Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Malkin's upside on a team not named the Penguins

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Malkin's upside on a team not named the Penguins

I'm curious as to how you all think Malkin's upside is affected if the Pens were to move him.

I've read a couple different articles mentioning the Blues as a logical trading partner. Let's say he goes to STL to center Tarasenko....his production(when healthy) has to go up a touch, right? I mean, he lined up with different wingers at different points all year. Those two together would be scary.

The one article I read also mentioned 5 other possible destinations: CGY, NAS, SJS, VAN, FLA. Of those, I think NAS, then SJS would be the most attractive.

Anyways, I'll link the article below. If he were to be moved to one of these squads, what do you see as the optimal landing spot? Do you think his situation is better or worse?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...evgeni-malkin/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Malkin's upside on a team not named the Penguins

Malkin won't be traded. Emphatically. Every level of the Pittsburgh organization has said that.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015...change-please/

This is far more accurate than anything Sportsnet is going to publish.

Furthermore, Calgary definitely won't be in on that. Bennett and Brodie definitely aren't being moved. I doubt Wideman would be. That doesn't leave a lot of a package to be moved. Given Pittsburgh wants to go younger, that rules out San Jose. Don't see Nashville being willing to take on another massive contract when they aren't a cap team. And they're probably never trading Josi, his contract is one of if not the biggest steal in the NHL. Doubt Van is in, they'd have to give up Horvat and Virtanen. Pittsburgh isn't in cap scenario to take both of the Sedins. So that leaves Florida and St. Lou as potential options. And I don't see it happening.

Dobber Sports Giant

I feel like he will have better numbers anywhere he goes. The supporting cast in Pitts is well, the pitts... Hornqvist is a solid producer but apart from him, Malkin was not blessed with top talent for the past few years.

He would be on the top line anywhere else and I don't see any team (even Arizona) not having at least 2 forwards who could help Malkin increase his production (by feeding him or completing his plays).

However, I just don't see that happening. I mean, what would be the assets going back? It would have to be substantial in order to get the Penguins to let him go.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't see a trade happening either. Pens were demolished by blueline injuries, so you have to give that group a chance to be healthy before you even consider moving Malkin.

But seeing as we're spitballing...I dunno if his numbers change a whole lot. He's always put up fairly big numbers on the power-play, alongside good players in Crosby and Letang.

I guess you could argue that another team could offer him a better regular linemate(s) than the Penguins do (ie-Tarasenko in StL), but I still don't know if that makes a major difference.

And, at the end of it all, Malkin still gets injured with some regularity.

So, all hypothetical, I guess I don't really see a huge increase for Malkin. The PP production decrease might be helped a tad by increased 5-on-5 scoring, but it wouldn't be a huge difference.

And please don't hammer me with Pens PP numbers vs whoever else. I'm really just firing this out off the top of my head.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Malkin won't be traded. Emphatically. Every level of the Pittsburgh organization has said that.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015...change-please/

This is far more accurate than anything Sportsnet is going to publish.

Furthermore, Calgary definitely won't be in on that. Bennett and Brodie definitely aren't being moved. I doubt Wideman would be. That doesn't leave a lot of a package to be moved. Given Pittsburgh wants to go younger, that rules out San Jose. Don't see Nashville being willing to take on another massive contract when they aren't a cap team. And they're probably never trading Josi, his contract is one of if not the biggest steal in the NHL. Doubt Van is in, they'd have to give up Horvat and Virtanen. Pittsburgh isn't in cap scenario to take both of the Sedins. So that leaves Florida and St. Lou as potential options. And I don't see it happening.
    Ok, I know they've affirmed their commitment to Geno.
    I know Geno has stated he loves Pitt.
    But the talk isn't just Sportsnet. I only linked that bc it was spitballing a bunch of fantasy landing spots, which was the point of this thread.
    I've heard multiple talking heads on Hockey Night in Canada say in last couple nights that regardless of what Pitt said, they have to and will explore moving him.
    I'm under the impression that any management team wouldn't say, "Hey, we lost again in the 1st rd and we are currently accepting offers for one of the best players in theworld." And, they have to know that their current model is no longer viable.

So, the spirit of this thread was to see what you thought his upside would be elsewhere. STL does seem like a good fit in a Backes+Oshie+pick sorta way, so maybe...what would his upside be w Tank on his wing?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

THanks for chiming in, peoples. Given both Geno and Sid are past their prime, I don't see why Pitt wouldn't explore moving one of them. I don't think either is properly supported and would think a set up like ANA rolls out as more useful than Geno flanked by Comeau and Spaling, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    THanks for chiming in, peoples. Given both Geno and Sid are past their prime, I don't see why Pitt wouldn't explore moving one of them. I don't think either is properly supported and would think a set up like ANA rolls out as more useful than Geno flanked by Comeau and Spaling, lol.
    Uhhhhh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fun fact. Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Nick Backstrom, Alex Ovechkin, Claude Giroux, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Max Pacioretty, Anze Kopitar, Zach Parise, Patrice Bergeron, Phil Kessel.....Seems like a lot of the best players in the NHL are all past their primes. Sid is 27, Geno is 28. In what universe is that age past your prime?

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't disagree with you, rataylor, but one can also make an argument that Malkin and Sid are the most beaten up by injury among that group you've mentioned.

I hardly think they're past their primes...but they may be close to the point where the value you get back for them drops off sharply the longer you wait.

Malkin has missed 13 games, 22games, 17 games (lockout season), 7 games, 39games, 15 games....and who knows how many games he's played in while hobbled by injury (like the last 10-15 games of this season).

It's not ridiculous to say that, given that injury history, if a desperate team in need of a major shakeup offers the Penguins a sizeable package...they may have to consider it, no matter what they're saying publicly.

Dobber Sports Icon

Oh boy..so 25 is the new "PRIME"..dammit!

ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

I...am your father.

IMO Geno and Sid are entering their prime now. For superstars, prime is 27-30. Past their prime? No way. I don't think either have seen career highs yet. That won't happen until something big takes place - one of them gets traded, and/or the NHL makes another big move to push scoring (i.e. rule change, clamp down, etc)

As for "will Geno be traded" - no. It's too smart a move for PIT to do it. So it won't happen.

BUT, on another team Geno would be a beast. He has shown time and again that his numbers skyrocket with Sid out of the picture. I'd love to see him go somewhere else.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Monster

It's really odd that the Malkin speculation has geared up after the Penguins declared they arent trading him

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Winnipeg is the best fit.

They can outbid the Blues because they can give up D.

Myers won't be moved but Trouba, Morrissey or even Byfuglien could be traded.

Add a player like Wheeler/Little/Ladd and a 1st/Petan.

And the icy cold weather shouldnt be a problem for Malkin since he's from Russia right?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I can't remember where I heard it, but I heard someone suggest a Malkin for Shea Weber straight up trade. Seems like it would fill a need for both teams positionally, and would be reasonably close in salary, though Pitt would have to add a salary dump like Scuderi or something. And to answer your question, I think his scoring would go up on pretty much any team.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkys_Choice View Post
    I can't remember where I heard it, but I heard someone suggest a Malkin for Shea Weber straight up trade. Seems like it would fill a need for both teams positionally, and would be reasonably close in salary, though Pitt would have to add a salary dump like Scuderi or something. And to answer your question, I think his scoring would go up on pretty much any team.
    Doesn't really feel a need for Pittsburgh. If they traded Malkin (which they won't), it will be for multiple young good offensive pieces.