Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Dynasty Cap League - Seeking Opinions on 9th Pick Overall & Strategy Beyond

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: New Dynasty Cap League - Seeking Opinions on 9th Pick Overall & Strategy Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I decided that in a 16 team league, I couldn't go until my 3rd round pick without 1 decent goaltender, so I went with Ben Bishop (W,Saves,GAA,SV%). I'm not thrilled. Rask was taken with the pick right in front of mine. Some tears were shed on that one.

I won't mention the players I was considering instead of the Bishop pick, but once/if they go, I'll chime in. You just never know which players will make it back to you, so radio silence for this guy...
    Bishop is a very good goalie, definitely worth a 2nd round pick, so you made the right pick here. Personally, I'd want Bishop ahead of Dubnyk at least, maybe some other names on that list as well.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: New Dynasty Cap League - Seeking Opinions on 9th Pick Overall & Strategy Beyond

I don't think you should feel bad about taking Bishop there. He is not a reach and will give a #1G stats for awhile. Just try to handcuff with you know who. :-)

Dobber Sports Stud

I want to comment but have a new dynasty draft coming up next week with a few Dobber posters and don`t want to show my hand.

I will say that Ovechkin at #9 is a solid pick. You aren`t going to get better production at that point in the draft. Alex is a beast for shots alone
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Comish - you'll have to post the top 4 or 8 rounds.
    I'm curious how new dynasties are drafting this year - have our own 24-team league on Fantrax that will start on August 1st.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm not the commish, but here you go up to last pick of round 3. There's some weird ones in here...
    Round 1
    1 - McDavid 2 - Price 3 - Seguin 4 - Crosby
    5 - Rinne 6 - Benn 7 - Tavares 8 - Stamkos
    9 - Ovechkin 10 - Lundqvist 11 - quick 12 - Malkin
    13 - Eichel 14 - fleury 15 - Karlsson 16 - Holtby

Round 2
    1 - Dubnyk 2 - Schneider 3 - Andersen 4 - Bobrovsky
    5 - Tarasenko 6 - Crawford 7 - Rask 8 - bishop
    9 - Mason 10 - Subban 11 - Lehner 12 - Halak
    13 - varlamov 14 - oel 15 - weber 16 - Giroux

Round 3

1-hall 2-landeskog 3-Hamilton 4-Mackinnon
    5-RyJo 6-Ekblad 7-EKane 8-Voracek
    9-Backstrom 10-Kessel 11-Pacioretty 12-RStrome
    13-Forsberg 14-Carlson 15-Drouin 16-(??)
    12-man salary cap roto keeper league, 25 roster spots & 8 farm (12 F, 6D, 2G active - max 82GP/spot) - 83M cap, real AAV - G/A/P/PPP/SOGs/Hits/PIM W/GAA/SO
    F: Giroux, Little, Steen, Downie, Perron, Hudler, Bouma, Rinaldo, BSchenn, MKarlsson, Nelson, Spooner, Pastrnak, Bjorkstrand, Panarin
    D: Markov, Sekera, Klingberg, Boychuk, Brodie, Karlsson, Reilly
    G: Miller, Howard, Mrazek
    Farm: Petan, Hellebuyck, Goldobin, Werenski, Beauvillier, DeBrusk, Rychel, Kyle Connor

Dobber Sports Ninja

I won't mention the players I was considering instead of the Bishop pick, but once/if they go, I'll chime in. You just never know which players will make it back to you, so radio silence for this guy...
    I was very surprised that Giroux was still available for my 2nd round pick, but I had to take a #1 goalie. He had a bad year last season, but he's only 27 years old and locked into what will be an okay cap hit for the next half dozen years. I was also considering Steve Mason (great underlying numbers on a non-playoff Flyers) and Varlamov, but I just liked TB more.

Took Nick Backstrom Wsh with my 3rd pick. It wasn't easy because he's not exactly a roto-stud, however, he does balance my Goals (Ovechkin) with Assists and those PPP are definitely elite, plus he does provide some hits (90ish). I was looking at Kessel as well, but the $8M AAV (which we are using instead of actual cap hits) versus Backstrom's $6.8M pushed me to choose Backs. I own Kessel in another dynasty league and I'm eagerly anticipating what he can do outside the intense media spotlight that is Toronto.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

The only concern I'd have with Bishop is I know at least one other player is verrrrry high on Vasi, so getting him earlier than later is a priority.
    The goalie run really opened up some elite-level players like Giroux, Backstrom & Kessel to go late. Guys I would've considered in the 1st still available is surprising, but the trend now is goalie run-young, cheap, high upside run.
    12-man salary cap roto keeper league, 25 roster spots & 8 farm (12 F, 6D, 2G active - max 82GP/spot) - 83M cap, real AAV - G/A/P/PPP/SOGs/Hits/PIM W/GAA/SO
    F: Giroux, Little, Steen, Downie, Perron, Hudler, Bouma, Rinaldo, BSchenn, MKarlsson, Nelson, Spooner, Pastrnak, Bjorkstrand, Panarin
    D: Markov, Sekera, Klingberg, Boychuk, Brodie, Karlsson, Reilly
    G: Miller, Howard, Mrazek
    Farm: Petan, Hellebuyck, Goldobin, Werenski, Beauvillier, DeBrusk, Rychel, Kyle Connor

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by adalyfrey View Post
    The only concern I'd have with Bishop is I know at least one other player is verrrrry high on Vasi, so getting him earlier than later is a priority.
    The goalie run really opened up some elite-level players like Giroux, Backstrom & Kessel to go late. Guys I would've considered in the 1st still available is surprising, but the trend now is goalie run-young, cheap, high upside run.
    Meh, I won't reach to take a handcuff. Vasilevskiy is still only 20 years old and could be as many as 3 years from being an NHL regular. Still lots of older starters and share situations to jump on if I miss out on the handcuff. I would prefer a 50+ point defenseman over the luxury of a handcuff! Yes, I would be disappointed, but a good-great draft means never reaching.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Meh, I won't reach to take a handcuff. Vasilevskiy is still only 20 years old and could be as many as 3 years from being an NHL regular. Still lots of older starters and share situations to jump on if I miss out on the handcuff. I would prefer a 50+ point defenseman over the luxury of a handcuff! Yes, I would be disappointed, but a good-great draft means never reaching.
    I completely agree. The worst thing one can do in a draft like this is to start reaching for players. The risks should be taken late in the draft where you are trying for a homerun.

It is very interesting to see Giroux, Backstrom, and Kessel falling like that. They are all in the primes of their careers and it is very strange that they got picked so late. Especially for Kessel to finally play with an elite center, I thought he would be scooped early. I guess this is what I call a goalie run! There were definitely goalies that I would not have even thought about picking before these guys - Andersen, Lehner!

Dobber Sports Novice

HAHA!! Just came across this thread. I'm actually in this new dynasty pool as well! It has been interesting so far.....many guys have slipped a bit further than I expected but it's tough to act when it's a 16 team league because the gaps between picks are huge.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Goalie runs... always the most interesting part of larger fantasy pools.
    As noted - it's one thing to get on a goalie run... it's another to forego it and take advantage of the elite skater talent available.

16-team leagues are so weird.
    I hate that number.

In a 16team league starting 1G, I'd be totally laying off goalies completely.
    In a 16team league starting 2G, I'd be jumping all over them.

There's no in-between ground here... they are either plentiful or scarce.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Goalie runs... always the most interesting part of larger fantasy pools.
    As noted - it's one thing to get on a goalie run... it's another to forego it and take advantage of the elite skater talent available.

16-team leagues are so weird.
    I hate that number.

In a 16team league starting 1G, I'd be totally laying off goalies completely.
    In a 16team league starting 2G, I'd be jumping all over them.

There's no in-between ground here... they are either plentiful or scarce.

I am also in this league, and yes the goalie run definitely went early and the g's left on the board are either getting older with young backups primed to take their job/timeshare or on terrible teams, like bernier.
    Multi-Cat League G,A,P, PIMS,HITS,BLKS, SOG, PPP, GAA, Sv%, Wins
    15 Team Dynasty Salary cap league using AAV
    Active: 12 FWDS 6 Defence 2 Goalies
    Bench: 5
    Farm: 10

F: Larkin, Zibanejad, Gaudreau, Tavares, Laine, Lafreniere, Suzuki, Dach, Comtois, Glass, Zadina, Villardi, Mittlestadt, Virtanen, Saad
    D: Chychrun, Sergachev, Dumba, Ty Smith, OEL, Dermott, Brodie
    G:Rittich, Quick, Cal Petersen, Desmith

Farm: Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, Podkolzin, Gunler, Drysdale, Byram, Askarov, Ukko-pekka Lukkonen, Dustin Wolf

2021 rookie Draft:: 4 1st rd picks

2022 draft: 6 1st rd picks

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by adalyfrey View Post
    I'm not the commish, but here you go up to last pick of round 3. There's some weird ones in here...
    Round 1
    1 - McDavid 2 - Price 3 - Seguin 4 - Crosby
    5 - Rinne 6 - Benn 7 - Tavares 8 - Stamkos
    9 - Ovechkin 10 - Lundqvist 11 - quick 12 - Malkin
    13 - Eichel 14 - fleury 15 - Karlsson 16 - Holtby

Round 2
    1 - Dubnyk 2 - Schneider 3 - Andersen 4 - Bobrovsky
    5 - Tarasenko 6 - Crawford 7 - Rask 8 - bishop
    9 - Mason 10 - Subban 11 - Lehner 12 - Halak
    13 - varlamov 14 - oel 15 - weber 16 - Giroux

Round 3

1-hall 2-landeskog 3-Hamilton 4-Mackinnon
    5-RyJo 6-Ekblad 7-EKane 8-Voracek
    9-Backstrom 10-Kessel 11-Pacioretty 12-RStrome
    13-Forsberg 14-Carlson 15-Drouin 16-(??)
    last pick of the 3rd to final pick of the 4th round

Round 3

16. josi

Round 4

1- johnson 2-simmonds 3-vasilevsky 4-faulk
    5-byfuglien 6-hedman 7-burns 8-N Foligno
    9-allen 10-kucherov 11-talbot 12-giordano
    13-getzlaf 14-kane 15-gibson 16- hamonic
    Multi-Cat League G,A,P, PIMS,HITS,BLKS, SOG, PPP, GAA, Sv%, Wins
    15 Team Dynasty Salary cap league using AAV
    Active: 12 FWDS 6 Defence 2 Goalies
    Bench: 5
    Farm: 10

F: Larkin, Zibanejad, Gaudreau, Tavares, Laine, Lafreniere, Suzuki, Dach, Comtois, Glass, Zadina, Villardi, Mittlestadt, Virtanen, Saad
    D: Chychrun, Sergachev, Dumba, Ty Smith, OEL, Dermott, Brodie
    G:Rittich, Quick, Cal Petersen, Desmith

Farm: Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, Podkolzin, Gunler, Drysdale, Byram, Askarov, Ukko-pekka Lukkonen, Dustin Wolf

2021 rookie Draft:: 4 1st rd picks

2022 draft: 6 1st rd picks

Dobber Sports Sophomore

McDavid #1 ? Not sure if i believe in that pick.. Id rather take Taveras if not Crosby..
    16 Team H2H - 1 Win per week league
    G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, Hits, Bks, GAA, Sv, Sv%, W, SHO

C - Koivu, Granlund, Duchene, Soderberg
    LW - Landeskog, E. Kane, Rinaldo, JVR
    RW - Kessel, Atkinson, Iginla, MacKinnon
    D - E. Johnson, Trouba, S. Jones, Barrie, Gardiner,
    G - Varlamov, Bernier, Reimer
    B - Clarkson, Nash (Car)
    IR - Krug
    Farm - Nylander, Lazar, Ehlers, Bleakely

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Comish - you'll have to post the top 4 or 8 rounds.
    I'm curious how new dynasties are drafting this year - have our own 24-team league on Fantrax that will start on August 1st.

Rounds 4-7 went as follows. My apologies for the "size" of the reply. We are currently starting round 12 so let me know if you want me to post rounds 8-11.

Round 4
    1 - T. Johnson
    2 - Simmonds
    3 - Vasilevsky
    4 - Faulk
    5 - Byfuglien
    6 - Hedman
    7 - Burns
    8 - Foligno
    9 - Allen
    10 - Kucherov
    11 - Talbot