Thread: Do the Jays part with a good prospect for J.P.?

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Do the Jays part with a good prospect for J.P.?

Let's face it their window is closing. They need a closer and the East is ripe for the taking.

HardballTalk – ‏@HardballTalk

Phillies “engaged in recent trade discussions” with Cubs, Blue Jays on Jonathan*Papelbon http://wp.me/p14QSL-2mZM

Also from Ken Rosenthal:

https://m.facebook.com/kenrosenthals...60279354037797

Here's a portion:

The trade talks hinge on a sliding scale. The Phillies are willing to pay a large percentage of Papelbon’s remaining money to land better prospects. The Jays and Cubs want to pay as little as possible in both dollars and players.
    Here, according to sources, is where the conversations stand:
    The most recent talks between the Phillies and Jays were late last week. Since then, the Phils have increased their scouting of the Jays’ minor-league affiliates, trying to identify players they might want in a trade.
    Papelbon, 34, has a limited no-trade clause that allows him to block a deal to the Blue Jays, but the Jays do not believe that would be an issue.
    “Yes, Toronto interests me – if it interests (Phillies general manager) Ruben (Amaro Jr.),” Papelbon told CSNPhilly.com in spring training. “I know some of the guys on their coaching staff. They’re a good team. If Ruben can do a deal with them, I’d be interested.”

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Do the Jays part with a good prospect for J.P.?

Its sounds like Pimplebon is keen to the idea of playing in Toronto.. I just want them to get a closer that is dominant!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd like Papelbum in Toronto if the price was right.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Personally I think he's in decline. Yes he's posting solid #s in in the NL but I'm concerned it doesn't translate over here. Guess it depends on $$$ & type of prospect....

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan321 View Post
    Personally I think he's in decline. Yes he's posting solid #s in in the NL but I'm concerned it doesn't translate over here. Guess it depends on $$$ & type of prospect....
    Well yes, he's on the decline, but he's still a better closer than the Jays have right now and their window for winning isn't large.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would rather them make a move for bullpen arms (not necessarily a closer). Acquiring JP would command a nice prospect, like a Norris. If a closer makes them a World Series contender, go for it. If not, pass and look for help elsewhere

Dobber Sports Titan

With the lowest amount of money in the MLB dedicated to the bullpen, I’d take on his whole contract and give up less in prospects. The two highest salaried bullpens last yr were the two teams that got to the World Series. The idea of having a closer 80% of the games played helps out a lot. Cecil and Pape work as closers, Osuna and Cecil (when not closing) works as the setups, Loup, Hendricks, Delabar, work as the MRP, and Tepera or Bo working as the scrap.

I think this team needs a guy you can toss out on the mound and not be worried about losing a game within 3runs. With Cecil as a closer, I am always worried. However, the Jays have lost a lot of 1run games (I think most in the Majors, if not they’re up there), so how many of those were by poor starting pitching or poor closing pitching? Our SP had a terrible time for a 10-15game run, now that they are playing to what we expected, you can see the change in the record. You can write off the Marlins, but taking 5/6 from the Twins and Astros is solid.

Right now, this is the team I was expecting the Jays to be; good SP, great bats, alright relief. If we get a closer, obviously I want the least going from the team, so take on the contract. Also would help my fantasy team a fair bit
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Don't quote me on this, but Toronto have been in approximately six save situations all season.

While a bullpen and closer are extremely important. This team will live and die with their offense and only go as far as it'll take them.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by NAParker77 View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but Toronto have been in approximately six save situations all season.

While a bullpen and closer are extremely important. This team will live and die with their offense and only go as far as it'll take them.
    Here’s the article I think you read: http://www.thestar.com/sports/blueja...s-griffin.html

“The Blue Jays have played 34 straight games without recording a save, including 18 wins since May 4. The Jays have won a total of 31 games for the season. Basic math: With just four of those being complete games, that leaves 27 other victories, with only six of those capped by bullpen saves.”

Dobber Sports Expert

Blue Jays closing in on Papelbon?

With rumours heating up that Toronto is in talks with the Phillies about possibly acquiring Jonathan Papelbon, Blue Jays president and CEO Paul Beeston hints that something might be in the works, while reliever Liam Hendriks says he would be happy to welcome the veteran closer to the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/blue-jays-cl...elbon-1.305637

Administrator

Papelbon is having his best season since his last year in Boston, which is good but I'd prefer to see the bullpen woes addressed by adding a capable starter and getting Sanchez into the bullpen. I'd much rather see them get Hamels than Papelbon but that may not be a realistic option.

If the Phillies eat money and the Jays don't have to part with much then I wouldn't be entirely dissatisfied with the acquisition.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Titan

Sanchez has like a 2.18ERA over his last 3 starts. He’s going to have a bumpy road because he’s young, but he’s done well. To begin the season when Stroman was still available I was hoping for Sanchez to come out of the bullpen, but he’s shown he’s a starter. He’ll have his hiccups obviously, but the physical salary difference between Sanchez, Papelbon, and Hamels is massive. Hamels is 23.5mill a yr till 2019. Sanchez is 0.51mill a year till I don’t know when.

I would like Sanchez in the rotation still, but have another pitcher (Hamels or whoever) come and take Estrada’s postion.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like the idea of adding another starter and moving Sanchez to the closer role. The guy is no doubt a starter in this league. But you can conserve his arm and fill in a weakness at the same time. If AA has to move prospects, I'd rather them be for a starter

Dobber Sports Veteran

There's no point in acquiring Papelbon. Over the last 30 days, the Jays have zero saves. Their need isn't so much for a closer, but for quality bullpen arms.

Not to mention a truce ace.
    Twitter: @jasonang00

Dobber Sports Expert

I actually think this bullpen is better then its shown. Yes I'd love to add another arm but no rush.
    One thing about adding a proven closer like JP though it makes all the other guys better. Boosts everyone's confidence. And players see mgmt wants to win unlike last years trade deadline.