Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick of hearing Edmonton as "worst McDavid landing spot"

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Sick of hearing Edmonton as "worst McDavid landing spot"

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post

6. New Jersey - Well...did the NHL market New Jersey's other superstars of the past? Not really. Who's heard of Scott Stevens in the USA outside of hockey fans? And Ilya Kovalchuk? McDavid would be a waste of marketing. At least with Edmonton, the Canadian marketing and buzz would be so huge that it would drip down into the US wherever he went. Fans won't gobble up tickets if New Jersey comes to town, regardless of McDavid, or anyone else. Fit: D
    Not sure that is an accurate depiction of marketing in NJ. everyone knows who Marty is and was... Fans were frustrated with Ilya so they never embraced him.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I guess we sit "fit" as different. How is LA not a fit? One of the largest media markets in the states. I don't care if hockey is "secondary" there, McDavid would still be a star in LA. Or Columbus. Maybe not as marketable of a place, but in terms of real life hockey, McDavid could have made that team a juggernaut. I see at least 5 fits (your 3, plus these 2), with arguments to be made for both Dallas and San Jose.
    Not under that coaching system; the team hasn't suffered and don't really need him, and I also don't like the sunbelt getting him. But LA is probably still a top 6 or 7 fit, if I were to rank the teams. SJ too. Not sure why you think DAL is a good one, DAL is almost as bad as ARI for hockey hype

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Not sure that is an accurate depiction of marketing in NJ. everyone knows who Marty is and was... Fans were frustrated with Ilya so they never embraced him.
    I never wanted to go to an NJ game. Probably the 30th most exciting NHL team that I want to go see. And I've been to a game there, though it was at their old arena
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Great One

To anyone who thinks any of the young Oilers players are ruined, I will join a fantasy league with you and gladly take as many of the Oiler young forwards as possible. I'd love to have Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, and McDavid on my team.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I hear ya. It is getting old. I'm similarly tired of hearing that water is wet.
    especially when it's frozen! ??
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    McDavid in Dallas would be sick to see.
    I don't think I'd want Ruff anywhere near McDavid. He'd healthy scratch 'em for not enough effort on the back check, then bury him on the fourth line for ten games..
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Not under that coaching system; the team hasn't suffered and don't really need him, and I also don't like the sunbelt getting him. But LA is probably still a top 6 or 7 fit, if I were to rank the teams. SJ too. Not sure why you think DAL is a good one, DAL is almost as bad as ARI for hockey hype
    That seems pretty short-sighted Dobs. Are you forgetting the Modano-Nieuwendyk-Belfour years? The Stars were as popular in Dallas as the Cowboys were. Sure maybe the market in Dallas needs more "winning" to be popular than a Canadian market, but put a solid team on the ice and that team will be the talk of the town and sellout always.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I don't think I'd want Ruff anywhere near McDavid. He'd healthy scratch 'em for not enough effort on the back check, then bury him on the fourth line for ten games..
    I forgot he still was the coach. Honestly with all the quick firings this “off-season” I assumed he was one of them. I like Ruff as a person, but not as a coach.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Stars organization has been going big on building up hockey in Texas. I don't doubt there's a market there, but until Gaglardi came along nobody really tried to exploit it. One of his cornerstones is growing hockey in Texas, not just Dallas. Yeah hockey will never surpass football in Texas, to say football is a religion is to understate the matter massively. Still it can thrive with the proper care and I believe that is in place now. So I don't get the Dallas would have been a bad place for McDavid idea.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I forgot he still was the coach. Honestly with all the quick firings this “off-season” I assumed he was one of them. I like Ruff as a person, but not as a coach.
    He may yet, but only if Babcock doesn't re-sign with the Wings. I don't think Detroit let's him walk, but if they do Nill will be all over that. Whether Nill could lure Babcock is another story all together, but I don't doubt Gaglardi would write that check in a heartbeat.

Now looking beyond that, if the Stars go through another disappointing season like they just had then I think his head will roll this time next year.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The City of Edmonton isn't the worst landing spot. It's the fact that the old boys club remain in charge (as long as they wish) under Katz that people don't like.

Hopefully Bob Nicholson can fix this.

I love how McDavid landed in one of only a few possible Canadian cities. Selfishly, Toronto would've been great but Edmonton has always been a favourite of mine. Hell, I grew up in the late stages of the Edmonton Gretzky era. McDavid could have the same effect with the boat load of talented young forwards.

I do think that EDM needs to bring in a top pairing D and do whatever it takes to make that happen (trade their second 1st) or move one of their coveted forwards (they have that luxury).

Dobber Sports Pro

It's definitely the Toronto media leading this "Poor McDavid" charge. And it isnt going unnoticed in Edmonton. A few Edmonton media members have been open about their disdain for some of the Toronto writers behavior in the last 5 days, and I don't expect it to be forgotten. I fully expect that members of the Oilers organization have heard it all too. Im not saying revenge is in store haha, but when Edmonton is dominate, not if, but when, I wonder if these Toronto media panderers are given the access to this team they would normally be given. ....that may seem petty, and is obviously unprofessional, but there's been some pretty harsh stories written, stories that go beyond bashing the Oilers organization, but openly bash the city and character of the people in the organization.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

McDavid in Edmonton is outstanding. Personally, I wanted him to go to Arizona (I have OEL in two keeper leagues...)....but ending up in Edmonton is just fine.

Simply too much talent in Edmonton for it not to work out. And now that McDavid is there, whoever's really in charge now (Nicholson, Chiarelli ?!?) can make some interesting decisions.

Maybe they keep all the young guys. Maybe they move a more established player (Hall, Nuge, Eberle) for D help. Maybe they move a less-established player (Yakupov, Draisaitl) for D help.

McDavid landing in Edmonton can lead to major moves...or maybe not. But I love the idea of finding out.

And, more to the point, people are chafed that a crappy organization that's had tons of chances lands the superstar. I view it slightly differently--what about a fanbase that's been put through that garbage for nine years now? Edmonton fans have pretty much stuck with the team thru all this. I love that that fanbase gets McDavid. Very deserving

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    To anyone who thinks any of the young Oilers players are ruined, I will join a fantasy league with you and gladly take as many of the Oiler young forwards as possible. I'd love to have Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, and McDavid on my team.
    This guy, I like this guy.

Honestly I don't think Edmonton's actually "ruined" anyone. Who are we talking about here? Yakupov? Paajarvi? Because Hall, RNH, and Eberle seem pretty good to me. I don't know much about Klefbom, but Nurse projects to be pretty impressive. That's not a bad record. No one hits a homerun with their first round picks every year.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    you can't compare scoring now vs then. i think in crosby's rookie year the art ross winner got like 120 points or something like that. jumbo joe i think? vs this year benn barely finished above ppg?

i think we will see a few 90 point scorers next year, maybe 100 if crosby returns to form. but i HIGHLY doubt mcdavid hits 80+ points next summer, i've been saying it all summer.
    I agree

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    This guy, I like this guy.

Honestly I don't think Edmonton's actually "ruined" anyone. Who are we talking about here? Yakupov? Paajarvi? Because Hall, RNH, and Eberle seem pretty good to me. I don't know much about Klefbom, but Nurse projects to be pretty impressive. That's not a bad record. No one hits a homerun with their first round picks every year.
    how could you forget to mention their biggest superstar aka Mike Comrie?

the guy was so good he was worth more than Corey Perry in trade talks.

the guy was so good his family is an owner of The Brick.

the guy was so good he married Hilary Duff.

the guy was so good he divorced Hilary Duff.

McDavid got nothing on Comrie