Thread: Trading away Soler?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Trading away Soler?

I just got Soler off waivers and now I have a couple of trades for him from another GM.
    Trade 1.
    His Wacha and M. Ozuna
    For
    My Soler and Salazar.

Trade 2.
    His M. Ozuna and S. Gray
    For
    My Soler and Zimmerman (SP)

Rodon Rousey’s Slaves
    10 team Roto (Keep 7 Bolded)
    Batters: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, Avg, OPS
    Pitchers: W, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS, Sv+H
    C: McCann (1B)
    1B: Billy Butler
    2B: Jose Altuve
    3B: Josh Donaldson
    SS: Elvis Andrus
    IF: Dee Gordon
    OF (5): Stanton, Brantley, Braun, Pederson, Trumbo (1B)
    Util: Jorge Soler (OF)
    DL: Jake Lamb (3B)
    SP (3): Hamels, Zimmerman, Arrieta
    RP(2): Rondon (Cubs), K-Rod (Mil)
    P(4): Wood (SP,RP), C.Martinez (SP,RP), Archie Bradley (SP)
    BN: Papelbon (RP), Rodon (RP)

DL: Moore (SP)
    NA: Andrew Heaney (LAA-SP)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Trading away Soler?

I like Gray a lot more than I like Zimmerman and if Soler isn't a keeper then it seems like a decent upgrade.
    12 Team Keeper League. Cannot keep anyone drafted in the first 3 rounds.
    Standard Yahoo Points League, that skews more in favour of elite pitching:

Team:
    C: D. Norris; 1B: T. Frazier; 2B: D. Pedroia; 3B: M. Machado; SS: B. Crawford; OF(3): M. Brantley; A. McCutchen; J. Pederson UTIL: G. Springer (OF);

SP(3): S. Strasburg; M. Bumgarner; J. Lester
    RP (2): D. Robertson; A. Miller
    P(2): J. Axford; D. Salazar
    BN (2 of any type of player) J. Odorizzi; D. Keuchel
    DL: J. Fernandez

Dobber Sports Titan

I sent him an offer of Zimmerman+Soler for Gray+Polanco. I wanted Polanco because the guy I’m trading with is in front of me in steals, so maybe this will slow him down and allow me to catch-up.
    1st in steals (the guy I’m trading with) – 49
    2nd in steals (me) – 41
    3rd in steals – 32

My points are all in the batting category, and slim in pitching so this feels like the best thing for me.
    R HR RBI SB AVG OPS W ERA WHIP K/9 QS Sv+H
    Points 10 8 9 9 10 9 6.5 5 4 4 9 3.5
    Numbers 183 43 178 41 0.285 0.812 18 3.76 1.29 8.18 25 17

The Wolverine

Not sure this would/should change the advice but do you think you might be selling Zimmerman low and buying Gray high? Looking at their numbers so far, it's reasonable to project Zimmerman's numbers to improve and Gray's to worsen. Also, given that you are struggling in pitching I'm not sure how much of a significant improvement you'll get going forward. Of course, if you think Zimmerman will have a ho hum year and Gray joins the elite, then sure it looks good. But even just looking at ERA with Zimmerman at 4.15 and Gray at 1.67 - at what level would you expect them to finish?

From another perspective, since you got Soler off waivers and Zimmerman is struggling, I wonder if you are picking the wrong time to make the offer. If Soler was on waivers, then the other manager might not need him. And with Gray rolling, he might hesitate if he believes this will continue. However, he may think this is a good buy low / sell high.

Things to consider.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Not sure this would/should change the advice but do you think you might be selling Zimmerman low and buying Gray high? Looking at their numbers so far, it's reasonable to project Zimmerman's numbers to improve and Gray's to worsen. Also, given that you are struggling in pitching I'm not sure how much of a significant improvement you'll get going forward. Of course, if you think Zimmerman will have a ho hum year and Gray joins the elite, then sure it looks good. But even just looking at ERA with Zimmerman at 4.15 and Gray at 1.67 - at what level would you expect them to finish?

From another perspective, since you got Soler off waivers and Zimmerman is struggling, I wonder if you are picking the wrong time to make the offer. If Soler was on waivers, then the other manager might not need him. And with Gray rolling, he might hesitate if he believes this will continue. However, he may think this is a good buy low / sell high.

Things to consider.
    RE the Soler off waivers lowering his value.
    I normally don’t like trading guys I just got off waivers because it does take a shot at their value, but being in the league with a lot of friends you talk about draft picks and players. This guy wanted Soler on draft day but didn’t manage to get him. Then I sent him a text after I got Soler and he was shocked he was even on waivers, and was upset with missing him.

RE: Zimmerman vs Gray
    I’m worried he will be like his old self and get off to a slow start and then pick it up, causing him to get a pitcher that gives him a 2ERA season. Then flip side, I’m worried Gray will get on my team and pitcher 2.5ERA when I acquire him. With my team tho, I don’t think I have any pitching keepers for next season, and I was really hoping to have an off yr, so I can sell my players for assets (ie Hamels when he gets traded), but sitting in 3rd has gotten me thinking I should make the push for this yr. ARGH, this is so stuff lol. This reminds me of two hockey issues I’ve had. Buying ‘high’ on Voracek 2 yrs ago (great buy), and buying ‘high’ on Hube 2 yrs ago (not so great).

I’m also thinking about the SB category (prolly too hard). I’m giving up a guy who won’t get many SB, for a guy who will get 35+ on the season. Helping me close that gap on 1st place in steals.