Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5th overall pick in 2015

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: 5th overall pick in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    U of Michigan (Werenski’s school) is division 2, Hanifin is at Boston College which is division 1.
    What?

"From 1991–2012, the team played in 22 consecutive NCAA Men's Division I Ice Hockey Tournaments; this is an NCAA record.[3] The Wolverines have won an NCAA-record nine Division I NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championships,[3] seven of which came during a 17-year stretch between 1948 and 1964. Two more championships were won under current head coach Red Berenson in 1996 and 1998.[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiga...27s_ice_hockey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten...27s_ice_hockey
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Um...
    Max Pacioretty, Jack Johnson, Mike Cammalleri, Mike Knuble...these are just a few Wolverines.
    In fact, Michigan has more drafted NHLers than any other college with 70: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31879

And if you want to expand to the rest of the Big10, you can add MSU (49, including Keith and Krug), Minnesota (69 with many stars), OSU (21), and Wisconsin (49)

Not sure why you're seeing this as a knock on Werenski...
    Let me list the OHL, WHL, QJMHL, players that have been drafted. Oh I cant, there’s a character limit on this. It’s a good league, but the stars aren’t usually coming from the NCAA. And Big10 doesn’t quite do it for me.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Let me list the OHL, WHL, QJMHL, players that have been drafted. Oh I cant, there’s a character limit on this. It’s a good league, but the stars aren’t usually coming from the NCAA. And Big10 doesn’t quite do it for me.
    Well, this is a bit of a red herring.
    We're talking about two guys from the NCAA, what do the Junior Leagues have to do with it?

I agree, I'd take Hanifin over Werenski, and I think he'll go ahead of him -- but it has nothing to do with where Werenski plays.

U of M and the other schools in the Big 10 have rolled out a LOT of stars: Kessel, Keith, Leddy, Okposo, Krug, Pacioretty, Cammalleri, Miller, Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Goligoski...(those off the top of my head).

Still, Hanifin > Werenski
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Well, this is a bit of a red herring.
    We're talking about two guys from the NCAA, what do the Junior Leagues have to do with it?

I agree, I'd take Hanifin over Werenski, and I think he'll go ahead of him -- but it has nothing to do with where Werenski plays.

U of M and the other schools in the Big 10 have rolled out a LOT of stars: Kessel, Keith, Leddy, Okposo, Krug, Pacioretty, Cammalleri, Miller, Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Goligoski...(those off the top of my head).

Still, Hanifin > Werenski
    i think hanifin will be taken higher but werenski will be the better dman, at least fantasy wise. i know we shouldnt take the WJC into account too heavily but werenski easily outplayed hanifin.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm sitting at 6 with a blind draft coming up. I've been in a couple of entry drafts in this slot in other leagues, but I've never been this torn on how to approach it. Rantanen, Hanifin, Crouse, Provorov, or Werenski? Trade up? Trade down?

Lots of agonizing to do over the next two months. Best solution would be for my 5% or so chance in the lottery to hit, but we all know that won't happen. This is going to be a huge draft for my team(in sig), and I really don't want to blow the chance.

Trading up is almost impossible unless I give up Karlsson +, and frankly I'd rather not part with Karlsson. Trading down is the better option, but how far down do you go? 8? 10? Farther if you could snag two 1st round picks(20 teams)?

At this point I have literally no clue which way I'm going to go here. And I'm not saying that just because there are league-mates in here.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

OK, after giving this some thought, my current fantasy hockey ranking is:
    1) McDavid
    2) Eichel
    3) Strome
    4) Marner
    5) Rantanen
    6) Provorov
    7) Hanifin
    8) Zacha
    9) Barzal
    10) Werenski
    11) Crouse
    12) Meier
    13) Connor
    14) Boeser
    15) Svechnikov
    16) Merkley
    17) Konecny
    18) Kylington
    19) Bittner
    20) Sprong

The player I have ranked #20 could end up being a better fantasy player than the player ranked #5, so this draft is wide open after the first four in my opinion... Also, this list could look completely different on draft day, after I've done more research. I'm drafting #19 or #20, so I'm very happy to see how deep this draft really is. Any glaring omissions on my list? Or anyone being way too high?

Bracco was given some consideration but his size is an issue.

Dobber Sports Legend

Since we have no idea which teams are drafting these kids, I would rank the 5th option in this order...

1. Barzal
    2. Rantanen
    3. Zacha
    4. Provorov
    5. Hanifin

... and I would clearly target the Forwards first. Unless you're Aaron Ekblad, D-Men usually take a few years to start producing anything worthwhile. I think the 3 Forwards will be fantasy-relevant sooner and there's less "fantasy risk" in taking them.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    1) McDavid
    2) Eichel
    3) Strome
    4) Marner
    5) Rantanen
    6) Provorov
    7) Hanifin
    8) Zacha
    9) Barzal
    10) Werenski
    11) Crouse
    12) Meier
    13) Connor
    14) Boeser
    15) Svechnikov
    16) Merkley
    17) Konecny
    18) Kylington
    19) Bittner
    20) Sprong

The player I have ranked #20 could end up being a better fantasy player than the player ranked #5, so this draft is wide open after the first four in my opinion... Also, this list could look completely different on draft day, after I've done more research. I'm drafting #19 or #20, so I'm very happy to see how deep this draft really is. Any glaring omissions on my list? Or anyone being way too high?

I agree with your opinion on 5-20 being wide open. If I were to own 5th overall and i might, i would really consider trading down for 2 picks if possible, if you can get 2 of these players in the 5-20 range you increase your chances of getting hitting a homerun.
    Right now I own 1st/2nd/4th/11th/15th/17th...with 4th possibly being 5th and bottom 4 enter a lottery - 70% chance at McDavid and Eichel and 100% chance at Eichel and choice of Marner or Strome..... after that it gets real interesting... I really like Barzal,Meier,Conner and Konecny after 4. Bracco would be a sleeper and if I were you would try and get him late.
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would take Hanifin I think he is that good.

He had a slow start this year but I think he was the #1 D for Boston College after the WJC.

https://twitter.com/graindaiv/status/576590363999277056
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Administrator

I'm seeing very divided opinions here. After #4 I see a drop-off so if I trade up I would be looking for a top-4 pick, otherwise I would target one of the picks after #5 (probably 7-8). You want to be on the right side of the cliff and pick before talent drop-offs whenever possible.

Of course, trading up to #5 would be fine as it would land you a great prospect regardless but you would end up paying more for the pick upgrade.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

I think this years NHL draft is going to be a very interesting one after the first two picks are off the board.

In fantasy hockey, D tend to slide a bit but in the NHL draft, not so much.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    In the NHL the dmen tend to go very early. There's so many different ways thant dmen impact the game so anyone needing help on the back end will see what they want in one of the guys available.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Adam Larsson and Seth Jones did slide a bit. Cam Fowler also fell a lot. That's why it wouldn't shock me if the first four players in the NHL draft are forwards. But there's also a good chance of a D-man going 3rd overall, so you never know.

In the 15-30 range you usually see lots of D-men taken. But lots of good D-man have been available in the 2nd round as well (like McCoshen, Hagg, Santini, Vannelli and Bowey all in 2013), so if I was an NHL GM, I would target a forward in the 1st round and only take a D-man if he falls.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

the only D i can see being taken over strome/marner is hanifin, by edmonton. provorov and werenski will likely be taken soon after (likely one going to carolina), as from what i've read there are a lot more quality F than D available in this years draft.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    1) McDavid
    2) Eichel
    3) Strome
    4) Marner
    5) Rantanen
    6) Provorov
    7) Hanifin
    8) Zacha
    9) Barzal
    10) Werenski
    11) Crouse
    12) Meier
    13) Connor
    14) Boeser
    15) Svechnikov
    16) Merkley
    17) Konecny
    18) Kylington
    19) Bittner
    20) Sprong

I really like Konecny. I think he's a bit underrated. Fantasy-wise, he should be in the mix in the 5-10 range.