Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Draft : The Big Boys

Dobber Sports Pro

Default 2015 Draft : The Big Boys

In a muti-cat keeper league, who do you like out of the big forwards who will go in the first round: Svechnikov, Meier, Rantanen, Crouse, and Zacha?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: 2015 Draft : The Big Boys

Rantanen
    Zacha
    Meier
    Svechnikov
    Crouse
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Im no expert, but IMO
    Rantanen
    --gap--
    Meier
    Svetchnikov
    Zacha
    -gap-
    Crouse

I think Rantanen is clearly the top dog. Then there is a bit of a gap and the next 3 are close and could be interchangeable. Then I think another gap (a pretty big one imo) then Crouse. Not to say he's not good, but I don't think he has the same Goal and especially point upside as the others.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks for the input. I have the #8 pick in one of my leagues and I'd rather not pick a d-man so early. It will be interesting to see who goes for picks 3-7. I assume that Strome and Marner (or Marner and Strome) will go 3-4, then after that who knows?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Thanks for the input. I have the #8 pick in one of my leagues and I'd rather not pick a d-man so early. It will be interesting to see who goes for picks 3-7. I assume that Strome and Marner (or Marner and Strome) will go 3-4, then after that who knows?
    If available, I would take Rantanen or Zacha at #8 for sure. Not so sure about the other 3 you mentioned.

Dobber Sports Titan

I think Zacha will do very well if his shoulder is 100% and he didn’t push through it too much. He played only 37 of 68 games because of 2 suspensions, the injury, and the WJC. 34pts in 37games is pretty solid considering he was on and off the ice a lot this yr. His greatest aspect is his speed, stick handling, and shot. He is a “Shoot first” thinker, so even though he is a center, he may be better set as a winger, because he has shown what he can do when passed too. Dude’s got a wicked onetimer. I don’t think he’ll fair too well as a center off the bat because his defense (like most young forwards) is shotty.

He uses his size to dominate players and muscle around them until he gets the look he wants; either that be shooting (most likely) or passing (which he can do unlike some young snipers). He doesn’t drive to the net as much as he should, but loves to be aggressive (2 suspensions for plays), he loves those greasy areas and doesn’t rely on other players to go get the puck for him.

NEGATIVES NOW:
    He doesn’t play well without the puck. Defense is shotty, and his limited defensive instincts are raising questions on if he’ll be able to hold a spot on a team in the NHL right away. His obvious recklessness apparent from his 2 suspensions (slew foot and illegal hits) in a draft yr are not good signs.

He’s got speed, an elite shot, hands, and a body to boot. His style does not 100% reflect Ovi, but he has the same attributes I think he does, but maybe just not at the same level.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos_h264h...i1SqIinOtmT_aX

I’m not sure how to embed a video, but here’s a clip at Zacha’s hands. He may not be the hit, block, and points guy. But I think he’ll be a solid points guy who actually contributes to the periphs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Im in a similar position but I have a slightly earlier pick and the 8th. I think I can get 2 of them if I want, but I also throw a Barzal into the mix..
    But in relation to your question, personally, I would probably go Rantanen + Meier. I think Zacha has the higher upside between himself and Meier but something about Zacha just screams potential bust to me

Dobber Sports Stud

Rantanen
    Meier
    Crouse
    Svechnikov
    Zacha

While I like all 5, Zacha is very much boom/bust and for that reason he slides a bit in my books. Depending on your risk tolerance, I'd slot him in before Crouse and after Meier.

Dobber Sports Guru

I have two answers to this.

answer 1: safe pick
    Crouse, then Rantanen

answer 2: gambling pick
    Zacha, then Schechnikov

Sometimes the safe pick is the right one, but you'll be burned every now and then.

Dobber Sports Giant

As another poster said, I would be targeting Barzal before any of these guys. Kid has an unreal hockey IQ, and is probably the most "complete" high-end F after McDavid and Eichel.

As for the guys you've listed, I would rank them:

Zacha
    Rantanen
    Meier
    Crouse
    Svechnikov

I don't think Crouse is getting enough love in the Top10, but really I like all these guys a whole lot. Svechnikov being last on my list is not a reflection on his talent. I would say after Zacha/Rantanen there is somewhat of a gap, then Meier, slight gap, then Crouse and Svechnikov.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    As another poster said, I would be targeting Barzal before any of these guys. Kid has an unreal hockey IQ, and is probably the most "complete" high-end F after McDavid and Eichel.
    I assumed that Barzal would not be there at #8. It may depend on how many d-men go in the top 7.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post

As for the guys you've listed, I would rank them:

Zacha
    Rantanen
    Meier
    Crouse
    Svechnikov

I don't think Crouse is getting enough love in the Top10, but really I like all these guys a whole lot. Svechnikov being last on my list is not a reflection on his talent. I would say after Zacha/Rantanen there is somewhat of a gap, then Meier, slight gap, then Crouse and Svechnikov.
    Agree with every sentence here - starting with Barzal and ending with Svechnikov. +1
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow I'm a big Crouse fan, but am the first to admit I watch very very little junior......am I way off here?
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Rantanen
    Zacha
    Meier
    Svechnikov
    Crouse
    agreed. but all 5 of these guys are gonna be awesome.