Thread: Time to review every goal scored

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Time to review every goal scored

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Time to review every goal scored

The only thing worse than replay reviews are automatic replay reviews.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Grand Master

First overtime goal should have counted, second overtime goal shouldn't have counted. It's a net even. Boo hoo.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    The only thing worse than replay reviews are automatic replay reviews.
    Yeah, I'm concerned they're going to slow the game down with any changes in this direction.

On that note, what happened to the hurry up faceoffs?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Makes no sense to me. How far back are they supposed to go on a play that results in a goal? The Kucherov goal was a missed offside that eventually resulted in a goal...... What if there was 4 minutes of play with no stoppages and then a goal gets scored, should the league have to review 4 minutes of tape to make sure there was no missed calls that should have stopped play before the goal was scored?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Makes no sense to me. How far back are they supposed to go on a play that results in a goal? The Kucherov goal was a missed offside that eventually resulted in a goal...... What if there was 4 minutes of play with no stoppages and then a goal gets scored, should the league have to review 4 minutes of tape to make sure there was no missed calls that should have stopped play before the goal was scored?
    I think that they would just go back and review every potential goal.

I am ok with a review system, but don't like the idea of automatic review on every goal. I would be ok with some kind of challenge system, and possibly a review of ALL playoff OT goals.

Rylant

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I think that they would just go back and review every potential goal.

I am ok with a review system, but don't like the idea of automatic review on every goal. I would be ok with some kind of challenge system, and possibly a review of ALL playoff OT goals.

Rylant
    Even then, how far do you go back. What determines if the "missed call" impacts the goal. Missed penalties? Offsides? Glove passes? High Sticks? You can't review every goal. There's too many variables.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Even then, how far do you go back. What determines if the "missed call" impacts the goal. Missed penalties? Offsides? Glove passes? High Sticks? You can't review every goal. There's too many variables.
    If it was up to me, you would draw the line at reviewing goals, and goals only. Yes, hand passes or bad offside calls etc can all lead to goals. For me, if it isn't a goal or potential goal, don't make it reviewable.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Padawan

If it was up to me, you would draw the line at reviewing goals, and goals only. Yes, hand passes or bad offside calls etc can all lead to goals. For me, if it isn't a goal or potential goal, don't make it reviewable.

Rylan
    I'm fine with that. Reviewing every goal is fine, would slow the game down some more but most goals are definitive anyways and a review would be very quick. Not ok at all with the idea of reviewing the plays and missed calls leading to the goals as the OP has suggested.

Rylan
    They already do that...

Dobber Sports Star

There is no challenge system...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Or are you saying that a challenge system which only allows challenges of goals, isn't all that different from what we have now, since they mostly review all goals anyway?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Superstar

I've been saying for some time that I think they should review every goal immediately upon scoring and the referee and NHL central should have the power to review any potential goal (not called on the ice) at the next stoppage of play. 95+% of goals would be clearly allowable and the refs would get the go ahead to drop the puck in the amount of time it takes to line-up for the faceoff so no delay. The other 5% that require some delay it's worth it to get the call right. The NFL reviews every scoring play and there it hasn't slowed the game down noticeably. the NHL has fewer scoring plays per game than the NFL, and especially come playoff time every goal matters, take the minute and get the call right. Further, I'd prefer they fine tweak the issues that will inevitably come up during the regular season rather than implement it only for the playoffs and have some surprise pop up.

I prefer reviewing every goal to a challenge system for 3 reasons:
    1. the coach's will inevitably us stupid stall tactics like MLB managers currently; using a stall while they get their own guys to decide whether to challenge, this slows the game down and basically gives extra free challenges.
    2. It reduces the confusion on what is and is not "challengable" and avoids a situation where a coach wrongly communicates what aspect he is challenging. Every goal is reviewed against all challengable elements (my proposed ones below).
    3. A coach will challenge anything worth a review anyways. The chances of a coach requiring 2 challenges in the same game is exceptionally small, anything close gets reviewed.

I think the following elements should be review/reviewable:
    1. Did the puck cross the goal line. -call made by NHL central
    2. Was the net off its moorings. -call made by NHL central
    3. Did the puck go in before time expired.- call made by NHL central.
    4. Was the puck: kicked in, gloved in, high-sticked in, or directly off the netting and in (highly unlikely).- call made by NHL central.
    5. Was there goalie interference. - judgment call made by referee.

Things such as off-sides, too many men on the ice, puck off the netting are tougher. I originally thought that all of these should be reviewed and if that was the case then the review should go from the time the scoring team entered the zone until the goal. The more I think about it the more I think that this wouldn't be practical, it's quite possible a minor offside could reverse a goal scored two minutes later that was otherwise scored fairly, so I don't think these items should be reviewable, blown calls happen, deal with it.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

The Great One

Time from when the team that scored had possession leading up to the goal should be reviewable IMO.

How long is that usually? under 20 seconds. PP goals would be longer.