Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Dobber's ways to increase NHL scoring

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Dobber's ways to increase NHL scoring

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    I've taken too many zingers off the ankle just standing in the lane or skating toward the defenceman shooting the puck, each one more painful than anything I've blocked laying down on the ice.
    At the end of the day guys are going to get hurt taking shots to the ankle/skate/body no matter what.
    Actually, this is no longer true.
    Thanks to modern technology/invention - many defenseman wear skateguard shotblockers.
    I hear ya - I play defense and I take one or two a season that hobble me off the ice.
    But I've got two (richer) teammates that wear them and say they truely work, aren't heavy, and don't inhibit skating at all.
    http://shotblockers.com/
    They've risen in popularity in the last 2-3 years... still some guys don't wear 'em.
    Heck, some guys don't wear shields... or mouthguards.
    I wear a damn neckguard in my men's league - but 95% don't... not sure why, we're effin amateur hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    He'll come up with a system where he goes down, but stays on the toes of his skates and his elbows. The only time his knees will touch the ice will be when he's going to stand back up.
    The rule could very easily apply to include the getting-up-part after going-down.
    And like the NFL, you could apply the elbow/forearm area to also being down.

[edit: loophole comment removed. easy detraction from main point, safety.]

It's definitely a worthy rule to explore, IMO.
    Good video below.
    Shows the one-knee approach too (which is acceptable, but does expose an ankle).

Even the one-knee blocked attempt can result in knee injury if the puck finds it's way through. Even the best shin pads often can't provide great side-coverage of the knee.
    Sami Lepisto injury, thanks to Lauri Korpikoski:

Not sure how many of you remember Trent McCleary...
    "within minutes of dying"...

And Mr.Shotblock, Josh Gorges... I mean, this guy is THE pro at this, and yet...

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Besides, hockey players aren't "loophole" guys (normally).
    If the NHL notifies teams that they don't want guys "going down" to block shots... the NHL players will abide.
    I do think you'll still see players twist a bit and lower a knee... but I think that's an OK grey area.
    You aren't going to see players creatively try to get into push-up or rowing like postures just to take up ground space.
    I disagree. I think players are always looking for loopholes, but the NHL is usually good at closing some of them very quickly. Think Sean Avery facing Brodeur. Or the rule where you can’t take off your helmet in a fight, so two guys took them off each other in a preaseason game. Those two were resolved quickly. But not are. How about centres who fall on the puck after an important faceoff in the defensive zone with a few seconds left in the game? Mike Keenan switching goalies in the early 90s to rest his players instead of using timeouts. Goalies who intentionally bump the opposition to get a whistle for a no-goal. Heck, the fact that players dive as soon as they feel a stick near them is a loophole (if there was no hooking or tripping penalties, there’d be no diving).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    Simply go back to the zero tolerance attitude the league set up 2005 for penalties. It took some time to establish it, but it worked.
    Please. God. No. Watching the NHL the first couple years out of the lockout was like watching the NFL last year in preseason - it was a complete joke. The game cannot establish flow and momentum if penalties are being called every 10 seconds. And a percentage of those penalties were bogus, followed by just-as-bogus makeup calls. I'd rather see a 3-2 game that has nice momentum than a 5-3 game where 4 goals were scored on constant PP's that interrupted the flow of a good, competitive game. I think the game was officiated fine this season and in the playoffs. Even in the playoffs teams were getting PP's in double OT when legit penalties were warranted.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I disagree. I think players are always looking for loopholes, but the NHL is usually good at closing some of them very quickly. Think Sean Avery facing Brodeur. Or the rule where you can’t take off your helmet in a fight, so two guys took them off each other in a preaseason game. Those two were resolved quickly. But not are. How about centres who fall on the puck after an important faceoff in the defensive zone with a few seconds left in the game? Mike Keenan switching goalies in the early 90s to rest his players instead of using timeouts. Goalies who intentionally bump the opposition to get a whistle for a no-goal. Heck, the fact that players dive as soon as they feel a stick near them is a loophole (if there was no hooking or tripping penalties, there’d be no diving).
    OK - fair enough.
    I'll take that part out... because I think there is a greater issue to discuss than the "loophole" part.
    (Tangents always happen when somebody cuts out just one smaller part they disagree with instead of the greater point... then a thread goes from Patrick Sharp to Beau Bennett in a matter of minutes!)

I...am your father.

There's one big problem with saying guys can't lay down to block a shot: a lot of guys will get really good at almost laying down. I used to play in a co-ed ball hockey league, where you couldn't block a shot by lying down or putting a knee on the ground. I got pretty decent at putting my knee down about an inch off the ground to block shots. You take a guy who is making millions of dollars a year to block shots (aka, Josh Gorges), and he'll figure something out. He'll come up with a system where he goes down, but stays on the toes of his skates and his elbows.
    Another very interesting points, but that would be acceptable. And boy would it ever put the skill into shot-blocking, taking the talent to another level...I certainly have no problem with that.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm pretty happy with Hockey as it is. I'm not sure why there needs to be more scoring just to increase marketing...i for one think it's a good enough product to attract more markets as it stands. Americans are already coming around to soccer so why can't hockey grow with more than double the goals soccer has.

I'm also surprised at how many people want to increase the number of powerplays. 5 on 5 is where it's at...Thats hockey. I hate watching penalty rich games. They have a clunky slow pace and no flow. I love playoff hockey the most where there is clutching and grabbing and very few stoppages and its low scoring. It;s awesome that way. lots of suspense. Most people just need to see playoff Hockey and they are converted.

My suggestion for changes would be to play fewer games. How awesome was that 48 game season? I thought it was great. Almost every game had that playoff feel and intensity.

I may puke if I ever see a stoppage and a penalty for a blocked shot. I couldn't dislike that idea more....I'm already preparing to puke when I first see a coaches challenge in hockey. Why does every league feel the need to copy the NFL with this rule? Just play the game.

I can get on board with smaller goalie equipment: protective gear only makes sense to me. Maybe a full two minutes for very violent penalties would make sense and be fun too.

Banned

Why would you puke with a coach's challenge? That should have been put in years ago. There's too many dumb decision, and biased referees (Montreal refs for one), not to have at least one challenge

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
    I'm pretty happy with Hockey as it is.
    Me too. I said that in the OP. These aren't drastic changes.
    I may puke if I ever see a stoppage and a penalty for a blocked shot. I couldn't dislike that idea more....
    like the zone defense in the NBA, you wouldn't see this called very much at all. You'll just see no more shot blocks and injuries.

I'm already preparing to puke when I first see a coaches challenge in hockey. Why does every league feel the need to copy the NFL with this rule? Just play the game.
    Agreed.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

100% agree that serving a full two minute penalty would increase offence.

I also like a suggestion I heard in the past about making teams do the long change twice, 1st and 3rd periods, rather than the second period. There was some fancy stats to back it up.

I would also like to see the icing rule stay in effect during a penalty. Tired penalty killers = more goals.
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I can see it now: 3 mins left in a big game, score is 3-2. Losing team generates a good shot but a d-man leaves his feet to make an amazing game saving block. The crowd goes wild as this was one of the more entertaining plays of the game and was made at a critical juncture but, a penalty is called. Did he leave his feet though? The coach throws a challenge flag (or whatever silly protocol the NHL comes up with...octopus?)K, we're in Detroit so coach throws a challenge octopus: It's hard to tell but after 5-10mins Toronto decides his knee did in fact touch the ice so it's a penalty after all. All that energy in the room has now been sucked up in a puff of bureaucracy.

Or...same scenario: Crowd goes wild and....play continues! The tired d-men let up 2-3 more chances in the resulting chaos, or alternatively, they could heroically clear the puck out of their zone. It's all good to me as long as play continues and energy in the arena keeps snowballing. That's how you sell the DVDs.

Point on blocking: It's just one more thing you can't do, ANOTHER rule to muddy up a simple game.

Point on coaches challenges: (sorry I know its kind of off topic) That stuff belongs in football where stoppages of play are constant and natural.

My opinion is that Hockey is chalk full of grey areas and requires a light touch to keep its flow. Let's not legislate the fun out of a beautifully simple game.

I've said more than my share now but I'll continue to read if others post their opinions. Thanks for starting the conversation Dobber! I agree with all the more subtle rule changes you put forth. Thanks for listening y'all.