Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Byfuglien Will Be Traded

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Byfuglien Will Be Traded

Bank it. It's gonna happen. I think teams will pay a lot to get a guy like Byfuglien, and if anything these playoffs show he is expendable. He hurt them more than he helped them against Anaheim.

Not to mention they already have a strong top 4 of Stuart, Trouba, Myers, and Enstrom under contract, solid 5/6 guys in Chariot, Clitsome, Pardy, Postma, Harrison, and Chariot showed he's capable of playing top 4 minutes and being effective. And they have Josh Morrissey on the way. I don't know what exactly the deal will be, but I think it's very likely next season opens with Dustin Byfuglien not on the Jets.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Byfuglien Will Be Traded

Isn't he the main reason they traded Evander Kane?

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Isn't he the main reason they traded Evander Kane?
    They had to trade Evander Kane because of the team dynamic. Getting Myers back makes Buff expendable.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    They had to trade Evander Kane because of the team dynamic. Getting Myers back makes Buff expendable.
    That is true.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    but... wasn't Myers just slotting into Bogosian's spot?

I don't dispute he could be traded, but seems like that opens up a fairly big hole in their D that would need to be filled.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    but... wasn't Myers just slotting into Bogosian's spot?

I don't dispute he could be traded, but seems like that opens up a fairly big hole in their D that would need to be filled.
    Like I said. Myers, Trouba, Stuart, Enstrom, Chariot, Morrissey. Where is the hole?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

they need to upgrade their goaltending. their goalies played well down the stretch but it was clearly an issue in the playoffs. granted they did play against anaheim so perhaps it's not fair to say they sucked but i just don't think pavelec should be their starter if they are serious about making a push in the playoffs.

otherwise byfuglien needs to be traded for a top 6 forward. the jets have a lot of forward depth so they need to make sure they are getting quality back. there arent many D like byfuglien so if he does get traded they need to ensure they get a good return.

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    they need to upgrade their goaltending. their goalies played well down the stretch but it was clearly an issue in the playoffs. granted they did play against anaheim so perhaps it's not fair to say they sucked but i just don't think pavelec should be their starter if they are serious about making a push in the playoffs.

otherwise byfuglien needs to be traded for a top 6 forward. the jets have a lot of forward depth so they need to make sure they are getting quality back. there arent many D like byfuglien so if he does get traded they need to ensure they get a good return.
    I agree. Need to upgrade their top 6. I don't think it's a stretch they can get a top 6 forward for Byfuglien. The easy look is always Edmonton. What about like Eberle and Pittsburgh's first for Buff? Seems like that probably makes sense on both sides.

Dobber Sports Ace

Its not a hole at D, but agree with the above. He could be traded, but they would need to upgrade their F group with a star type player. Big Buff brings certain dynamics that are hard to find. I'd say it is possible he gets traded, but I'm not sure it's probable. They definitely need to figure out their G situation 1st.

Banned

Buff is a FAR better fantasy contributor than he is real life. I think he hurts the Jets when they play him on defense because he is quite awful at the position.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Buff is a FAR better fantasy contributor than he is real life. I think he hurts the Jets when they play him on defense because he is quite awful at the position.

This has some merit as well...I think he brings a physical edge (not the best true defensemen) and is clearly a top offensive D man (PP as well as starting the offense with an outlet pass--from what I've seen which is limited).

Dobber Sports Wizard

Myers can play on the top-pair while Trouba can play on the 2nd pair, so this would make sense. They have three very good right-handed shots on the blueline.

Enstrom seems to be more of a 2nd pair player nowadays, and Stuart is a better fit on the 3rd pair. Adding a Top-6 forward is an obvious goal but if they can't do that, they could look for a left-handed shot to play with Myers.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think Buff is hilarious. The guy doesn't want to be a forward, he wants to be a defenseman.

But when he's a defenseman, he wants to play like a forward.

I honestly don't think that the Jets would miss him all that much. As raytaylor already pointed out their depth at D is actually pretty ridiculous. If they can use him as a trade chip for help elsewhere or simply clear his cap space I don't think that would be the worst thing in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    I don't fully agree with this. When all of Winnipeg's D-core was injured, he carry that team. And he played AWESOME defensively. But he definitely hurt more than he helped in the Anaheim series.

I...am your father.

After a successful season, do they rock their core with this kind of deal? Something has to happen though, but this big?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi