Thread: [rumour] Brian Elliott asking for trade

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [rumour] Brian Elliott asking for trade

There's some chatter out there today that Brian Elliott is requesting a trade out of St. Louis. Of course, this is simply a rumour right now and hasn't been confirmed by anyone out there of any substance, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. The guy was an All-Star this year, and was one of the better goalies (top 10) in the league for GAA and shutouts yet barely got a sniff in the playoffs.

Hard to say if STL would move him or not. He's obviously an effective goalie for them and is signed to an affordable deal (2.5M) for two more years. That being said, the team appears ready to move on with Jake Allen and Jordan Binnington is playing well in the AHL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: [rumour] Brian Elliott asking for trade

If true, it doesn't suprise me. Even if there is no truth to this rumour, I bet you he is still quietly unhappy with how things have gone this year. There were rumblings he felt slighted by the Miller trade last year too.

edit: here's a tweet from NHL.com's Lou Korac
    https://twitter.com/lkorac10/status/592552761650216960
    "Got to talk to Brian Elliott. Felt like it was last time. No way I see him wanting to stay here. I believe he'll ask for trade."

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

The Great One

Hitchcock and Boudreau have no idea how to handle goalies. Not surprised Elliott wants out.

I could see a lot of changes in St. Louis, including Hitchcock being fired, as Dobber mentioned in the ramblings today.

As for Elliott, I've never been all that convinced that he is a very good goalie largely because of the way he has been handled by Hitchcock in St. Louis. It seems like St. Louis can make any goalie look decent (Halak, Elliott, Miller, Allen), and even when Elliott has played well for them, they have never seemed to have a lot of confidence in him.

If Elliott was on another team (say for example Edmonton who needs a goalie), I'm not sure I'd trust him to put up decent stats.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

Not sure o agree with that as Hitchcock has previously ridden his starter (when he had one) as they average 55-58 games. Issue you have is when a goalie doesn't run with it and that's what's happened with Allen and Elliott - even St Louis fans didn't believe in Allen and applauded the Elliott re signing as it have Allen a mentor - problem is Elliott didn't read the memo but also dropped the ball when Hitch did buy into him

will be interesting to see where he lands as I'm not sure I see him a starter on many teams and those he could be I don't think need him...

Dobber Sports Genius

Yup. Sounds about right. Years of being teased with a legit starting gig only to have mgmt/coaching undermine and contradict his position. I'm not saying Elliott is the answer or even a capable #1 but it surely must be frustrating for him being in constant limbo.

Dobber Sports Master

I have never been Elliot's biggest supporter, but felt he got snubbed by Hitch and the Blues and deserves better than what he was given. Do I think his numbers in St. Louis are inflated? Yes! However, Elliot had better or equal numbers to Allen all season long (who also played with the Blues), and should have gotten at least a full game vs. Minnesota to show what he had. Bad coaching? I'm not sure, but something is wrong somewhere here.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Hitchcock and Boudreau have no idea how to handle goalies. Not surprised Elliott wants out.

I could see a lot of changes in St. Louis, including Hitchcock being fired, as Dobber mentioned in the ramblings today.

As for Elliott, I've never been all that convinced that he is a very good goalie largely because of the way he has been handled by Hitchcock in St. Louis. It seems like St. Louis can make any goalie look decent (Halak, Elliott, Miller, Allen), and even when Elliott has played well for them, they have never seemed to have a lot of confidence in him.

If Elliott was on another team (say for example Edmonton who needs a goalie), I'm not sure I'd trust him to put up decent stats.
    I'm not sure I'd trust Carey Price to put up good stats in Edmonton, lol. Seriously, I can't think of any team that is better suited for Elliot than StL.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Ohhhhhh boy, Elliott may regret this one!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Ohhhhhh boy, Elliott may regret this one!!
    2nd that!

Dobber Sports Titan

He has never done well after 50games started in a year. It’s weird, but oddly true. I do think he was always told he would be the starter, and then he gets moved to backup or 1B, which shouldn’t happen. And with Miller, and Halak to a lesser extent, not every goalie can do well in StL. Like playing with Crosby, it takes a special type of goalie to do well with the Blues, and I think that’s Elliot. Should he ask for a trade? I’d say yes. Will it work out for him? Prolly till around January.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

This rumour was apparently rebuffed by Elliott....

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 4h4 hours ago

Told Brian Elliott has no current plans of asking for a trade...you don't irrational decision right after a playoff loss #stlblues
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Stud

Some guys thrive when the spotlight is focused on them, others wilt. Some need a healthy dose of competition to goose a better performance. I know that I always swam better times against top competition. I know thats a different sport but I think some of that holds true for life in general.

However at the end of the day I think it boils down to coaching. Something seems broken for Saint Louis and I haven`t a clue as to what it is.

Who is the goalie coach for the Blues ? How long has he been there ?
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Genius

I think Jim Corsi was hired there as goalie coach last summer if I remember correctly