Thread: The Pros and Cons of New Flyers Coach Dave Hakstol

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default The Pros and Cons of New Flyers Coach Dave Hakstol

Since being introduced as the 19th head coach in Flyers history, Dave Hakstol has been the toast of the town. The 46-year-old bench general has been praised for his 289-141-43 record at the University of North Dakota, on top of playing a pivotal role in the development of several current NHL stars, such as Jonathan Toews and T.J. Oshie, among others.
    With Philadelphia’s up-and-coming prospects serving as the focal point of Hextall’s blueprint, it’s clear how Hakstol fits into that plan right off the bat......

To read more, visit http://goo.gl/sh5CfY

My take is that the Hakstol hire is a culmination of things. It was different, somewhat surprising, risky to a degree, and one that demonstrates a sound plan. The Flyers may not have all the pieces in place to accurately pull off Hakstol's system, but that very system will win them more games next season.

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of New Flyers Coach Dave Hakstol

Nice article, Andy. You make some very valid points and I happen to agree with a lot of what you presented.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Deity

Good write up. Interesting Babcock comparisons and some excellent points there.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks, guys. I'm happy you two enjoyed it. Do either of you have anything to add, or discuss?

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    Thanks, guys. I'm happy you two enjoyed it. Do either of you have anything to add, or discuss?
    We'll I admittedly haven't seen many Sioux games so I would love a real in-depth breakdown of his style and system. I keep hearing "intense", "hardworking" and "likes to have D get involved" but that's fairly generic.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    We'll I admittedly haven't seen many Sioux games so I would love a real in-depth breakdown of his style and system. I keep hearing "intense", "hardworking" and "likes to have D get involved" but that's fairly generic.
    That's fair of you. I think there's a vast majority that fall in the same boat to no fault of their own.

The hire does have other implications not mentioned in the piece. Vinny Lecavalier's role, what they'll end up doing with Brayden Schenn, and other stuff like that are things I'd love to hear your opinions on.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    That's fair of you. I think there's a vast majority that fall in the same boat to no fault of their own.

The hire does have other implications not mentioned in the piece. Vinny Lecavalier's role, what they'll end up doing with Brayden Schenn, and other stuff like that are things I'd love to hear your opinions on.
    From what I understand, the Flyers need to pay Lecavalier a $2 million signing bonus on July 1st, but on July 2nd, he and the team could agree to mutually terminate his existing contract. Then he is free to sign with any team of his choice and the Flyers get out from under his remaining salary and cap hit. There has been some speculation he would consider this because:

A. He is unhappy in Philadelphia. And according to Hextall, the recent hire of Hakstol doesn't change the fact that the situation is not good for both Vinny and the club.

B. The remaining hard cash on his deal (after the $2 million bonus) isn't a huge amount of money - he could sign a new deal (with new terms) with a club of his choice and most likely make the same amount of "actually money."

As for B.Schenn, I'm not sure. Hakstol said he would get to work studying the players. So I'm sure he's going to be in lock-down, reviewing hours and hours of game tape... and part of that will be seeing how to best utilize a player like Schenn. I still think Hextall is in the market for a true LW.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Prodigy

From what I understand, the Flyers need to pay Lecavalier a $2 million signing bonus on July 1st, but on July 2nd, he and the team could agree to mutually terminate his existing contract. Then he is free to sign with any team of his choice and the Flyers get out from under his remaining salary and cap hit. There has been some speculation he would consider this because:

A. He is unhappy in Philadelphia. And according to Hextall, the recent hire of Hakstol doesn't change the fact that the situation is not good for both Vinny and the club.

B. The remaining hard cash on his deal (after the $2 million bonus) isn't a huge amount of money - he could sign a new deal (with new terms) with a club of his choice and most likely make the same amount of "actually money."

As for B.Schenn, I'm not sure. Hakstol said he would get to work studying the players. So I'm sure he's going to be in lock-down, reviewing hours and hours of game tape... and part of that will be seeing how to best utilize a player like Schenn. I still think Hextall is in the market for a true LW.
    I could see the two sides agree to part when it comes to Lecavalier. It's a shame because he's such a respected person, but an evil necessary nonetheless. It makes sense for Hextall to wait it out, as that's his best option. The others would be either to trade him for next to nothing, while eating a portion of his salary, or keep forcing the square peg into the circular hole.

Dobber Sports Legend

Does anyone know how many years Hakstol is signed for?
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Sophomore

It's true, Hakstol is a no nonsense coach that preaches skating, hard work, accountability. No one is bigger than the program. His practices are intense and they're done with a lot of speed and tempo. His assistants at UND were also very good as well.

Dobber Sports Master

refreshing to see the flyers go with a new approach rather than a recycled vet .

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    refreshing to see the flyers go with a new approach rather than a recycled vet .
    This x10
    8-GM / WK-H2H