Thread: Oilers sign undrafted Finnish standout goalie to ELC

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Oilers sign undrafted Finnish standout goalie to ELC

Can't say I have ever heard of him but there seems to be rave reviews about the kid online.

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/s...40959302365184

#Oilers agree to terms with goaltender Eetu Laurikainen on a two-year entry level contract.
    https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/s...43056257228800

Laurikainen, formerly of the @SCBroncos, played for Finland at 2013 World Juniors | READ > http://ow.ly/MR5UW
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Oilers sign undrafted Finnish standout goalie to ELC

Laurikainen was not great during his junior years, that's probably why he went undrafted. He had two good but not great seasons in WHL but he was already 19 when he started playing there. This season, he surprisingly stole the starting job in Espoo Blues in the top Finnish league, and he was amazing. One of the best goalies in the league. That was very unexpected, so it will be very interesting to see how his next season goes. Was it a fluke season or is he for real? I'm not even going to guess because I can never predict goalies.

He's not the biggest guy out there (6'0") but still only 22 years old, so worth a shot for sure.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Laurikainen was not great during his junior years, that's probably why he went undrafted. He had two good but not great seasons in WHL but he was already 19 when he started playing there. This season, he surprisingly stole the starting job in Espoo Blues in the top Finnish league, and he was amazing. One of the best goalies in the league. That was very unexpected, so it will be very interesting to see how his next season goes. Was it a fluke season or is he for real? I'm not even going to guess because I can never predict goalies.

He's not the biggest guy out there (6'0") but still only 22 years old, so worth a shot for sure.
    I was hoping you would chime in and offer some background on the guy Jouko-Pouko.

From what I am reading, the Oilers plan on starting him out in the ECHL and hoping he can battle Broissot for some playing time in the AHL. He's obviously a bit of an NHL project but they are hoping they have found some sort of lightning in a bottle here. They need young goalie depth in their system and hopefully he can bring just that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I was hoping you would chime in and offer some background on the guy Jouko-Pouko.

From what I am reading, the Oilers plan on starting him out in the ECHL and hoping he can battle Broissot for some playing time in the AHL. He's obviously a bit of an NHL project but they are hoping they have found some sort of lightning in a bottle here. They need young goalie depth in their system and hopefully he can bring just that.
    ECHL is a good place to start but I believe he won't stay there for long; either he proves he's good enough to play in the AHL or he comes back to Europe. At least 2-3 years of development is needed for sure, possibly much more than that.

Administrator

Who needs Malcolm Subban???

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Who needs Malcolm Subban???
    Boston does! With Svedberg gone, the Bruins are in the market for a back up goalie for next season unless they think Jeremy Smith is the answer.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Boston does! With Svedberg gone, the Bruins are in the market for a back up goalie for next season unless they think Jeremy Smith is the answer.
    I was referring to the bogus rumor of him going to Edmonton just because Chiarelli is there.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust