Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9 49 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast

Thread: It's the THINGS THAT IRK YOU thread - not hockey related

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: It's the THINGS THAT IRK YOU thread - not hockey related

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    This guy sets a new winnings record on jeopardy every day... and I can't answer a single $200 question.
    Two things that bug me about the guy

1) that he keeps changing the category. He rolls threw all the highest dollar answers first. It makes it hard for opponents to get on a thought process on the category.

2) that when he gets the daily double he bets completely random numbers. like 23,147. why not just risk 23,000 even haha. Maybe a bit of my OCD kicking in here!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Two things that bug me about the guy

1) that he keeps changing the category. He rolls threw all the highest dollar answers first. It makes it hard for opponents to get on a thought process on the category.

2) that when he gets the daily double he bets completely random numbers. like 23,147. why not just risk 23,000 even haha. Maybe a bit of my OCD kicking in here!
    It's a maximizing strategy by taking the highest dollar amounts first. It does a couple things

1. Gives him immediate bank
    2. intimidates his opponents
    3. allows him to bet more on daily doubles

As far as the random $ amounts. That's just him having a bit of fun.

I mean, he's a professional sports better. What would one expect?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

It's a maximizing strategy by taking the highest dollar amounts first. It does a couple things

Yeah, i totally understand the strategy... it just irks me. When I playing along and trying to get the right answers, its more difficult when he starts at the bottom and when he is switching categories every question. haha
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Jedi

Yeah, i totally understand the strategy... it just irks me. When I playing along and trying to get the right answers, its more difficult when he starts at the bottom and when he is switching categories every question. haha
    what should irk you is that no one has done it to this degree before. 5min into the game the other two already feel like they've lost

what should irk you is that no one has done it to this degree before. 5min into the game the other two already feel like they've lost
    haha... i don't care who wins or loses the game... I care about getting as many questions right myself... and its hard to get in a rhythm the way he is all over the board!

​​

Dobber Sports Superstar

It also maximises his chances of finding the daily doubles while in control of the board. Daily Doubles are never found in the top row and rarely in the second row, if he asks for a clue in the first 2 rows he is risking losing control of the board to an opponent who will then control the board and find the daily double. Daily Doubles are most often found in the 4th row (3rd and 5th are neck-and-neck for 2nd). Picking a clue in the first 2 rows of the board while a daily double is on the board is a mistake as far as game play goes.

https://flowingdata.com/2015/03/03/w...daily-doubles/

Also, love this guy and how he plays the game. Nothing infuriates me more than players who are dominating the game and risk a rather small amount on a daily double and then crush said question.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    It also maximises his chances of finding the daily doubles while in control of the board. Daily Doubles are never found in the top row and rarely in the second row, if he asks for a clue in the first 2 rows he is risking losing control of the board to an opponent who will then control the board and find the daily double. Daily Doubles are most often found in the 4th row (3rd and 5th are neck-and-neck for 2nd). Picking a clue in the first 2 rows of the board while a daily double is on the board is a mistake as far as game play goes.

https://flowingdata.com/2015/03/03/w...daily-doubles/

Also, love this guy and how he plays the game. Nothing infuriates me more than players who are dominating the game and risk a rather small amount on a daily double and then crush said question.
    Question in regards to this guy and a interesting fact that I heard. I heard that game-show winners in the states are required to pay the taxes on the winnings before receiving the prize. I heard this when a contestant on The Price is Right won a trip to Winnipeg and they decided to decline because of having to pay the upfront taxes on it.

Will this individual be able to use the cash winnings to pay the taxes? Or does he have to be in a situation where he can pay the taxes before he receives his million + dollars? I assume that for cash prizes they would just deduct the tax and give the contestant the remaining amount.

​​

Dobber Sports Veteran

My understanding was that, in the U.S, prizes value are considered income and the taxes come from that. I could definitely be wrong but I thought he turned down the trip to Winnipeg just because it wasn't a free trip if he has to pay taxes for it and he wasn't interested in paying to visit Winnipeg.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    My understanding was that, in the U.S, prizes value are considered income and the taxes come from that. I could definitely be wrong but I thought he turned down the trip to Winnipeg just because it wasn't a free trip if he has to pay taxes for it and he wasn't interested in paying to visit Winnipeg.
    Is anybody interested in paying to visit Winnipeg?
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Uh, nope. Hard pass.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Us small town Manitoba people pay to visit Winnipeg. Haha

Dobber Sports Jedi

Us small town Manitoba people pay to visit Winnipeg. Haha
    Would you pay to visit Regina? (maybe that's a better comparison for our MB residents)

Anti-vaccination...

Just heard there is a reported case in Winnipeg.

Dobber Sports Veteran

People using their own nicknames for players, then you have to Sherlock your way To figuring out who the heck they are talking about.

Dobber Sports Master

I almost bought tix to go see metallica either last year or year before in the peg but I didnt think my lower back could survive the road trip home to northern ont . It would have amounted to 2 days of 700+ km's to get there with one day dedicated to some sight seeing + concert then 2 days of 700+ km's on the way back - ouch.

my old job took me as far as the eastern outskirts of Thunder Bay so the T-Bay to Peg leg of the trip would have been new scenery so maybe that would have been sort of interesting