Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2015 NHL Draft Q & A Thread

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: 2015 NHL Draft Q & A Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Awesome, thanks Rossy.

Here's a lob ball for ya because I know this question is going to get asked a ton in the forums leading up to the draft.

Points only, who do you prefer at #3? Marner or Strome.

Standard Multi-cat, who do you prefer at #3? Marner or Strome
    Right off the hop, you stick me with a tough one.

My answer for both formats is Dylan Strome but it's close, particularly in points-only leagues. Strome gets the edge in standard multi-cat leagues because he'll puck up some faceoff wins.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Who's the best first round prospect no one is talking about? I hear all the hype about the top 5-8 guys, but who is someone that might be taken later in the first round that isn't getting enough hype?
    He comes with a Russian tag but Denis Guryanov is a player to watch. In a lot of ways, he's very similar to Mikko Rantanen.

From goaltenders, Ilya Samsonov is the best of the draft IMO.

Jeremy Bracco and Daniel Sprong get flack for being too small or one-dimensional but in fantasy leagues, these are the guys who get bumped up.

Joel Eriksson Ek and Jack Roslovic are two others to watch. The former is a big ranger scorer while Roslovic is a do-it-all type who should carve out a long career simple because he competes and does everything well (with skill).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    thanks for this thread, was hoping you would make one after dobber failed to help me out haha. here was my post in his mailbag, with a few corrections as i've gained some picks since then:

in the UHL league i currently have picks: 5th overall, 11th overall, and 17th overall.

i've retooled this year to help me compete in the near future, so immediate production isn't that necessary.

skater cats are: G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG, PIM, +/, SOG, Hits, Blks, FOW

Centers are valued a bit higher since they produce in FOW. D are generally the least valuable, in most cases if they make more than 2-3M they aren't worth their contract. C > W> D, but upside is what i am most interested in.

Who would you target with my picks?

i've already decided who i will take but would look a second opinion. my competitors will read this but obviously the real nhl draft will affect who i draft so not really too concerned.
    This will be dependent on how the draft plays out but my game plan for those picks...

5th - Best available from Strome, Marner, Barzal ....you're likely looking at Barzal who is a player I like a lot.
    11th - Again, best available from Zacha, Rantanen, Meier or Connor. I think one of those huys would be available
    17th - LOok for guys like Konecny, Bracco or Sprong.

I wouldnt advise taking a D at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Do you think Konecny is a future Curtis Lazar with more skill like I do?
    He's more skilled than Lazar but I don't like that comparable.

I think he's a more dynamic Bryan Little.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pahlsson26 View Post
    Given that McDavid, Eichel, Strome and Marner are top 4 from the fantasy standpoint, who do you see as #5? Is it Hanifin or some forward? I'm talking dynasty league which includes blocks and hits.
    I guess you'll have to buy the upcoming prospects guide

Mathew Barzal, Pavel Zacha and Mikko Rantanen are the players I would target after the top 4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Any glaring concerns with regard to Hanifin's game? I always hear about the hype, but never the deficits.
    He's a bit lacksidaisical at times so I think he could be more aggressive. He's not overly physical either but it's not overly concerning because he doesn't shy away from contact.

I worry about whether he has that extra drive to elevate into elite status like a Karlsson.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    Thanks for doing this Rossy! These are immensely appreciated by all!

I understand this coming entry draft is loaded with talent but not a peep has been uttered on the goalies of this draft.

Are there any goalies worth paying attention to?

If so, in what rounds do you envision them getting drafted?

Thanks again!
    I absolitely love Russian netminder Ilya Samsonov and he's in a class of his own in this draft IMO. It'll be interesting how it plays out with him considering he is Russian and appears slated to play in the KHL next season. IMO, he's first round worthy but more likely to fall out of that round because of his passport.

Mackenzie Blackwood (Barrie) and Callum Booth (Quebec) are among the best in Canada and are likely 2nd/3rd round picks. I've watched Swede Felix Sandstrom a bit and he's impressed in limited viewings. Outside of these four, who should be top 3 round picks

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Feadur View Post
    in a points-only, keep 11, salary-capped league, who are your top SEVEN 2015 draftees?

for reference, in this league, a 35-point defenceman is worth a 59-point forward (so a 40-pt D is worth a 64-pt F and so on)

I have them at

1. McDavid
    2. Eichel
    3. Strome
    4. Marner
    5. Hanifin
    6. Raantanen
    7. Crouse/Werenski

thoughts?

I think you'll find out with time that there are dmen with more upside that could slot into those last two spots (Kylington, J. Roy, Dunn, Vande Sompel) but they'd be a risk at that point. I don;t mind putting Hanifin in your top 7 due to the weighted stats for D but I generally take a wait-and-see approach in my fantasy leagues. Let them develop on other team's rosters and then pluck them right before they "make it" for cheap after owners grow impatient.

1. McDavid
    2. Eichel
    3. Strome
    4. Marner
    5. Barzal
    6. Hanifin
    7. Zacha
    8. Rantanen

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Right off the hop, you stick me with a tough one.

My answer for both formats is Dylan Strome but it's close, particularly in points-only leagues. Strome gets the edge in standard multi-cat leagues because he'll puck up some faceoff wins.
    LOL! And here I thought I was tossing you an easy one.

Thanks for the reply.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Can you draft my prospects for me in each keeper pool?

Ha, ok actual question with late picks in this draft (25-30 range) who could be second round drafted gems to get that maybe people will not grab with first round picks still available? Bracco and Senyshyn? Any others?
    Hilarious...but yes, for a cost

Senyshyn and Bracco are two guys I like so good call. Sprong might fall. Anthony Beauvillier, Denis Guryanov, Roope Hintz, Filip Chlapik, Jake DeBrusk are names I'd target. For D - Dunn, Vande Sompel, Rasmus ANdersson, Juulsen are ones to watch.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Sir View Post
    Thanks for doing this Rossy. I have 5 picks in the first round for the league in my sig. The order of those picks are not decided yet as we have not had our Draft Lottery. I do have 2 picks in the lottery and have a 48% chance overall of landing McDavid. My question to you isn't so much who I should target with the first 2 picks (which could be anywhere from 1st to 3rd overall) as that's rather obvious, but rather who could potentially be a steal to stash on my minors later in the first (I have the 7th,9th,and 11th overall).
    Evgeny Svechnikov, Timo Meier, Jeremy Roy (D), Daniel Sprong (again), Jeremy Bracco (again ) Kyle Connor (he gets overlooked) are all names that could be stashed but it appears you'll be able to land top talent that doesn't necessarily need "stashing:. With 2 potential Top 3 picks and 3 others before the 12th pick you should just load up - take 5 BPA from McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, Barzal, Zacha, Rantanen, Meier, Connor, Konecny, Svechnikov, etc. or if you want to mix in a D or two then look at Hanifin, Provorv, Werenski, Roy or Kylington with one of those picks.

Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Points only league:

1-Who's the best option at D? Hanifin, Provorov or Werenski?

2-Pick one on this list: Barzal, Zacha, Crouse, Rantanen...or Fabbri

Thanks Rossy!
    1. Hanifin
    2. Barzal....Fabbri (love him and he's closer)...Zacha...Rantanen....Crouse ....in that order.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Oakville Squires View Post
    Thanks for doing this Rossy.

Right now I rank the top 12 prospects from this years draft, from a fantasy perspective in a G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP league, as:

1) McDavid
    2) Eichel
    3) Marner
    4) Strome
    5) Hanifan
    6) Barzal
    7) Rantanen
    8) Zacha
    9) Provorov
    10) Crouse
    11) Konecny
    12) Meier

> What would your top 12 be and what would be the tiers (i.e. Tier 1 McDavid; Tier 2 Eichel; Tier 3 Marner, Strome, Hanifan; etc.)

> How would Fiala, Bjorkstrand and Larkin fit in to your top 12 (if they would even make it at all)?

Thanks again.
    This is based on fantasy and your league setup...

TIER 1
    1) McDavid
    TIER 2
    2) Eichel
    TIER3
    3) Marner
    4) Strome
    TIER 4
    5) Zacha (bumped up because of PIM/SOG)
    6) Barzal
    Fiala
    7) Hanifin
    8) Rantanen
    Larkin
    9) Provorov
    10) Crouse
    11) Meier
    12) Connor
    Bjorkstand (big fan of Bjorkstand and I think he's cracking CBJ's lineup very soon...maybe next season but he's got years on these guys for now, I put him at the end of this list)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thank you so much for doing this!!

I have two questions...

My first one is the same I asked you last year (and your answer was much appreciated and extremely useful!) : Which players do you feel are a bit "overrated/overvalued" and which are "underratted/undervalued" ?

My second question is as follows : Last year you mentionned that it was a good draft year for goalies, that the goalie crop was interesting (therefore I adjusted my later round picks and, when in doubt, drafted goalies). Is there, for later rounds, a position for which it seems like there is a "good crop"?

Thanks!!
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    Thank you so much for doing this!!

I have two questions...

My first one is the same I asked you last year (and your answer was much appreciated and extremely useful!) : Which players do you feel are a bit "overrated/overvalued" and which are "underratted/undervalued" ?

My second question is as follows : Last year you mentionned that it was a good draft year for goalies, that the goalie crop was interesting (therefore I adjusted my later round picks and, when in doubt, drafted goalies). Is there, for later rounds, a position for which it seems like there is a "good crop"?

Thanks!!
    Overvalued ...

IVan Provorov - He's an extremely impressive defenseman who does a lot of things very well. Extremely smart and efficient but I'm concerned about how much further he can progress. Again, a very safe NHL pick with solid upside (40+) but I'm not loving him ahead of some other players with more upside (Barzal, Zacha, etc.). Love him as a future NHLer but I tread lightly with offensive expectations.

Brock Boeser - tremendous ability to put the puck in the net but goal scorers with wavering intensity/consistency scare me. He's the type of guy that will need to find chemistry with the right player to maximize his chance at his upside. I'd rather choose a buzzsaw forward with a more all-around game.

Undervalued....

Pavel Zacha - Anyone following my work knows I am a big fan of his potential...sure, he's had his bumps along the way but when he's on his game, he's a star. Aggressive, big, skilled and a great shot. His momentum and chemistry was interrupted with the injuries, suspensions and World Juniors.We haven't even begun to see his best hockey. Expect him to launch to new levels next year.

Matt Barzal - The U18s, where he's been awesome, has more people paying attention to him inside the Top 10 but I find it hard to believe anyone would rank him outside of the Top 10. He's got some Giroux qualities.

Lawson Crouse - Some might expect him to land on the 'overvalued" list but I am a big fan and love his game. From a fantasy points based perspective, there are better gambles to take inside the top 10 but He's going to be an impact NHLer and that ups his value. If you're looking for a sure-fire contributor (at the expense of some upside) then he's a smart pick

Denis Guryalov - this kid can skate and fire the puck...he's far from a finished product and comes with the Russian tag but, in my opinion, could end up being one of th best 15 from this draft. Not a lock but certainly has great pro tools.

Also like Eriksson Ek and Jack Roslovic near the end of the first round too.

Others to watch beyond the first round: Zach Senyshyn, Dmitry Timashov, Vince Dunn (D), Travis Dermott (D), Noah Juulsen (D)

It's hard to peg what sorts of players will be available deeper in the draft but overally I think there are some quality forwards throughout the draft. There are also some pretty impressive re-entries too with Conor Garland and Andrew Mangiapane leading the way.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have 6 picks 1/2/4/11/14/16 in the first round. I am already penciled in for McDavid/Eichel and whoever 3rd doesnt take with Strome/Marner. We keep 15 and only have 5 round draft, so at the end of the draft and before the season starts you can only have max of 20. If i dont make any trades and keep 15 and draft 6, I will have to drop a player before season starts. I may try and trade 14/16 for a better pick- top 10(at the draft) if I see a player really I want. My question is if I draft at 14/16 and am looking at players like Provorov/Crouse/Meier/Connor/Zacha...... would they be a better keep in points only(team in sig) over guys like Pullkinen/Bjorkstrand/Kapanen/Duclair. Thanks.
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer

Dobber Sports Ace

Thoughts on Konecny would be appreciated!
    12 team points only keeper (G = 1, A = 1, W = 2, SO = 2)
    Dress 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, 2 goalies, weekly starts
    Roster limit - 20 plus 4 prospects

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Barzal............. long-term point projection?? Is he going to be a 60 or 70 point guy??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

Not necessarily fantasy related but I'm curious to see if you think there are any teams that are more likely to trade up to select a certain player. Obviously this rarely happens but it's fun to think about and I've been wondering. Thanks Rossy!
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun