Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa's goalie log jam

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Ottawa's goalie log jam

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Why would the Sens pass on 23 year old Lehner (and the investment they have already made in him) for Hammond, who apart from a 24 game run has had very pedestrian stats since his days in the BCHL?
    I'm going to answer my own question. LOL.

Viktor Fasth: 2014-Mar-04 Traded from Anaheim Ducks to Edmonton Oilers for round 5 pick in the 2014 draft (Matthew Berkovitz) and round 3 pick in the 2015 draft
    Ben Scrives: 2014-Jan-15 Traded from Los Angeles Kings to Edmonton Oilers for round 3 pick in the 2014 draft (Dominic Turgeon)
    Devan Dubnuk: 2015-Jan-14 Traded from Arizona Coyotes to Minnesota Wild for round 3 pick in the 2015 draft
    Jaroslav Halak: 2014-May-01 Traded from Washington Capitals to New York Islanders for round 4 pick in the 2014 draft (Igor Shesterkin)
    Craig Anderson: 2011-Feb-18 Traded from Colorado Avalanche to Ottawa Senators for Brian Elliott
    Ben Bishop: 2013-Apr-03 Traded from Ottawa Senators to Tampa Bay Lightning for Cory Conacher and round 4 pick in the 2013 draft (Tobias Lindberg)
    Steve Mason: 2013-Apr-03 Traded from Columbus Blue Jackets to Philadelphia Flyers for Mike Leighton and round 3 pick in the 2015 draft
    Sergei Bobrovsky: 2012-Jun-22 Traded from Philadelphia Flyers to Columbus Blue Jackets for round 2 pick in the 2012 draft (Anthony Stolarz), round 4 pick in the 2012 draft (Taylor Leier) and round 4 pick in the 2013 draft (Justin Auger)

If you trade Lerner (or Anderson) you are looking for a return somewhere in the range above. Let's say (best case scenario) you get a low second round pick and a fifth rounder what does this really do for your team.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Stud

So Anderson is worth Oshie or a 1st? In what world? Luongo got dealt one year ago for markstrom and Shawn Mathias......

Goalies are worth nearly nothing in today's NHL.....the market is what it is guys
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

The Great One

You can`t compare Luongo to any of Ottawa`s goalies; Luongo`s contract sucks and severely deflates his trade value.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Why can't a team have more than one good goalie? I just don't see the narrow logic expressed in some of these posts. Why do they have to move anybody?

- Anderson is signed for 3 more years at a reasonable cap-hit to be the anchor member of a 1A/B tandem.
    - Lehner may seem like he has been around forever but he is only 23(!). He is signed at a reasonable cap hit for 2 more years and then he is still a RFA when his contract is up/.
    - O'Connor needs to develop in the minors. You know it, I know it, Ottawa knows it and he knows it. Binghamton bound.
    - Hammond is a UFA and there is no expectation that he has to choose Ottawa. Ottawa should/will offer him a 2-way deal just like he had. If Hammond's agent finds him a 1 year one-way NHL deal he will sign it as fast as he can.

Best case scenario for the Sens is Hammond cannot find a NHL exclusive deal and signs a deal with Ottawa that keeps him in the fold. Ottawa would be left with a 1A (Anderson) and three candidates for the 1B job. Lehner would be on the team based on his one-way NHL deal but will have pressure from below to improve. Hammond/O'Connor are the AHL duo and one of them should be competent to fill in in case of injury, trade or poor performance but Anderson/Lehner.

Why would the Sens pass on 23 year old Lehner (and the investment they have already made in him) for Hammond, who apart from a 24 game run has had very pedestrian stats since his days in the BCHL?
    The entire premise that Ottawa needs to trade a goalie is based on Hammond re-signing with the team, and if he does re-sign it will almost surely be a one-way contract. Brian Murray himself has stated that the team will trade a goalie now that they have signed O'Connor.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Brian Murray himself has stated that the team will trade a goalie now that they have signed O'Connor.

link?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    The entire premise that Ottawa needs to trade a goalie is based on Hammond re-signing with the team, and if he does re-sign it will almost surely be a one-way contract. Brian Murray himself has stated that the team will trade a goalie now that they have signed O'Connor.
    I don't recall Murray saying anything about the O'Connor signing and them dealing a goalie, but I did read he would be looking to move one of Lehner or Anderson after they come to a deal with Hammond.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    link?
    Living in Ottawa and following the local news closing (especially because I own Anderson in my fav keeper league), I have been following this story closely. A lot of talk was on local radio/news before the signing, but here is one article from before the signing that I recall reading.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ions-1.3056120

He (O'Connor) isn't next year's starter in the NHL, but Murray has said a goalie will be moved if O'Connor signs.
    It is definitely no secret that Murray wants to trade a goalie. Whether or not he does, is an entirely different story. Lehner's health, Hammond's potential signing, and the offers they receive are all important factors that may prevent a trade from occurring.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Banned

Yeah, Hammond will get a one-way contract from somebody, and if it's not in Ottawa then it's probably unlikely Anderson or Lehner is dealt even though I would still trade one and get a true backup goalie. Hammond can be the true backup who knows what he has to do. Lehner or Anderson can't sit cold on the bench IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    So Anderson is worth Oshie or a 1st? In what world? Luongo got dealt one year ago for markstrom and Shawn Mathias......

Goalies are worth nearly nothing in today's NHL.....the market is what it is guys
    as stated by Als_revenge, Luongo's contract is insane and Anderson's is great in dollars, term, and the fact that he doesn't have a NTC. He probalby wouldn't get an Oshie, Ottawa would have to add, but it's not like Oshie is a star or anything.

An unproven Bishop got a pretty good young player/prospect in Conacher and a pick, even though Conacher didn't pan out. And there was talk that Tim Murray chose Conacher over Tyler Johnson in that deal, so it shows a team will give up something good to get their #1 goalie. Halak got Lars Eller who is a pretty good player. Anderson should get more than what Bishop got, especially with that contract, and something near what Halak was traded for.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    An unproven Bishop got a pretty good young player/prospect in Conacher and a pick, even though Conacher didn't pan out. And there was talk that Tim Murray chose Conacher over Tyler Johnson in that deal, so it shows a team will give up something good to get their #1 goalie. Halak got Lars Eller who is a pretty good player. Anderson should get more than what Bishop got, especially with that contract, and something near what Halak was traded for.
    Its bad luck that the Bishop trade was bad for OTT on more than one front. The first front is they traded him in the first place. The second bad is they could have chosen Tyler Johnson over Conacher (if its true). Tough luck on both counts.

I think that Lars Eller is a good thing for OTT to shoot for when trading Anderson. I'd be happy with that if I were a Sens fan.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Halak wasn't even under contract in the Eller deal. A proven starter on a good contract could get even more.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Halak wasn't even under contract in the Eller deal. A proven starter on a good contract could get even more.
    Didn't remember that. Good point.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    He wasn't under contract, but he was under control as he was a restricted free agent.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Its bad luck that the Bishop trade was bad for OTT on more than one front. The first front is they traded him in the first place. The second bad is they could have chosen Tyler Johnson over Conacher (if its true). Tough luck on both counts.

I think that Lars Eller is a good thing for OTT to shoot for when trading Anderson. I'd be happy with that if I were a Sens fan.
    Meh, you can only play one goalie and he was 100% the guy to move, they weren't going to move Anderson or Lehner. Also, he was going to be a free agent. It's not like he's an elite can't miss goalie, he's a decent starter who will probably be usurped by Vasilevsky in due time.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ya, the goalie market has been so traditionally bad over the past couple of years that I wouldn't be getting my hopes up on a significant return for any goalie right now. If you are able to get a middle of the pack second line player, I think you should be ecstatic based on history.