Red Deer and Calgary. I was really fortunate to grow up during a golden age of junior hockey - going to watch the Moose Jaw Warriors with Fleury play against Joe Sakic and the Swift Current Broncos, then living in Medicine Hat during their back-to-back Memorial Cups and going to high school with Osgood, Mark Peterson, Rob DiMaio and Linden. I'm definitely a western kid.

Any unique family holiday traditions?
    Nothing much unique, my parents just sold their house in Moose Jaw so it appears the torch has passed to us now.

Twitter questions from WHL GMs.....

Do you send your best trade offer first?

I send an offer that most times I would think the other team would be able to justify accepting. I have accepted deals from other GM's on their first offer as well. If I like the deal, just accept it and be happy. I'm too busy to go through multiple counters most times.

Do you start low, or high?

See above. I start with something good to be accepted or something close enough most times. If the goal is to get more people active in making deals, you have to be willing to make deals. It seems simple but it's not always. I have one person who read in a column years ago to never make the first offer... needless to say he's now 14th out of 16 teams without much hope for because he doesn't initiate deals and then usually never counters either. Where's the fun in that?

Editors note...thank you for keeping that last question about fantasy hockey....

Are you intentionally keeping the LA Kings duo?

I am keeping them in the hopes something turns around. Quick was a 110 pt goalie two years ago, so something has to happen? I don't really see where I have any choice right now. I do like Campbell also. It's just a matter of time I hope.

You may now ask me one question....

What brings you to doing this for us? You obviously must love fantasy hockey as much or more than we do. I would love to peer into someone else's league and be able to do the same for them (assuming I could find the time for that too haha). PS: Thank you very much for doing this, your work here is truly appreciated!

Well, what a compliment. I do love fantasy hockey, and after coming across the idea I gathered it would be fun to implement into a league, so then the search for which league began. It had to be a league with active, intelligent fantasy GMs for any chance of getting the idea rolling. It does take time you are correct, it is a grind to get info from sources on each team but as I gain trust, in time, the hope is that those sources may come to me with the info. Trust must be earned. Some sources are excellent with trusted intel already.

For those interested in asking me more....I will be hosting a rare in season “ask me anything” day today on Twitter.
    Follow me @WHLrumourmill for rumblings from around the World Hockey League

Dobber Sports Stud

This interview was worth the wait @Thunder & @Insider! Another great interview!!!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Love it.
    Such a great part of the current WHL!
    Thanks boys!!!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Great work again Insider and thanks for participating Thunder!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Who knew Kofax was a rambler....well now we know....

What was your strategic plan when entering into the WHL?
    Try not to look like an idiot. And really, I didn’t get off to a great start with Darling as my second pick in the dispersal draft. Beyond that, I just tried to be as prepared as possible; get familiar with the league rules and categories, look at the successful teams, try to understand league value based on past trades and build a team based on that. Skillful youth became a clear target and that’s what the rest of my draft and first season was based on. I never anticipated being as competitive as I was early. I thought I’d need to continue to build, but it seems I lucked out a bit with a couple of my picks and early acquisitions.

What got you into fantasy hockey?
    I’ve always been a hockey fan. Started playing organized hockey young, watched with my dad growing up, played on the street with friends any chance I got, couldn’t get enough. Combine that with my strength in math and science and Fantasy Hockey was a natural progression. A friend introduced me in 2006 and I was hooked; refreshing web pages, combing the box scores, dreaming up trade offers. Progressed to magazine projections where I noticed an add for dobber, signed up on the forums in 2009, lurked and read before finally having the courage to give advice and thankfully found this league a couple of years ago. It’s really by far the best fantasy league I have ever come across in all aspects.

What interests do you have outside of fantasy hockey?
    Beyond fantasy hockey, it’s primarily more sports! I play ice hockey once a week year round, curling in the winter, two slo-pitch leagues in the summer, some soccer through work when I’m needed and then trying to get my two young girls (5 and 7) as interested in sports as I am! They’re playing softball and started in hockey this year, so it’s been an exciting one for me, especially because they don’t completely hate it! (A funny side story from this past weekend; it’s a learn to play league, so drills and a short scrimmage at the end. My 7 year old scored a hattrick and I had to hold myself back from throwing my hat on the ice. Figured it would be bad form for learn to play….). Beyond sports I enjoy cooking, have gotten into smoking meat and I’m told I love to do home renovations by my wife (still not convinced on that one but that’s where the rest of my time seems to go).

What made you choose your team name?
    GloryBe’s logo contest of course! Well, that made it clear what logo to use anyways. If you’re interested, there’s a thread on dobber, some great designs in there. I think it was his second contest where I lucked out and nabbed a spot. Basically, the Fighting Turtles came from my love of Ninja Turtles as a kid, and Leonardo was my favourite, so that’s where the blue comes from. I grew up in Streetsville/Mississauga and am now in Vaughan, so GTA and I liked the sound of Toronto Fighting Turtles (bit of alliteration) as opposed to the Vaughan Fighting Turtles, so that’s what I went with.

What WHL GM would you most like to grab a beer with?
    That’s a tough one. I can ramble on paper but am not interesting enough to carry a conversation in person, so maybe the Generals so I wouldn’t have to talk? Either them or the Pietasters who can buy me a beer to help me get over last years semi-final loss to them by 0.09 points (#clearlyoverit).

Got to ask, how did #TheTrade you made in the off season come to fruition?
    Well, it’s not everyday you get to swing a blockbuster acquiring Wennberg for Seabrook, but it actually came together quite organically…. What? That’s not #TheTrade?
    In all seriousness, the McDavid deal involved a lot of discussion, a lot of research and projection, and a lot of humming and hawing. I know depth is important in the WHL, especially when that depth consists of young assets with reasonable/good contracts, so it wasn’t an easy decision (although not all of the contracts had been solidified at the time). Compounding this was the fact that the league would be expanding the number of keepers at the year end. Ultimately, I decided it’s McDavid, and you don’t get a shot at acquiring him often, so I decided to bet on myself that I could use the two 12th round picks to find reasonable replacements that would make up the gap and pulled the trigger. To date, I think it’s been pretty close.

How do you feel that #TheTrade likely is what led to Manitoba having to relocate?
    It makes me sad to think I’m involved in the Moose relocating. The Manitoba Moose have got to be one of my (if not THE) favourite franchise name in the WHL. Maybe the league can start a petition to convince the Moose not to relocate! So much hashtag potential with Moose!

Is there a trade you have declined that you now regret?
    I haven’t had any trades that I really deliberated on but ultimately declined. If it’s close enough, I’ll try to get it to a point where I’m happy with it, and if it doesn’t get there, it means I wasn’t comfortable. There hasn’t been one I remember where it was close and I wish I had accepted as of yet, but I’m sure it will come with time.

What is your day job and how did you get into it?
    I am a P.Eng., like I believe a number of league members are, currently practicing as a Project Manager/Engineer for a consulting firm in the Wastewater Industry in Ontario. We design and manage construction of pumping stations and treatment plants for Cities, Regions and Municipalities. Keep the pipes flowing! I went through the Chem Eng and Biosciences program at McMaster and just kind of fell into it due to my strengths in math and science. Not really knowing what I wanted to do, engineering kept a bunch of doors open.

Now to your fellow GM Twitter questions....

From Generals GM...what compromising photos do you have of Moose GM in order to pull off #TheTrade?
    I can neither confirm nor deny there was an incident at the past summers team mascot convention involving a Moose and Hooker….

From former Moose GM....would you consider changing your name to Moose2?
    I will slowly and steadily stay the course. It’s the turtle way.

You may now ask me one question....
    Answer in the form of a GIF. How excited were you when the Victoria Dead Hookers finally made a trade?
    Visit me on Twitter for my answer....[/QUOTE]

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by WHLinsider View Post

GloryBe’s logo contest of course! Well, that made it clear what logo to use anyways. If you’re interested, there’s a thread on dobber, some great designs in there. I think it was his second contest where I lucked out and nabbed a spot. Basically, the Fighting Turtles came from my love of Ninja Turtles as a kid, and Leonardo was my favourite, so that’s where the blue comes from. I grew up in Streetsville/Mississauga and am now in Vaughan, so GTA and I liked the sound of Toronto Fighting Turtles (bit of alliteration) as opposed to the Vaughan Fighting Turtles, so that’s what I went with.
    Oh the good ol'days!

Quote Originally Posted by WHLinsider View Post
    What WHL GM would you most like to grab a beer with?
    That’s a tough one. I can ramble on paper but am not interesting enough to carry a conversation in person, so maybe the Generals so I wouldn’t have to talk? Either them or the Pietasters who can buy me a beer to help me get over last years semi-final loss to them by 0.09 points (#clearlyoverit).
    I will be happy to buy you more than one beer Kofax. When your in Calgary let me know!
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Stud

Great interview

Dobber Sports Stud

Good interview guys! Looking forward to the next one.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Another gem of an interview! Love these so much!
    Thanks to WHL_Insider and Kofax for the fun read!!!

Dobber Sports Padawan

I wanted to save my 1000th post for this forum. It's fantastic to see yet another great GM interview that gets into things besides hockey. A wonderful community and proud to be a part of it.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thank you to GM of the Voodoo for the latest interview....

What got you into fantasy hockey?
    That would be my older brother. Always looked up to him and when he got into it I followed him into it. He started entering some box pick leagues then started up his own keeper league, and that got me hooked.

How many fantasy leagues are you in?
    3, but with increasing family time I don’t plan to stay in all 3, can’t keep up with them all, just not enough time so going to pare it down to 1 or 2 max next year. Not leaving this one though.

What interests do you have outside of fantasy hockey?
    Spending time with the family would easily be first here. Also like to follow other sports soccer, basketball, golf, like to go running, play poker, travel when possible.

When I was a kid there was briefly a professional roller hockey team that was popular in Vancouver called the Vancouver Voodoo, it was fun to watch and that is also where I took my logo from.

What is one real world sports accomplishment (non fantasy hockey) you are proud of?
    My youth soccer team winning the National Championships when I was a teenager, and that our team played in 3 straight National Championship finals.

What is your Stanley Cup Final prediction?
    I will go with Carolina over Nashville in 6 games.

What is your current occupation and how did you get into it?
    The exciting world of retail management. Was not my career aspiration by any means, but got injured playing soccer while in college and was offered a coaching job. The guy in charge of coaching had also bought a retail store franchise, offered me a job at his store too, worked my way up to management and then stayed within the retail industry in varied capacities.

What cities have you lived in?
    Have only lived in the Lower Mainland, in various suburbs around the Vancouver area.

What countries have you travelled to?
    Mexico, Italy, US, England.

Your fellow GM didn’t ask any Twitter questions...so we will move along and you can now ask me one question....

If you could change one thing in the WHL what would it be?
    It would be to give me the Nailers vacant GM job....

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Just got caught up on Kofax and then Voodoo’s interview. Damn this perk of the insider is like none other in any other league I’ve experienced. Truly a fun read... getting to know our Fellow GM’s more personally...so happy to be part of the WHL.