Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: It's the THINGS THAT IRK YOU thread - not hockey related

Administrator

Default Re: It's the THINGS THAT IRK YOU thread - not hockey related

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    How about when bartenders/servers expect a tip when service was bad? I was out last night and our serve was bad. I was with a bunch of people and she skipped my order, then when she took it once she came back with the drinks, she forgot my drink, then got my order wrong. Because it was late at night when we ordered they wanted our credit card or something, I didn’t care about that, but she brought me the wrong card 4 times before she got it right. I didn’t leave a tip and I got the snarkiest look ever from her.

Do your job well and I will tip you. Do it wrong and I will not. Honestly the whole tipping system is dumb. You don't go into a clothing store and tip a guy for helping you out...
    This is the attitude globally. It switched from tips rewarding good service to tips being customary. Personally I hate it because if everyone gets tips by default it takes away the incentive to try hard.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports All-Star

It irks me when people don't take responsibility or accountability for their actions and try to blame someone else.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    This is the attitude globally. It switched from tips rewarding good service to tips being customary. Personally I hate it because if everyone gets tips by default it takes away the incentive to try hard.
    Let's put some of the blame one a wage system that allows for servers to be paid less than minimum wage... I agree you should earn a tip, but I don't know that having someone's ability to pay rent being tied to the tips is a healthy thing.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

The Great One

So Im from a relatively small city (Thunder Bay 100kish)- but theres something Ive never seen here that I saw both in Van and Winterpeg and it drives me absolutely ballistic.

The Y line phenomenon.

It goes like this- youre standing in line- say at a Costco sample booth- but realistically Ive seen it everywhere. The line is straight, focused- everyone knows there place in the universe and all is well. Then some total D-bag shimmies in either beside or ahead of you at this awkward 45 degree angle. In essence they have created a separate line (2 lines!)- after the initial 3 -5 people of normal, proper, upstanding line participants. This inevitably sets off an even shittier chain of events as people start to inexplicably line up behind this person.

Ive only ever seen it in big cities but it drives me bananas. What is the logic??? These people must know the douche baggery involved?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The phenomenal success of the Kardashians.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Let's put some of the blame one a wage system that allows for servers to be paid less than minimum wage... I agree you should earn a tip, but I don't know that having someone's ability to pay rent being tied to the tips is a healthy thing.
    Entirely different issue but I agree with you 100% on this. Everyone should get minimum wage otherwise it's not minimum wage.

Dobber Sports Icon

Entirely different issue but I agree with you 100% on this. Everyone should get minimum wage otherwise it's not minimum wage.
    I've heard some restaurant owners/mgmt say "If you can't afford to tip well, don't go out to eat."

Well, shit - if you can't afford to pay your employees a living wage, don't open a business.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Well, shit - if you can't afford to pay your employees a living wage, don't open a business.
    Most can afford it but choose not to because they can get away with it.

Dobber Sports Sage

A couple things I have seen while on vacation.

If you own a Jeep Liberty you shouldn't have the spare tire cover that says "It's a Jeep thing." That's not really what the expression means.

Since last Friday there has been a nice bassboat sitting out on a driveway uncovered. It's a 30K or so boat. How do you just leave it sitting there in the rain and in the sun? After complaining about it a couple times my wife called me a "Boat Nazi."
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Star

This is the attitude globally.
    Nope, not globally. In many parts of the world tipping is nowhere near expected and certainly not customary. Every country I've been to in Europe, same with Asia, New Zealand... Tipping isn't even a thing in a lot of these places. Seems to me this is a very American (and therefor also Canadian) problem.

The sob story that servers need to make a living is also insane. I worked in that industry for years and most servers make an absolute killing. A terrible day for a terrible waitress in a terrible breakfast restaurant I worked in was $80 in tips, or an extra $10 an hour. Cry me a river. 99% of them also have the nerve to whine to the kitchen staff about it, and there ain't much for tips for those guys I can tell you that much. I can't stand when my 10% tip to a shitty server earns me a dirty look. Entitled ****s, where is the justice?

Who devised this system of some people getting tipped for their work while others don't? The whole thing is madness and needs to die.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Nope, not globally.
    You're right, I used the wrong word.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    This irks me to no end. As a business owner you need to take care of your employees. I cannot believe that someone can get paid below minimum wage. The whole tipping culture needs to get kicked. Wait staff in New Zealand (where I am living now) make a fair wage and businesses here "miraculously" survive and sometimes flourish. Giving someone less than minimum wage is leveraging a power relationship. People need work, so they will put up with it, but at the end of the day it is exploitation.

Dobber Sports Master

I came here to talk about another thing that irks me. If you are driving a car, you should know where you are going. If you know where you are going, you should be in the right lane for exits, turns, etc... Don't cut me off b/c you haven't thought about what lane you should be in a half a mile before now.

Dobber Sports Padawan

People who say "Right?" as a way to agree with something.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I've heard some restaurant owners/mgmt say "If you can't afford to tip well, don't go out to eat."

Very well said.