Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kessel to NJ for the 6th?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Kessel to NJ for the 6th?

Isnt Clowe likely to retire soon anyways? Only way the NJD would trade him is if he said I’m staying on LTIR. If he retires the Devils don’t get a penalty against them because he’s under 35 right?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm glad you believe in Cammy lol. He's a good player, but he's always hurt, and even when he is going to score 25-30G he will be stuck at 45 pts. I think kessel for a 6th is a deal the devils could do, but likely wouldn't because I don't think they feel they have the supporting cast around him to really challenge. It's one of those where you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they get him, then I think they need to make another move around him to get another scorer in the fold.
    Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    cammalleri was on pace for 32 goals in new jersey. i don't think kessel scoring 40 there would be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

zubrus' contract expires next summer. and i figure the devils would rather give up ruutu who's contract also expires next summer and is slightly more expensive. zubrus has been in new jersey a long time, i think they'd rather keep him.

i dont think leafs would take on clowe in a kessel deal. maybe in a deal for phaneuf.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    It's a pretty fair offer IMO, and if Kessel is to be mved that is the type of return I'd expect (High 1st or Mid - low 1st and prospects). I just can't see the reasoning on NJ side. They need the youth.

I think a Kessel deal would make more sense to Florida (Who would have the pieces to get it done without doing serious damage to their prospect cupboard) or Nashville (Who could use the scoring). I could even see a team like Columbus making a stab.

It will be interesting to see. I'm sure we will hear a million Kessel rumors between now and the draft.
    Florida, Columbus, Nashville & New jersey.

Wouldn't be surprised if all these teams are on Kessels "Do Not Trade list."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan321 View Post
    Florida, Columbus, Nashville & New jersey.

Wouldn't be surprised if all these teams are on Kessels "Do Not Trade list."
    why? he's american and seems to hate the media attention. those seem like perfect places for him to play. especially florida, who wouldnt want to play there? good, young upcoming team. GREAT weather. great looking girls...

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    why? he's american and seems to hate the media attention. those seem like perfect places for him to play. especially florida, who wouldnt want to play there? good, young upcoming team. GREAT weather. great looking girls...
    This was my thought as well. I would think a lot places look good to Kessel after his Toronto experience.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    This was my thought as well. I would think a lot places look good to Kessel after his Toronto experience.
    Plus FLA has favorable tax implications, so yeah it should be a win-win for him and man he'd fit in on FLA...He's exactly what they need. They're a bit A heavy in my opinion with Hubs/Barkov etc so a true goal scorer could be the piece they need. What they'd have to give up though I'm not sure about.

Dobber Sports All-Star

The Leafs would absolutely be nuts to make this trade. They would be trading one of the highest scorers in the NHL for a player who may have a 50/50 shot at making it. When you trade a player like Kessel, you get someone back who will be a difference maker in a couple of years. So basically, you would be buying yourself some time since you would be wasting Kessel's talent on a rebuilding team. Kessel for a 6th overall pick could be suicide for the GM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    The Leafs would absolutely be nuts to make this trade. They would be trading one of the highest scorers in the NHL for a player who may have a 50/50 shot at making it. When you trade a player like Kessel, you get someone back who will be a difference maker in a couple of years. So basically, you would be buying yourself some time since you would be wasting Kessel's talent on a rebuilding team. Kessel for a 6th overall pick could be suicide for the GM.
    There is a greater than 80% likelihood that a player selected with that pick will become a valuable NHL asset and a 50% chance that the player will solidify themselves as a top 6 forward. Now those are average numbers based on average draft years and this is not an average draft year. The 3rd overall pick this year would have been in contention for 1st overall in an average draft year and given the strength of the top half of the 1st round you can apply that logic through the top 6 players, meaning that 6th overall pick this year could be as valuable as a typical 4th overall.

The 6th overall pick this year should land Crouse, Marner or Provorov and I'd call that a very solid deal for Toronto as they're not going to be able to expect any more than that in a prospect deal.

Risks are inherent in rebuilding a franchise, nobody is going to give the Leafs a Kessel replacement without having them assume the risk of a prospect or pick and 6th overall would be a very solid deal.

Dobber Sports Genius

He's got a big contract with a bit of term left and that's a problem for sure. However, I think it's a safe bet to make that there are a number of recently elimated teams who feel that a goal scorer like Kessel is exactly what would've pushed them into round 2. I just wonder if now is the right time to move him anyhow. I wonder if his value would increase closer to next year's trade deadline and with him (hopefully) producing closer to the past few seasons as opposed to last season.

Dobber Sports Superstar

4horsemen is absolutely correct here. An actual NHL GM isn't going to just compare player stats in a vacuum. Kessel's contact situation is what's making the idea of moving him so compelling for the Leafs

RETIRED

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    4horsemen is absolutely correct here. An actual NHL GM isn't going to just compare player stats in a vacuum. Kessel's contact situation is what's making the idea of moving him so compelling for the Leafs
    Yeah that's the problem. Cap hits and contracts matter. A lot. Sure most teams want to add Kessel but are they willing to absorb the contract while also giving the Leafs enough to be happy with the return? I'm thinking this will not go down the way many fans are hoping it will.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports All-Star

Those are decent percentages and yes, you do take some risks when rebuilding but, you don't take those risks with an asset like Kessel because you end up taking steps backwards. I would likely agree with you if he was 30+ years old and not in his prime at 27. I think something would have to be added to the pick for insurance. Looking at the last 20 years, there isn't one player that comes close to Kessel from the 6 spot. There have been the likes of M. Koivu, OEL, Hartnell, Brassard, S. Gagner, Upshall, Michalek, Filatov and Brule just to name a few of the better ones. Nothing but inconsistency there. Regardless, trading Kessel is probably in their best interest since they won't be competitive until he is well into his 30's anyway, but get a sure thing for a sure thing. His contract shouldn't be an issue because thats what players of his caliber are making anyhow.

Edit; This is a reply to 4horsemen.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Those are decent percentages and yes, you do take some risks when rebuilding but, you don't take those risks with an asset like Kessel because you end up taking steps backwards. I would likely agree with you if he was 30+ years old and not in his prime at 27. I think something would have to be added to the pick for insurance. Looking at the last 20 years, there isn't one player that comes close to Kessel from the 6 spot. There have been the likes of M. Koivu, OEL, Hartnell, Brassard, S. Gagner, Upshall, Michalek, Filatov and Brule just to name a few of the better ones. Nothing but inconsistency there. Regardless, trading Kessel is probably in their best interest since they won't be competitive until he is well into his 30's anyway, but get a sure thing for a sure thing. His contract shouldn't be an issue because thats what players of his caliber are making anyhow.
    Edit; This is a reply to 4horsemen.

Of couse his contract is an issue. It's the driving issue.

They didn't just wake up one moring and decide that they can do better. They want to be free of the contract, not necessarily the player.

They don't want another Kessel with another Kessel contact. That's not in their plans.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Titan

My thinking is when the Leafs have done their rebuild and are competing again, Kessel will be 32 yrs old (5yrs from now), and his value could have dropped enough where we look back now and say, “man we should have traded Kessel for that top 10 pick”. And Kessel could be the Leafs “Cory Schneider”. Someone who elevates the team from the basement to bottom 10 and outside of a good pick.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

kessel's contract is fine, the guy is consistently one of the top point getters and one of the best goal scorers in the game.

but yes, no team has 8M just lying around that they are dying to use. so leafs will need to take some salary back or kessel isnt going anywhere.