Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: MMQB

Default MMQB

The first installment of a new weekly series for Dobber Football: MMQB

Formatting issues aside (it was my first time posting an article to the site), would love to get some feedback from the Dobber community. This week and next will focus on the draft, and potential fantasy relevant prospects. During the dog days of Summer, the focus will shift from week t week, just to keep it as lively as possible during the down time. Once camp opens, obviously our focus will turn to fantasy relevant camp battles and other pertinent issues.

The purpose of the ramblings is to generate discussion. Dialogue only helps us fantasy GMs roster a better team. So let's have at it.

I hope you enjoy reading my musings as much as I love...well, musing.

Peace

Will
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: MMQB

Good writeup!

A couple things. I am sure you already know that Peter King already has a weekly thing on SI called MMQB.

Zac Stacy isn't an issue in STL anymore as he got dealt to the Jets.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Good writeup!

A couple things. I am sure you already know that Peter King already has a weekly thing on SI called MMQB.

Zac Stacy isn't an issue in STL anymore as he got dealt to the Jets.
    Yeah I thought about that, King's website is "The MMQB" but I may rephrase the title of this series just for clarity. As far as Stacy, yes, he got dealt after demanding a trade when they selected Gurley. I had to keep the article focused otherwise I could have gone on forever. So I just stuck to the rookies and possible implications of their landing spot. Nothing too in depth. Those analyses will come later. I may add a parenthetical noting his trade, thanks, Axeman!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Yeah I thought about that, King's website is "The MMQB" but I may rephrase the title of this series just for clarity. As far as Stacy, yes, he got dealt after demanding a trade when they selected Gurley. I had to keep the article focused otherwise I could have gone on forever. So I just stuck to the rookies and possible implications of their landing spot. Nothing too in depth. Those analyses will come later. I may add a parenthetical noting his trade, thanks, Axeman!
    Good stuff. I figured you knew everything I mentioned but wasn't exactly sure.

Well done though! Good read!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I...am your father.

one sec smitty, I'm fixing something (so you're not shocked it disappeard)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

There, got it in
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Thanks, Dobber, trying to upload the image of Perriman at 3am this morning - after picking up my father from the airport at 1am - was just not happening. Luckily I did figure it out. Me so smart like dat, muh-huh.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Good write up, hard to write much when there was only like 6 players taken with fantasy relevance in this yrs draft. I would like to say I don’t mind the Chicago pick. Cutler won’t win real life Football games, but he is able to guide the offense down the field (inconsistently) enough where his offensive players benefit (forte, Marshall, Bennett, and Jeffery). White loves 50/50 jump balls (Cutler’s go to for throws), he is fast (4.35/40yard dash) and has a solid vert (36” I think). With the others in the offense, I’m thinking a Mike Evans in TB season to say is his floor. Evans had VJ to ward off double teams (Jeffery to White), and an offense that threw it down the field. But White has the leg up with a capable QB. 1,000yrd 10TD yr isn’t out of reach if he lands the WR2 slot.

Also Gordon with Rivers in a PPR league should be huge. Woodhead should be RB2 and 3rd down RB but Gordon without elite speed should get a lot of dump off passes raising his PPR rank. LB should leave him more space than a typical RB just because they know they can catch him. He improved his catching game in his last yr so one can hope it translates to the NFL. His physical running game tho may be limited to goal line TD production. If (and a big if) he makes it to a RB1 (or split) he’ll do well if he catches the ball.

Agholor = Maclin. Maclin = Agholor. Aghlor drafted 20th. He’s 6’ 198lbs, and ran a 4.42/40yard dash. Maclin drafted 19th, 6’ 198lbs and ran a 4.45/40yard dash. No legit WR1 in Philly, with no legit RB1 who will steal catches and plays away like McCoy did Agholor couldn’t have gone to a better team for him. And for a receiver to go into a team with questions at QB, his actual production shouldn’t be affected too much by it, which is rare.

Curious what next Monday will be like!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Good write up, hard to write much when there was only like 6 players taken with fantasy relevance in this yrs draft. I would like to say I don’t mind the Chicago pick. Cutler won’t win real life Football games, but he is able to guide the offense down the field (inconsistently) enough where his offensive players benefit (forte, Marshall, Bennett, and Jeffery). White loves 50/50 jump balls (Cutler’s go to for throws), he is fast (4.35/40yard dash) and has a solid vert (36” I think). With the others in the offense, I’m thinking a Mike Evans in TB season to say is his floor. Evans had VJ to ward off double teams (Jeffery to White), and an offense that threw it down the field. But White has the leg up with a capable QB. 1,000yrd 10TD yr isn’t out of reach if he lands the WR2 slot.

Also Gordon with Rivers in a PPR league should be huge. Woodhead should be RB2 and 3rd down RB but Gordon without elite speed should get a lot of dump off passes raising his PPR rank. LB should leave him more space than a typical RB just because they know they can catch him. He improved his catching game in his last yr so one can hope it translates to the NFL. His physical running game tho may be limited to goal line TD production. If (and a big if) he makes it to a RB1 (or split) he’ll do well if he catches the ball.

Agholor = Maclin. Maclin = Agholor. Aghlor drafted 20th. He’s 6’ 198lbs, and ran a 4.42/40yard dash. Maclin drafted 19th, 6’ 198lbs and ran a 4.45/40yard dash. No legit WR1 in Philly, with no legit RB1 who will steal catches and plays away like McCoy did Agholor couldn’t have gone to a better team for him. And for a receiver to go into a team with questions at QB, his actual production shouldn’t be affected too much by it, which is rare.

Curious what next Monday will be like!
    Solid points 2014OG. Very nice. ...and that's what I want the MMQB to be, a discussion launching point. There are so many factors and variables that go into projecting these rooks - especially receivers. Skill set being the obvious but also where they land, depth chart, role, coaching changes etc. A great example being Antonio Brown, WR - Steelers sixth round pick who has vaulted himself into fantasy superstardom. Part skill set, part having a quarterback that improves the players around him.

For the record I don't put much stock into 40-time. Very few players actually play at their timed speed (Dorsett being an exception).
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

I only take it as a range. 4.4-4.6 isn’t anything that should break a guy kinda thing. But personally I like the traits that can’t be taught. Height for goalies in hockey, size, speed and vert in football. You can raise your vert ya, but if you naturally have springs in your legs I like that. If I was a coach/GM in football, my WR core would have been like the Bears. Tall, big guys. Get those jump balls in the corners of the end-zone. I’d also put my TE into a massive diet routine and make him workout constantly. Catch and turn and truck for 10 yards.

Next week I’d suggest players who benefitted from others being drafted. IE OL in Atlanta helping Ryan. Or Graham helping Russell Wilson (LB covering Graham opening up lanes to run. Then the obvious red zone threat). Considering there’s like 12 Mondays before the season there’s a lot to fill lol. July could be divisional articles?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

I think Gordon will eventually be a great ppr RB. But not outta the gate. He's demonstrated receiving ability, but he'll have to develop more. My main concern as far as projecting Gordon is he had numerous 60 yard runs to the outside where he went untouched. He isn't going to get that in the NFL - not to any reliable extent. So that's not to say he won't be a successful NFL RB, but you're projecting with that risk in mind.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Padawan

Nice write up. I look forward to reading what you think of the two (maybe three) rookie RB's I have sandwiched between Gurley and Gordon in my early ranks.

In the wr part, I have a similar feeling with White. He had one season if note in college and an outstanding combine. Chicago will not have the same offense in years past but garbage time stats galore are on the horizon which gives some appeal. Cooper has a much higher floor IMO and I love Parker in mia. That offense is going to be very good in a year or two. Buy Tannehill where you can.

As for Perrimen, I don't see it. I think crappy mike Wallace when I see him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    Nice write up. I look forward to reading what you think of the two (maybe three) rookie RB's I have sandwiched between Gurley and Gordon in my early ranks.

In the wr part, I have a similar feeling with White. He had one season if note in college and an outstanding combine. Chicago will not have the same offense in years past but garbage time stats galore are on the horizon which gives some appeal. Cooper has a much higher floor IMO and I love Parker in mia. That offense is going to be very good in a year or two. Buy Tannehill where you can.

As for Perrimen, I don't see it. I think crappy mike Wallace when I see him.
    TJ Yeldon? Love him.

My Perriman love is more long term. Like Moncrief in Indy.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Nice write up Bomm. Like some others have mentioned, I look forward to future installments and am particularly interested in the coming months in dissecting some of the RBs taken a bit later in the draft. After years of sitting pretty, my RB corp is getting somewhat long in the tooth and needs a bit of a youth infusion that hopefully pays dividends in a year or two (damn you Trent Richardson, and curses Saints' and Bills' brass for pooping all over my Khiry Robinson and Bryce Brown stashes!).
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Nice write up Bomm. Like some others have mentioned, I look forward to future installments and am particularly interested in the coming months in dissecting some of the RBs taken a bit later in the draft. After years of sitting pretty, my RB corp is getting somewhat long in the tooth and needs a bit of a youth infusion that hopefully pays dividends in a year or two (damn you Trent Richardson, and curses Saints' and Bills' brass for pooping all over my Khiry Robinson and Bryce Brown stashes!).
    Wow, you and I think alike. I too had Robinson and Brown as stashes. Up until recently that is. I'm sitting at picks 13 14 and 15 in a 14 team dynasty draft. Needless to say, I will absolutely be evaluating all the RBs taken in this recent draft.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment. Much appreciated (to all of you).
    @SmittysRant