Thread: 5 Potential Phil Kessel Destinaions

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default 5 Potential Phil Kessel Destinaions

As I suggested in my last post, it’d be nice to keep him, but if you can’t trade your youth or your draft picks (which, clearly, the Leafs cannot) and your salary cap is not in very good shape (which the Leafs’ isn’t) how exactly do you improve what is, even with a miracle-working coach, a team that can hope for 8th place in a best-case-scenario?

The fact is – and I’ve tried to think through every situation – there is no logical argument for keeping Kessel, since he’s expensive, and by the time the Leafs can hope to compete, he’ll be in his thirties. Also, if they keep him, they’re better in the short term and thus drafting higher and only delaying how long it will take to improve.So, being that I think the Leafs have to trade him, here is a hypothetical, just for fun, list of potential trades. These are not trade rumours. I cannot stress that enough

To Continue Reading click here: Just for fun on a Monday, the Top Five Phil Kessel Trade Scenarios.

http://thehockeywriters.com/five-pot...-destinations/

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: 5 Potential Phil Kessel Destinaions

Quote Originally Posted by James_tanner123 View Post
    As I suggested in my last post, it’d be nice to keep him, but if you can’t trade your youth or your draft picks (which, clearly, the Leafs cannot) and your salary cap is not in very good shape (which the Leafs’ isn’t) how exactly do you improve what is, even with a miracle-working coach, a team that can hope for 8th place in a best-case-scenario?

The fact is – and I’ve tried to think through every situation – there is no logical argument for keeping Kessel, since he’s expensive, and by the time the Leafs can hope to compete, he’ll be in his thirties. Also, if they keep him, they’re better in the short term and thus drafting higher and only delaying how long it will take to improve.So, being that I think the Leafs have to trade him, here is a hypothetical, just for fun, list of potential trades. These are not trade rumours. I cannot stress that enough

To Continue Reading click here: Just for fun on a Monday, the Top Five Phil Kessel Trade Scenarios.

http://thehockeywriters.com/five-pot...-destinations/
    Interesting read and always fun to spitball.

I think you're off your rocker with the Philly offer. That one doesn't seem close to me. Needs another high pick and descent prospect to be worthwhile in my opinion.

I like the others more though, some descent thoughts there.
    - I don't see the Montreal one ever coming to fruition, but that is closer to the type of return I think the Leafs would want.
    - The Hurricanes are pretty intruiging. Some good pieces there, and I agree that it's likely too much and they'd have to work on more.
    - I would want more from Florida than Huberdeau because Kessel is established. Another pick or prospect.
    - Agree with the Edmonton offer too being win-win, I just think that they have much more pressing needs on Defense they need to address before adding a goaltender and another scoring winger. I mean, they had Dubnyk and gave up on him and we've seen what he can do when he has a competent defense to play behind. I think that's where they need to look first and foremost.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Fun to speculate for sure. I think you are right to say the contract isn't that bad but it does mean that he won't fit under many team's cap, no matter what they think of the player.

Dobber Sports Guru

A Leafs fan I work with said he would take Gallagher, the Habs first round pick and Tinordi or Beaulieu for Kessel. Not far off from your projection, but I can't see the Habs giving up Galchenyuk right now.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Some good points. It's interesting, the Leafs fans keep telling me that I'm not asking for enough, but the other teams are ripping me. I'd honestely be OK with a straight up Kessel for Couturier, Staal, Huberdeau, or Draisiatl.....Maybe Gallager and Galchenyuk is a bit high.....but I sure wouldn't want Tinordi. Ever. Might as well just call the Ducks and get Holzer back haha.