Thread: Keep Tarasenko or....Malkin? yep, for real.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Keep Tarasenko or....Malkin? yep, for real.

Roto, standard plus (+/-)/hits/FW/Pims/ ....keep 3 skaters, 1 goaler. Last year I kept Backstrom/Malkin/Subban and Rask.

This year I'm thinking Backstrom/Tarasenko/Subban and Holtby. The quality of the team factors heavily in my decisions, so I'll swap Holtby for Rask because Boston has some work to do to get their mojo back. You could make the argument for Hedman vs Subban, but I'm a Habs fan.

With that in mind, is Malkin so good (regular season) that it outweighs his injuries and Pittsburg's suckiness? Is Tarasenko going to maintain or improve on his great year?

Here's the team (winnng team, btw). I loaded up on goalies at end to have some keeper choice:

Backstrom C
    Bergeron C
    Comeau LW,RW
    Kucherov LW,RW
    Malkin C,RW
    Wheeler RW
    Tarasenko RW
    Zidlicky D
    Stralman D
    Faulk D
    Subban D
    Hjalmarsson D
    Hedman D
    Holtby G
    Darling G
    Rask G
    Talbot G
    Hutchinson G

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Keep Tarasenko or....Malkin? yep, for real.

i didnt even need to read your post. malkin over tarasenko, in any type of league. don't be crazy.

ok...maybe not in playoff leagues...

The Great One

Does your league allow trades right now? Can you flip Malkin for draft picks? Presumably some of your cuts will be upgrades to other teams, unless you are in a really, really small league.

Dobber Sports Novice

We stick to the traing deadline, so no trades now. Maybe I'll hold him and trade him next season for guys I miss during the draft ! Good idea.

I know he's a great player, mercurial most of the time, but he's going to play 60 games and Pittsburg is going to suck as long as they have 4 big contracts. I get the feeling there will be one year soon when he just hits a wall.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd be inclined to keep Malkin/Backstrom/Tarasenko and Rask.

My reasoning:

1. I'd take Tarasenko over Subban/Hedman simply because an elite scorer (or potential elite scorer) is a harder find than a top tier D-man. D-men tend to be more unpredicabel year-to-year, and although I like both Hedman and Subban you should be able to find some good value on the back end in the draft (ie. Carlson and Giordano this year). You'll have a harder time finding someone like Tarasenko. I know many are skeptical if he can do it again next year, but I've watched quite a few Blues games the year, and by all means he looks legit, he's very noticeable for all the right reasons.

2. Rask over Holtby. Rask is still a top tier goalie, I completely agree that Boston appears to be regressing, but this has been his worst season since 2010, and he still had a 2.30 GAA and 0.922 SV% which is essentially what Holtby did this year on a career year. Personally, I'd take Rask. Holtby might fall back to you in the draft, Rask wont IMO.

Dobber Sports Novice

Shit, I thought I was cutting down my options, but that makes too much sense. I can test these 3 scenarios, but that last one Malkin/Backstrom/Tarasenko/Rask is a strong combo that I didn't see. Being a fan of a player (Subban) does cloud your judgement.

Thanks.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by uberK View Post
    Shit, I thought I was cutting down my options, but that makes too much sense. I can test these 3 scenarios, but that last one Malkin/Backstrom/Tarasenko/Rask is a strong combo that I didn't see. Being a fan of a player (Subban) does cloud your judgement.

Thanks.
    Agree with this group. Those are superstar scorers. Take your chances in the draft on getting solid dmen - I'm sure there will be lots available.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    I'd be inclined to keep Malkin/Backstrom/Tarasenko and Rask.

My reasoning:

1. I'd take Tarasenko over Subban/Hedman simply because an elite scorer (or potential elite scorer) is a harder find than a top tier D-man. D-men tend to be more unpredicabel year-to-year, and although I like both Hedman and Subban you should be able to find some good value on the back end in the draft (ie. Carlson and Giordano this year). You'll have a harder time finding someone like Tarasenko. I know many are skeptical if he can do it again next year, but I've watched quite a few Blues games the year, and by all means he looks legit, he's very noticeable for all the right reasons.

2. Rask over Holtby. Rask is still a top tier goalie, I completely agree that Boston appears to be regressing, but this has been his worst season since 2010, and he still had a 2.30 GAA and 0.922 SV% which is essentially what Holtby did this year on a career year. Personally, I'd take Rask. Holtby might fall back to you in the draft, Rask wont IMO.
    I agree with this^. You really shouldn't be keeping a D in a keep-four unless, well, your forwards all suck. Karlsson may be the exception that proves the rule.

I don't believe that I ever kept a D until my league started keeping six.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks.
    No prob. Sometimes you just need an unbiased observer. Which the site is great for, lot's of great hockey minds here. Welcome to the site.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I agree with this^. You really shouldn't be keeping a D in a keep-four unless, well, your forwards all suck. Karlsson may be the exception that proves the rule.

I don't believe that I ever kept a D until my league started keeping six.
    I follow a pretty similar strategy. Even now in a keep 10, I only try to keep 1 D, two tops.

The Great One

A bigger influence on this is where are you picking? Are you in the first two or three or are you on the back end in a snake? Also how many teams? Guessing pretty shallow based on your line up but that would have a decent influence on who I keep... Would also pay attention as to who everyone else is keeping to influence my choice

Dobber Sports Novice

I won, so I'm 12 and 13 in the snake draft. My gut and my head are saying keep the 3 forwards. Two shots to get a #1 D-man and a 1B goaler - I like the odds.

The Great One

I guess the key is are there 12 forwards that are better than the D that will be sat there...

Dobber Sports Veteran

I won, so I'm 12 and 13 in the snake draft. My gut and my head are saying keep the 3 forwards. Two shots to get a #1 D-man and a 1B goaler - I like the odds.
    I'd feel more comfortable going into the draft with 3 stud forwards and picking a D at 12/13. It depends on how many D are being kept, but I suspect that maybe only Karlsson and maybe Weber/Shattenkirk would be kept. Means that some pretty solid D should make it to you at the turn.

Dobber Sports Novice

yep and goalies are worth 27% of the points, and there's a good chance to get a good 1B. That's one of my reasons for loading up with 5 for the finish. I think there's going to be a lot of goalie movement this summer, too.

We only have to declare keepers in Sept., but it's setttled for now. Going with the 3 forwards + Rask.

Thanks to all for the thoughts.