Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dobber's ways to increase NHL scoring

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Dobber's ways to increase NHL scoring

#1. I kinda think the coaching has gone too far.
    I think one coach on the bench would help. Make the coach try to watch the game, coach, line match, all by himself. Mistakes will be made and weaker skilled teams won't be able to be coached like chess pieces.

#2. We have are rare sport in which we can change on the fly. How bout not being able to change lineups on stoppages.only on the fly. Again this would stop some line matching and cause more goals. ..... Or if that's to much, maybe when your team goes off side you must keep the line on the ice just like an icing.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Deity

I still think the goalie playing the puck (and how much of an art it has become for them) has really affected the forecheck for teams and limited time in the offensive zone, thus limiting scoring chances.

Make goalies who leave their crease fair game to be checked just like any other skater on the ice. Their crease is their save zone, but if a goalie feels the need to skate out of his crease to corral the puck with the intent of playing it forward, then he should be as open to a body check as any other skater out there.

As a goalie myself, trust me when I say, they have more gear on than any other skater out there. The body check to them isn't as bad as one may think.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

#5-#2 are dead on. Simple and easy.
    #1 I love, but as others have mentioned, I don't see how you can enforce this. Is going down to block a 2 on 1 pass or shot punishable? What about a dive or where they say they hit a rut. I know I'm being picky but that is what I see happening. Also players are always or almost always taught to do whatever to stop a goal. Now you may need to re-teach them Now serving the full 2 minutes etc will curb this in itself and lower the amount of times guy will drop down to conserve energy etc.

I also feel goalies coming out should be fair game or not allowed to come out of the crease. Too much puck playing by the tendys imo.
    Also what about calling more misconducts (single ones like bench, arguing, diving etc) and maybe accompanying a single misconduct with a 2 minute minor? More power plays could result and less silliness
    I like the idea of cutting the coaches down as well but maybe start with just one cut? I agree it would put more emphasis on the players themselves to monitor the game.

My radical idea: could be two fold but what about dressing less players. Say 2 less. This would make the star players play more minutes-double shift etc and would limit shot blocking/chance of injury etc.
    Plus imo this would help lessen the cap burden as maybe a guy like a semin would be less likely to have a spot? It could also have the way for more 2 way deals (another cap relief) and would strengthen the ahl while also making the coaches and gms jobs more challenging.
    This would also limit the #4 dman from getting $5M/year and almost force more offensive minded d men into the league (which should also allott for more goals both ways)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    5. Call the clutching and grabbing. Again.
    I'm sorry. But it's back. No, it's not nearly as bad as it was in the late 90s/early 00s. But it's bad. Interference is creeping back in and I'd like to see this nipped at the bud before it gets to pre-2004 levels. This would free up the skill guys a little more and it would increase power plays. That alone would add about 10 goals per team per year. This isn't changing the great game by adding a new rule - it's simply using rules that are there.

4. Five minutes of 4-on-4 OT and then five minutes of 3-on-3 OT
    I hate the shootout. But I'd probably like it if each team had maybe one per season instead of this joke in which each team gets about 10 of these per season. Clutchy teams will have trouble holding back talented teams for 10 minutes - especially with fewer players on the ice. Fans would love this kind of run-and-gun hockey, and they would grow to love the shootout again when it becomes rare. This would add three to four goals per team per season, in my (roughly estimated) opinion.

3. Serve the full two minutes
    This is how it was back in the olden days and was changed when the Montreal Canadiens were scoring a hundred goals each time they got the power play. Bring that rule back and it would easily add 20 or more goals per team per campaign.

2. Reduce goalie equipment
    Let's face it. This is an ongoing battle. The goalies keep fighting it, so all we can ask for are baby steps. But keep taking them. Tweak the equipment smaller and smaller until we can get back down to the way it used to be, but with bullet-proof vests (i.e. Kevlar?).

1. Eliminate fall-to-the-ice shot-blocking
    This is my only radical one, and I know blocking shots is a skill. But I've always been against it and as a coach I would never ask a scoring-line player to fall in front of a puck. No way. Stopping a goal is not as important as keeping a 30-goal scorer healthy. But now I'm suggesting giving a player a two-minute penalty for falling to the ice in front of a shot. Blocking one while staying on your feet is fine, just don't go down in front of it. Besides cutting injuries down by - what - 10%? 20? It would also let more shots through, which by the law of averages would mean more goals and rebounds. And getting back to the 'injuries' part, how many more goals will be scored just by keeping better players in the lineups of all 30 teams?

What do you think?

Agree.
    Agree.
    Agree.
    Agree.
    Agree.

I love all of these.
    Can't really find anything grand to debate here, they are smart moves.

I thought I remember hearing that the NHL was planning to take away skater lay-downs... or was it players diving/swatting to chase down someone(? - can't remember).
    I think they could set the rule where a skater must always have one skate blade on the ice at all time... and may not put a knee to the ice - essentially two tree trunks of blockage - no more.
    In general, it's just dangerous to have guys leaving their feet.

I love the full two minute PP... I think that would curb penalties more than anything.
    NHL should start with that because it might take care of guys doing the clutch-and-grab.

Dobber Sports Legend

What do you think?
    Here's my take...

I'm sorry. But it's back. No, it's not nearly as bad as it was in the late 90s/early 00s. But it's bad. Interference is creeping back in and I'd like to see this nipped at the bud before it gets to pre-2004 levels. This would free up the skill guys a little more and it would increase power plays. That alone would add about 10 goals per team per year. This isn't changing the great game by adding a new rule - it's simply using rules that are there.
    No, no, no, no. BLATANT obstruction is one thing - and they are still calling it - but calling all of the borderline, ticky-tack penalties, where a player barely touches another player, makes the game utterly unwatchable. Not to mention, it rewards divers and players who are skilled at fooling the refs (cough, cough, Penguins, cough). Nobody wants to see 18 penalties a game and have the flow of the game stopped every two minutes with another call, followed by a soft make-up call, then another call. The way the game is being called right now is fine - I still think there are too many soft penalties called. I'm all for increasing scoring but not by stopping play every 30 seconds to call penalties. Absolutely not.

I hate the shootout. But I'd probably like it if each team had maybe one per season instead of this joke in which each team gets about 10 of these per season. Clutchy teams will have trouble holding back talented teams for 10 minutes - especially with fewer players on the ice. Fans would love this kind of run-and-gun hockey, and they would grow to love the shootout again when it becomes rare. This would add three to four goals per team per season, in my (roughly estimated) opinion.
    Love this idea. It would be extremely entertaining and would ultimately result in less shootouts (which is a good thing).

This is how it was back in the olden days and was changed when the Montreal Canadiens were scoring a hundred goals each time they got the power play. Bring that rule back and it would easily add 20 or more goals per team per campaign.
    I can buy this idea as well, just as long as the penalty call wasn't a B.S. call to begin with. But I see no reason why a team shouldn't serve the full 2 minutes. It will increase scoring naturally and will punish teams who frequently take lazy penalties. I'm in.

Let's face it. This is an ongoing battle. The goalies keep fighting it, so all we can ask for are baby steps. But keep taking them. Tweak the equipment smaller and smaller until we can get back down to the way it used to be, but with bullet-proof vests (i.e. Kevlar?).
    Yes. Absolutely-effing-yes! Goalie equipment today is more about performance assisting than it is protection. There's no reason on earth that goalie gear (especially the blocker and catcher gloves) need to be as massive as they are. Let alone the hulking chest pads. By all means, protect the goaltender. But don't give them an artificially-inflated size benefit.

This is my only radical one, and I know blocking shots is a skill. But I've always been against it and as a coach I would never ask a scoring-line player to fall in front of a puck. No way. Stopping a goal is not as important as keeping a 30-goal scorer healthy. But now I'm suggesting giving a player a two-minute penalty for falling to the ice in front of a shot. Blocking one while staying on your feet is fine, just don't go down in front of it. Besides cutting injuries down by - what - 10%? 20? It would also let more shots through, which by the law of averages would mean more goals and rebounds. And getting back to the 'injuries' part, how many more goals will be scored just by keeping better players in the lineups of all 30 teams?
    I am down with this as well. I'm sick of defensive coaches and their defensive schemes. I'm also sick of teams like the Rangers who stand in a line and block a large amount of shots. I hate to say it, but when teams do this, I openly wish for a puck to hurt a player so they get out of the darn way. That's what goalies are for - stopping pucks. There shouldn't be 6 goalies on the ice for each team.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

The Great One

More or less just a question of ease of calling it. If you skate towards someone and he takes a shot and hits your shin pads, how is that your fault? It eliminates trying to decide if you're blocking the shot on purpose. Going down in front of the shot makes it pretty clear you're looking to block.
    I can just see it now. Anytime somebody falls to the ice, the opposing team will blast a puck at him in order to draw a penalty.

I'm just trying to imagine basketball banning attempted shot blocks. Or football banning the D-line from blocking a Qb's pass. In order to create more scoring? It seems ridiculous to me.

And I don't see how you can sell the safety argument if you aren't going to address all the other instances where players leave their feet. They don't just do it to block shots.

And I'd love to see stats on how many shots are blocking laying down versus standing up. My guess is banning laying down blocks will just result in more standing up blocks.
    Hockey players are ALWAYS going to attempt to block shots.

Dobber Sports Titan

The shot blocking is radicle. 2on1, player dives to block a pass, offensive player just shoots it at the player. 1, defensive player is injured, 2, they now get a powerplay for 2 minutes. What if the player dives to block the pass and on his way up (stomach still on the ice) and gets a pass/shot blocked? That one would be hard to police.

2 full minute powerplays would be best if a player gets over X amount of minutes maybe? Or on certain penalties. Dumping a puck over the glass (in my mind) doesn’t deserve a full 2 minute sit. OR, player sits for 4minutes in the box, but the penalty is like a normal, 2minute, one. The team is on the PK for 2minutes, if the other team scores it’s back to 5on5, but the offender in the box stays there for the full 4 minutes. At the end of the 2minutes, the killing team comes off the PK on the next whistle maybe. So, if the PP team can hem the other team in, the PP continues.

Regular season was fine with calling penalties, the playoffs were ridiculous. I like the way they called penalties in the regular season, maybe with the exception of pinning a player on the boards when the puck squirts out. The defenseman holds the forward way to long sometimes, but it isn’t called.

Goalie equipment, ya, they don’t need them that size. The glove and blocker are the most ridiculous, coupled with the chest protector. When was the last time a goalie got a stinger even when stopping a shot with his hands?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'm just trying to imagine basketball banning attempted shot blocks.
    The big difference is, there are no goaltenders in basketball who are tasked with "blocking shots." If there were no goalies in hockey, it would make sense to have 5 players on each team focused on shot-blocking. But having a goalie dressed like the Michelin Man PLUS 5 players blocking shots is complete overkill and kills offense.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    The big difference is, there are no goaltenders in basketball who are tasked with "blocking shots." If there were no goalies in hockey, it would make sense to have 5 players on each team focused on shot-blocking. But having a goalie dressed like the Michelin Man PLUS 5 players blocking shots is complete overkill and kills offense.
    I know my issue isn't with the thought on this, but how would this be enforced? To me it's highly subjective. What if you go down to block the shot, but the offensive player fakes and goes around you, is it a delayed penalty?
    I think this is too obviously bad, and the way to defeat it, is to go around it, make changes elsewhere, which will force teams out of this stance.

Administrator

With PPs being more lethal I could see teams complaining a lot and ultimately causing a reduction in penalties called. Sort of like how Shanahan started reducing player suspensions after his first few weeks on the job. Personally I love the idea and would even take it a step farther to prevent the shorthanded team from icing the puck. I just see the current group behind the scenes going half-way and then stopping.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    I know my issue isn't with the thought on this, but how would this be enforced? To me it's highly subjective. What if you go down to block the shot, but the offensive player fakes and goes around you, is it a delayed penalty?
    I think this is too obviously bad, and the way to defeat it, is to go around it, make changes elsewhere, which will force teams out of this stance.
    I agree. Enforcing this properly is the tricky part.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Star

This could easily be my #1. Get back to post lockout calling and keep that standard this time.

An other favorite of mine. Who wouldn't want the best players in the world go 3 on 3? And with less shootouts, they could make it to 5 shooters and removing a bit of luck.

I'm not against this. Talented teams could benifit from this.

Goalies are getting bigger and better, so are equipments, but not the goals. Keep the goalies protected, but without overdoing it.

More shots should equal to more goals. Players would still block shots as it's the 'it' thing right now, but this could lead to a few more shots that get to the net each game.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

re: Blocking Shots.
    I think it could be enforced.

My rule would be:
    Penalty: Knee/leg/pant touching ice (when player lowers to prevent puck advancement. Obviously - player falling down randomly near puck is not automatic penalty.)

Penalty.

Penalty.

Penalty.

Penalty.

Penalty (knee down) - but this would have some grey areas, like the NBA equivalent of "Was his toe on the 3pt line?" or the NFL "Knee down?" check.
    Here - with the white sock on the white ice, it's actually very hard to tell if he's touching... (yucky "grey area")
    But I think, with modern video, the refs just let play go on and a video judge can inform if knee touched ice after play is dead.

Not a penalty. [Side note: I have/wear those skates!]

Not a penalty. (just a guy that might lose some teeth)

And I think players would get used to their mindset of: "If I start to bend down, my knee may touch and I may get a penalty."
    And they'll eventually stop doing it.
    [It's a bit similar to "hooking". Sometimes a guy just gets a stick up around a player's waist but doesn't yank... and he'll get called. The player will say "I didn't even pull him". And the ref will say "Hey, if you don't want the penalty, don't get your stick up there." Same for this rule. Don't start bending down and you won't get called.]

Forcing guys to stay upright & on their feet is also better for player safety.
    So it increases scoring AND helps player safety.
    Win-Win, IMO.

Dobber Sports Ace

See the issue I have with blocking shots is the final picture Penguin posted (the Avs "collapsing" in front of the net). This is why I feel instead of tackling the blocking of shots directly, you need to go around it. How do you stop what is happening in that last picture?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    See the issue I have with blocking shots is the final picture Penguin posted (the Avs "collapsing" in front of the net). This is why I feel instead of tackling the blocking of shots directly, you need to go around it. How do you stop what is happening in that last picture?
    You don't stop that.
    That FLA player is trying to shoot through four Avs, which is just dumb.
    You don't try to shoot through four opponents. That is a pass that should've been made.

It's not a bad rule just because one player in one photo is making the wrong play.
    Sheesh.