Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Leafs "suspend" their best player for game vs Sabres

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Leafs "suspend" their best player for game vs Sabres

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    The fans should boycott the game and stay home.
    You hear this all the time and totally no disrespect to you kevin but.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yeah, any excuse they can find to lose another game. This is pathetic but I don't blame the team. It's should be obvious that this is a directive of the organization. No wonder the players have quit. At least the Oilers try.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Kadri, their best player? Come on. What has he done to warrant that statement?

If Kadri is their best player, then they're in bigger trouble than I though.

He leads the team in even strength points, plays the toughest minutes among forwards and drives possession better than anyone on the team. He isn't maybe their best player, he's their best player by a mile.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Yeah, any excuse they can find to lose another game. This is pathetic but I don't blame the team. It's should be obvious that this is a directive of the organization. No wonder the players have quit. At least the Oilers try.
    Thats right. The Leafs and Buffalo can learn a lot from the Oilers. Not very many teams can get the 1st overall pick 3 years in row and have another shot this year. Toronto and Buffalo only have three 1st overall picks between them in their combined histories. They should try harder like the Oilers.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thats right. The Leafs and Buffalo can learn a lot from the Oilers. Not very many teams can get the 1st overall pick 3 years in row and have another shot this year. Toronto and Buffalo only have three 1st overall picks between them in their combined histories. They should try harder like the Oilers.
    I sense some sarcasm and I'm not defending the Oilers but the Leafs clearly have a better recent track record of success. They were playing great until mid December and then it goes off the rails so quickly? Hmmm.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by James_tanner123 View Post
    He leads the team in even strength points, plays the toughest minutes among forwards and drives possession better than anyone on the team. He isn't maybe their best player, he's their best player by a mile.
    Fair enough. Numbers are numbers but at the same time, it really isn't that hard to be the best player on the Leafs this year and not exactly a great achievement. I would still take Kessel, JVR, and probably Bernier over Kadri anytime because they are difference makers, hence the teams poor season. Regardless of how well or poorly Kadri plays, he doesn't make or break the teams success, he just doesn't seem to have that kind of impact, hence again the teams poor season. I don't believe Kadri will be more than enigmatic 2nd liner throughout his career.

I have to wonder though, what the other factors were in the decision to suspend him for 3 games.

The Great One

Fair enough. Numbers are numbers but at the same time, it really isn't that hard to be the best player on the Leafs this year and not exactly a great achievement. I would still take Kessel, JVR, and probably Bernier over Kadri anytime because they are difference makers, hence the teams poor season. Regardless of how well or poorly Kadri plays, he doesn't make or break the teams success, he just doesn't seem to have that kind of impact, hence again the teams poor season. I don't believe Kadri will be more than enigmatic 2nd liner throughout his career.

I have to wonder though, what the other factors were in the decision to suspend him for 3 games.
    Hes the Ryan Johansen of the leafs. Better actually- dont ask why- just click more HW articles...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    I sense some sarcasm and I'm not defending the Oilers but the Leafs clearly have a better recent track record of success. They were playing great until mid December and then it goes off the rails so quickly? Hmmm.
    I see your Spidey senses are working well.

To be honest, I really believe what we saw in late November and early December were the real Leafs. IMO this was a very good team. They seemed to have all the parts. I'm talking about 4 good lines with the additions of Santorelli and Winnick. Booth and Holland were also good depth additions to the existing roster, including Clarkson. Reilly and Gardner needed to take the next step to give them a potent top 4. In goal, Bernier and Reimer are more than capable. So what was missing? 100%, leadership! I am not talking about a coach. I am talking about on the roster. This team totally lacks any leadership and is the sole reason the team is where they are. There is no stability in the dressing room. Stability that certain players need, to be their best. Carlyle was a good coach, but there is only so much a coach can do, unless your name is Mike Babcock of course, but he has always had leadership with the likes of Lidstrom and Zetterberg.

The Leafs need to find themselves a leader on the ice first, and a capable coach second. Btw, I am not a Leafs fan!

Dobber Sports Titan

If you go by all those advanced stats, I’m sure you would pick up Klingberg is a “Better” player than Karlsson. The people who say Kadri is the best Leaf are the same people pumping Kadri’s head with hot air that make him late for practice.

When Shanahan says there’s history with Kadri and asking his players not to comment on it, I don’t see it as a tank option. I see it as they wanted Kadri to clear his head and get a week off. He’s still practicing I think, so it’s not REALLY like a detox, but who knows.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll