Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Open Chat - Ottawa Sens vs. Pittsburgh Pens - LIVE!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Open Chat - Ottawa Sens vs. Pittsburgh Pens - LIVE!

holy crap stepped out for a bit and the sens made an amazing comeback. good for them, must have been an insane game to watch.

anyone care to summarize how things play out now? do sens need to win every single game left to guarentee themselves in?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    holy crap stepped out for a bit and the sens made an amazing comeback. good for them, must have been an insane game to watch.

anyone care to summarize how things play out now? do sens need to win every single game left to guarentee themselves in?
    rheres too many scenarios right now lol, but if they win every single game they will need Pittsburgh to get only two points or Boston to get only three points.

plus, they could pass the isles and wings as well. Picture will be clearer after Thursday

Dobber Sports Stud

Damn, this makes it even harder for me to get starts off of Anderson and Greiss now, sigh.

Dobber Sports Titan

Last week (or the week before) I was questioning why Pitts was giving Malkin and Crosby those “DTD” games off, which they always seem to do to rest them. If only the Sens got the win in regulation.

Die hard Leaf fan and I’m cheering for Ottawa, this is weird, strange, new territory. I cheer for Karlsson, but never for the whole team…until now.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Awesome win for the Sens! Too bad Pitt got the 'loser' point.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Ryan is definitely injured, the same as last year.

Whatever the reason (excuse...and there will be yet another next year), what you have there in Ryan is 20 something goal, 50 something point...$7 million dollar winger.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Except when he's not
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    Whatever the reason (excuse...and there will be yet another next year), what you have there in Ryan is 20 something goal, 50 something point...$7 million dollar winger.
    Except he isn't making that money yet, and injuries arent bad excuses if they're legit.

everyone in ottawa can see what he is at his best. Complete player. he's had a good year even with ups and downs

I remember when people were saying all Turris is is a second line centre with no more upside

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I remember when people were saying all Turris is is a second line centre with no more upside
    You mean like last week!? I keed, I keed.

I am not blown away by Booby Ryan's play on most nights, including when he's not supposedly nursing another nagging injury (which seems to happen a lot). Ryan shows flashes of skill, but not consistently enough for me. It would be nice if he could put up 35 goals and 70 points on a relatively consistent basis. He's been underwhelming in his two seasons so far in Ottawa, with less than 25 goals and 55 points in both years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    You mean like last week!? I keed, I keed.

I am not blown away by Booby Ryan's play on most nights, including when he's not supposedly nursing another nagging injury (which seems to happen a lot). Ryan shows flashes of skill, but not consistently enough for me. It would be nice if he could put up 35 goals and 70 points on a relatively consistent basis. He's been underwhelming in his two seasons so far in Ottawa, with less than 25 goals and 55 points in both years.
    i disagree. For three months once Cameron took over, Ryan had 32 points in 35 games,,was playing a complete game and was a bonafide playmaker. And that was while playing with a broken finger that had to be frozen every game. It has only been the last month where he was been underwhelming and he clearly is not the same type of player. There is certainly something wrong with him. At his best he has been a 200 foot player, a leader, and a difference maker. Now, he looks like he has a sports hernia again and he can barely hold on to the puck. That's not normal. The effort is there, but clearly something is out of whack that is out of his control. He was easily on pace to grab 70 points before plummeting in March out of nowhere. You don't just go from dominating games to not being able to skate and hold onto the puck for a whole month without something being wrong.

Sure you want him to be healthier and more consistent but he's been worth his old deal so far and I am thrilled to have him locked up for a long time. He brings more to the table than points. This year has been a great development year for him in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yeah I am still cutting Ryan some slack too. A sports hernia is no day at the beach. This year was a shitshow at the outset and he really got himself on track like Ev says before the last month. While I accept he's been a mid-50s guy so far, I still think he's going to get to the 60-70 range in Ottawa if he can stay healthy

Regarding Turris, there's obviously upside, and maybe it's just my age showing, but a guy with a 2-way game like that makes me think 2nd line. I miss having a Spezza/Alfy/Heatley type scoring first line, and while clearly having a more spread-out approach over the whole lineup can be effective, I sorta liked the old days when you had a guy like Fisher (or Turris) playing unsung hero. I guess what I'm saying is I'd prefer Turris on a second line with a bona fide superstar centering the first but hey, who wouldnt?
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    Yeah I am still cutting Ryan some slack too. A sports hernia is no day at the beach. This year was a shitshow at the outset and he really got himself on track like Ev says before the last month. While I accept he's been a mid-50s guy so far, I still think he's going to get to the 60-70 range in Ottawa if he can stay healthy

Regarding Turris, there's obviously upside, and maybe it's just my age showing, but a guy with a 2-way game like that makes me think 2nd line. I miss having a Spezza/Alfy/Heatley type scoring first line, and while clearly having a more spread-out approach over the whole lineup can be effective, I sorta liked the old days when you had a guy like Fisher (or Turris) playing unsung hero. I guess what I'm saying is I'd prefer Turris on a second line with a bona fide superstar centering the first but hey, who wouldnt?
    Well maybe we're seeing a new type of that line with Turis and Stone. Since Cameron took over, Stone is 5th overall in scoring and Turris is 16th. Having Turris as our centre over a one dimensional guy like Spezza is going to do wonders for our team longterm, and I think Zibanejad will easily be that a Fisher type centre going forward

Dobber Sports Padawan

Oh! And also -- I think the Ryan contract has a lot more importance to the organization andcan't be evaluated strictly in terms of Ryan's performance. Ottawa was quickly becoming a destination to avoid, known as being cheap and penny-pinching. Signing a big name to a big contract was needed, even if it turns out later it's a not a great contract, because it send the message after the Alfredsson debacle that yes, we are actually willing to spend money and we do want to win. And with how Stone and Hoffman performed this year, combined with the Ryan contract, maybe it changes the public perception of what Melnyk and Murray were up to.

At the end of the day though Ryan was probably going to command that on the open market anyway. And **** it, at least he's out there hustling -- we aren't looking at Semin or something.

EDIT: yeah Ev, for sure. You were right on Hoffman and Stone too; I thought you had on the rose colored glasses earlier this year but holy shit are they good

EDIT 2: is your helmet a nod to LA or Nepean Rams?
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:

Banned

I actually said Hoffman would be the next Conacher . He's proven me wrong but I wouldn't go crazy paying him

Dobber Sports Ninja

Ugh, so you're still paying a 28-year-old (Ryan) north of $7M for 4 years based on his "potential" to hit 35 goals and 70 points, both of which he's done exactly once each!? Sure he's got the talent to put up points over short periods when he's not nursing another injury or when there's a coaching change, but I don't think he's exactly a bargain at his upcoming cap hit. He needs to perform to "earn" his salary. I think he's decent enough, but I'm not over the moon with his two season's with Ottawa so far.