Last week I began the task of reviewing Brian Burke’s term as the General Manager of theToronto Maple Leafs. I thought, now that it’s been three seasons since he’s been gone, that it would be a good time to go over his work and analyze how he did.
I was a big Burke supporter while he was here – I believed in his vision and I thought that building a team around Phaneuf and Kessel was a great idea. I hoped – even after he was gone – that it would work out. When he was fired, I was shocked – as I think most people were. I thought they didn’t give him enough time and that he’d left the team in a good position and that his genius would be apparent a few years down the line.
I was wrong.
Brian Burke’s time with the Leafs was nothing short of terrifying. You can read Part One here, if you’re so inclined. When we left off, it was the end of the 2009-10 season and the first 17 months of Burke’s reign were seen as a disaster. Today we pick it back up in the summer of 2010 and review the last two and half years of Burke’s term.

To continue reading, click here: http://thehockeywriters.com/brian-bu...eas-gm-part-2/