Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't Ignore Kris Bryant

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Can't Ignore Kris Bryant

In a keeper league that’s a roto, my keepers are Altuve (2B), Donaldson (3B), Braun (OF), Brantley (OF), Stanton (OF), Zimmerman (SP), Hamels (SP). Starting line-up is 1-IF, 1B,2B,3B,SS, 5OF, and 1 Util. Scoring is R, HR, RBI, SB, Avg, OPS. Do I take Bryant (3B) over guys like Gerrit Cole (SP), Dickerson, Martinez, Heyward, Betts, Blackmon, Cruz, Arrieta, Cobb, Gray, Ross, Kipnis or Sandoval?

Right now he’s O-Ranked 98th (32nd outside of our keepers), but the way he’s going in spring training, he’s gotta be higher. I could possibly snag him with my second pick after drafting Blackmon, Betts, or Heyward level of a guy. So big question, where do you see Bryant going? 70s? 80s? 90s?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Can't Ignore Kris Bryant

There's no doubting he's impressed this spring, but there's still no guarantee he sticks with the Cubs. Here's a good story that just came out today about him and the possibility (and reasoning) for his demotion to start the season.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-bryant-stuff/
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

With the hype, I think he's going to get snatched up before your 2nd pick comes up. Unbelievable Spring so far, even if he'll be in the minors for the first two weeks of the reg. season. In a keeper league he's worth the investment and I'd take him in the first round just because I'd hate to miss out on him. He won't be better this year than most of the guys you listed but he's the best keeper option, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy View Post
    With the hype, I think he's going to get snatched up before your 2nd pick comes up. Unbelievable Spring so far, even if he'll be in the minors for the first two weeks of the reg. season. In a keeper league he's worth the investment and I'd take him in the first round just because I'd hate to miss out on him. He won't be better this year than most of the guys you listed but he's the best keeper option, I think.
    Agree with this. If you want Bryant, you're probably going to have to take him in the first round. In a keeper, I'd take Bryant over all the names you listed as being available. He's pretty close to Mookie Betts and Gerrit Cole, but because of the hype and the scoring cats in your league I'd take Bryant.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H Keep 5 G, A, PPP, FOW, SOG, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    C,C,LW,LW,RW,RW,F,F,D,D,D,D,G,G,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN,IR+ ,IR+
    Keepers:
    Makar, J. Hughes, T. Meier, K. Connor, Ovechkin

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by TheNugeCooge View Post
    Agree with this. If you want Bryant, you're probably going to have to take him in the first round. In a keeper, I'd take Bryant over all the names you listed as being available. He's pretty close to Mookie Betts and Gerrit Cole, but because of the hype and the scoring cats in your league I'd take Bryant.
    Pitcher Cats are W, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS, S+H. Would you suggest picking Cole to possibly replace Hamels/Zimmerman as a keeper moving forward over having 2 3Bs in Donaldson and Bryant?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Correct me if I read your OP wrong but it looked like you have an IF-spot as well as a Util spot. I would think Bryant would be extremely valuable in the IF position (or Util spot for that matter).

I really like Cole, more than both of your pitchers, but I have a tendency to stay away from pitching when it comes to keepers. I just find it way easier to find pitching late, be it late in the draft or on the wire throughout the season. Also, pitchers have a tendency to get hurt and miss 14 months at a time and that scares me when it comes to keeping them. Power on the other hand, that is a premium category. It is very difficult to find a 30-HR guy in free agency or late in the draft that doesn't hurt you in other categories (i.e. Chris Carter before last season).

It is for these reasons that I would take Bryant, regardless of the two 3B's situation.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H Keep 5 G, A, PPP, FOW, SOG, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    C,C,LW,LW,RW,RW,F,F,D,D,D,D,G,G,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN,IR+ ,IR+
    Keepers:
    Makar, J. Hughes, T. Meier, K. Connor, Ovechkin

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    There's no doubting he's impressed this spring, but there's still no guarantee he sticks with the Cubs. Here's a good story that just came out today about him and the possibility (and reasoning) for his demotion to start the season.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-bryant-stuff/
    He'll likely go back for the minimum, and be straight back up again. I'd already count him as a top pick right now, just expect 0s for the first couple of weeks. No big whup
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    He'll likely go back for the minimum, and be straight back up again. I'd already count him as a top pick right now, just expect 0s for the first couple of weeks. No big whup
    No doubt. Pretty greasy on the Cubs to do this, but smart as well from their perspective as far as business goes.

Owning Donaldson limits Bryant's spot on this roster, but will be a solid UTL guy for you for years.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I have a util and IF spot. So I'll toss him on IF. Thanks guys. If he is still on the board that's my first round pick.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I have a util and IF spot. So I'll toss him on IF. Thanks guys. If he is still on the board that's my first round pick.
    Bonus!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm in a VERY similar situation (in fact I came to this forum to post a similar question and found this thread. We only keep 6 players (4 hitters, 2 pitchers), plus 3 prospects. Due to a loophole in our pool, Bryant has not been scooped up as a prospect and is available to be drafted. My hitting keepers are Stanton, McCutchen, Rizzo, Cano. Other guys that are going to be available based on rankings I'm working with are Hanley (OF only), Dickerson, Braun, Frazier, Kipnis, Marte, Wong, Heyward, Fielder). I see this as a near no-brainer to take Bryant in the first round if he's available, given that he's likely the only guy who might replace any of my keepers heading into next year (i.e. Cano). I'm thinking he's worth the 2-week wait (seems like most think they'll bring him up right after that, but it's a risk). Thoughts?
    Redraft 12-team Roto with 1 waiver/day ($5), start 3 at each F position, 5 D, 1 rookie, 2 Goalies, 5 Reserves
    Player Cats = G,A,Pts,PIMs,+/- (PIMs worth 50%, and +/- worth 25% compared to the other player cats)
    Goalie Cats (worth half what player cats are) = W,GAA,S%,SO (SO worth 25% of what player cats are)
    C: Tavares,Thomas,Johnston,Lindholm(Res),Zacha(Res)
    LW: Robertson,Fiala,Svechnikov,Lafreniere(Res)
    RW: Nylander,Necas,Reinhart
    Rook: Knies,Carlsson(Res)
    D: Josi,Bouchard,Weegar,Forsling,Hanifin,Durzi(Res)
    G:Hellebuyck,Demko

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I forgot to mention that we also must roster one rookie hitter and pitcher in our starting lineup, making Bryant even more valuable (plus two at each IF position) - and none of my prospects are slated to make an MLB roster for some time (Sano, Correa) - meaning I need to draft a rookie. That's another reason why I think I'm further convincing myself to take Bryant before any of the other guys listed in my reply above. I'm probably falling victim to the hype myself, but my OFs are already off to a strong start, and his upside is off the charts.
    Redraft 12-team Roto with 1 waiver/day ($5), start 3 at each F position, 5 D, 1 rookie, 2 Goalies, 5 Reserves
    Player Cats = G,A,Pts,PIMs,+/- (PIMs worth 50%, and +/- worth 25% compared to the other player cats)
    Goalie Cats (worth half what player cats are) = W,GAA,S%,SO (SO worth 25% of what player cats are)
    C: Tavares,Thomas,Johnston,Lindholm(Res),Zacha(Res)
    LW: Robertson,Fiala,Svechnikov,Lafreniere(Res)
    RW: Nylander,Necas,Reinhart
    Rook: Knies,Carlsson(Res)
    D: Josi,Bouchard,Weegar,Forsling,Hanifin,Durzi(Res)
    G:Hellebuyck,Demko

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    No doubt. Pretty greasy on the Cubs to do this, but smart as well from their perspective as far as business goes.

Owning Donaldson limits Bryant's spot on this roster, but will be a solid UTL guy for you for years.
    By the Cubs keeping him down for 2 weeks, they get him for an extra year before he reaches free agency. Don't blame the Cubs. Blame the system. As a Cubs fan, I will be very angry if they succumb to pressure and let him start the year with the Cubs. But all things point to 3-4 weeks in the minors to start the season.

It is laughable how hypocritical Boras is when he talks about Bryant. He actually said how the Cubs would be doing an injustice to their fans if they don't start the year with Bryant in the bigs.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    By the Cubs keeping him down for 2 weeks, they get him for an extra year before he reaches free agency. Don't blame the Cubs. Blame the system. As a Cubs fan, I will be very angry if they succumb to pressure and let him start the year with the Cubs. But all things point to 3-4 weeks in the minors to start the season.

It is laughable how hypocritical Boras is when he talks about Bryant. He actually said how the Cubs would be doing an injustice to their fans if they don't start the year with Bryant in the bigs.
    Nothing Boras does or says surprises me. He's one of the best but also one of the most annoying player agents out there.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I would take him in your first round. I was taking him in the first round of our twelve team keep 5 league. I have since found out the guy two picks ahead of me will be taking him, thats two believers from my league. I find the power hard to ignore and harder to replace going forward. He may have some bumps in the road (minors ect) but to get strong keepers you have to take the bad stuff too.