Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sick of hearing Edmonton as "worst McDavid landing spot"

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Sick of hearing Edmonton as "worst McDavid landing spot"

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Doesn't deserve the pick? How do you explain that? How do you explain anyone deserving the pick? It's a lottery and everyone in the lottery had a chance to win it. Some had a better chance and some had a harder chance but it was simply the luck of the draw. And to say that people are not happy about how lucky that have been? That's just silly. Why be mad at someone elses good fortunes. It was luck. That's like saying you're mad because someone just won a car in a draw. That's simply petty and reeks of jealousy.

As I have said, the only fans who should really be upset are Oilers fans that we are even still in that position where we have to worry about lottery picks.
    It just shows that draft lotteries in general and this one in particular are misguided and

a) don't really solve the problem that they are allegedly supposed to solve, and
    b) create more problems of their own.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm sorry, but all I hear is a big pile of whining from non-Oiler fans when the only real fans who "deserve" to whine at all are the actual Oiler fans after years of futility.
    This is where I think your teetering on the brink of homerism, trust me I know the symptoms as a sufferer myself. Ask yourself this, be brutally honest, had all that's transpired over the last six or so years with the draft happened not to Edmonton, but let's say instead it was Toronto who benefitted. All your first rounders played there instead, and yet year after year they continued to underachieve and fail with an embarrassment of riches. Maybe the beneficiary was NJ? Or Florida? Dallas, Arizona, Carolina, anybody else at all? Could you in all honesty look us in the eye and say it didn't piss you off at least a little? If you can say in total honesty that it wouldn't bother you even a little bit your a saint.

It's one thing to have lots of luck, it's another to have lots of luck and continuously squander that good fortune only to be rewarded with more good fortune. A natural human emotion would be to say let somebody else have a shot at such good luck, somebody who won't waste it. Is it petty and/or jealous, possibly, but it is perfectly natural human reaction. The fact that you can't see it that way doesn't come a shock, I mean after all your Oilers are the beneficiary. To be happy about that is normal as well, but telling others that their just dealing with sour grapes, to get over it, and as one person, not you Chris, told us in another thread to "suck it" isn't any better. Makes you guys like a poor winners.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    This is where I think your teetering on the brink of homerism, trust me I know the symptoms as a sufferer myself. Ask yourself this, be brutally honest, had all that's transpired over the last six or so years with the draft happened not to Edmonton, but let's say instead it was Toronto who benefitted. All your first rounders played there instead, and yet year after year they continued to underachieve and fail with an embarrassment of riches. Maybe the beneficiary was NJ? Or Florida? Dallas, Arizona, Carolina, anybody else at all? Could you in all honesty look us in the eye and say it didn't piss you off at least a little? If you can say in total honesty that it wouldn't bother you even a little bit your a saint.

It's one thing to have lots of luck, it's another to have lots of luck and continuously squander that good fortune only to be rewarded with more good fortune. A natural human emotion would be to say let somebody else have a shot at such good luck, somebody who won't waste it. Is it petty and/or jealous, possibly, but it is perfectly natural human reaction. The fact that you can't see it that way doesn't come a shock, I mean after all your Oilers are the beneficiary. To be happy about that is normal as well, but telling others that their just dealing with sour grapes, to get over it, and as one person, not you Chris, told us in another thread to "suck it" isn't any better. Makes you guys like a poor winners.
    Very well said. Agreed.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Administrator

I'm just enjoying how everyone I know is coming up to me and telling me everything that is still wrong with the Oilers' team trying to rain on the parade. I can just smell the jealousy and it is delicious. No doubt they still have problems but this team is winning a Cup in the next four years with McDavid. It's gonna happen.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Look at the previous years that the Oilers owned the 1st overall pick. In every one of those years, there was no clear #1 pick so to say the Oilers would walk away with the best player in those years is an argument in itself.

These were the options in those draft years:

Taylor vs Tyler
    Yakupov vs Ryan Murray
    RNH vs Adam Larsson (yes he was a projected #1 overall that year)

Who knows, maybe, just maybe, Jack Eichel turns out to be the better NHL player from this years draft. Unlikely, but it's not completely out of the question.

To say the Oilers don't deserve to win the lottery is just plain silly. Every team near the bottom of the standings deserved to win but there is only one and it takes a whole lot of luck to do it.

That's all it was, luck. To say the Oilers dont deserve it because they have had previous 1st overall picks means little when there was no clear cut #1 in those years.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

So they're good luck hasn't been good enough Axe? Come on now, you're actually coming off really bad at this point and making yourself look ridiculous.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    So they're good luck hasn't been good enough Axe? Come on now, you're actually coming off really bad at this point and making yourself look ridiculous.
    No, what I am saying is just because they have had previous 1st overall picks doesn't make them any less deserving this year.

Obviously what I am trying to get across isn't coming across right.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

No, what I am saying is just because they have had previous 1st overall picks doesn't make them any less deserving this year.

What's coming off is "Edmonton's other first overall picks weren't as good as Crosby, so they deserve every first round pick until they get one of those"

Administrator

Keep in mind that it's a lottery. Deserve's got nothing to do with it.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    What's coming off is "Edmonton's other first overall picks weren't as good as Crosby, so they deserve every first round pick until they get one of those"
    I never said they deserved anything. I said they were lucky to win it.

Who do you think DID deserve to win it?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i dont think the oilers are undeserving to win the lottery. someone was going to win it, the oilers could have been in the 9th spot and still won it.

i think the oilers are "undeserving" to win it with the 3rd overall pick.

looking back at their 1st round selections the years they had one:

2014 - 3rd overall
    2013 - 7th overall
    2012 - 1st overall
    2011 - 1st overall
    2010 - 1st overall
    2009 - 10th overall
    2008 - 22nd overall
    2007 - 6th overall

a team that is able to draft that high should NOT be finishing 3rd overall. getting 3 straight #1 picks (the last one was a lottery pick too i believe) should never happen.

i think that's the point most people are trying to make. i dont see how there being a clear cut pick is relevant. the oilers still got several good players, and still continue to be one of the worst teams.

mcdavid will likely change that, as steve said it's possible he brings them a cup shortly. but he's not going to solve everything, so chiarelli still has a lot of work to do.

for a second i thought the draft this year was in buffalo. man that would have been hilarious, if you wanted to see jealousy all you'd need to do is turn the volume up on your TV when chiarelli reaches the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    for a second i thought the draft this year was in buffalo. man that would have been hilarious, if you wanted to see jealousy all you'd need to do is turn the volume up on your TV when chiarelli reaches the podium.

Eeeesh...2016, thank the Lord.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Eeeesh...2016, thank the Lord.
    the only thing worse would be if it was in toronto.

the gm who "steals" seguin and rask from your team also "steals" mcdavid? he wouldn't leave the building alive lol.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i dont think the oilers are undeserving to win the lottery. someone was going to win it, the oilers could have been in the 9th spot and still won it.

i think the oilers are "undeserving" to win it with the 3rd overall pick.

looking back at their 1st round selections the years they had one:

2014 - 3rd overall
    2013 - 7th overall
    2012 - 1st overall
    2011 - 1st overall
    2010 - 1st overall
    2009 - 10th overall
    2008 - 22nd overall
    2007 - 6th overall

a team that is able to draft that high should NOT be finishing 3rd overall. getting 3 straight #1 picks (the last one was a lottery pick too i believe) should never happen.

i think that's the point most people are trying to make. i dont see how there being a clear cut pick is relevant. the oilers still got several good players, and still continue to be one of the worst teams.

mcdavid will likely change that, as steve said it's possible he brings them a cup shortly. but he's not going to solve everything, so chiarelli still has a lot of work to do.

Speaking of Buffalo, go take a look at how many selections they have made in the 1st round since 2007 and tell me they should have been the worst team in the league with the best odds to win the lottery. And you say Edmonton shouldn't have been down there.

Speaking of Buffalo, go take a look at how many selections they have made in the 1st round since 2007 and tell me they should have been the worst team in the league with the best odds to win the lottery. And you say Edmonton shouldn't have been down there.
    Hey how did we get dragged into this?! Jeebus...kick a dog when he's down why dontcha?

This thread reminds me of a bunch a dudes fighting over the only hot chick at the party (I saw her first!), while Eichel stands off in a corner sobbing into a tissue with Hanifin consoling him - There, there Jackie, you're pretty too...on the inside.
    @SmittysRant