Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Official Dobber Forum MLB Wins Pool

The Wolverine

Default Re: The Official Dobber Forum MLB Wins Pool

If we end up with 10 players (3 teams each so 3 round draft), I have a suggestion. We could do a snake for the first two rounds, but then another single random order generator for the third, in an attempt to make it more fair. If you just did a snake for all three rounds, then those at the bottom of the first have a significant disadvantage (e.g. 10/11/30, compared to 1/20/21). Or perhaps repeat the second round order (e.g. 1/20/30, compared to 10/11/21).

Thoughts?

I...am your father.

I'll do it, depending on when the draft is as I'll be away for a bit
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Administrator

Horrorfan, I've done the odd number of teams deal in both NFL and NBA and haven't found that drafting earlier in rounds 1 and 3 is a significant advantage. MLB might be a little bit different though. As an example, I won my pool from the #4 spot in a six-man draft for NFL this year. It's a lot more random though. The current run-away leader in my NBA six-person draft also drafted from the #4 spot.

The way I see it is in the 10-team option is there are positives and negatives to every position. You get a shot at the best team if you draft #1 but then you are locked into two below average teams after that so you have to nail that #1 pick. If you draft #10 you get two top-11 teams but don't get to pick your final team. That may or may not be good depending on how good we are all at drafting. I think that there are enough swings in baseball, even over the largest sample size in sports to mitigate any positives or negatives but that's just me.

To elaborate a little further, because baseball is a closed system where only a certain number of wins can be awarded the order of the draft and what pick would be rewarded the most differs depending on what kind of league it's going to be in any given year. In a year with a couple runaway favourites and complete sad sacks where there is a high disparity in the league then that would reward those picking earlier. However, in a league with few runaway favourites and no real sad sacks either that would favour more picking toward the end of the first round and you could narrow it down even further to specific slots in the draft and that assumes we all draft perfectly, which is unlikely.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Ahhh, a potential convert in the making. Best sport outside of hockey.
    Meeehhh.

I've followed the M's a bit the past couple seasons, mostly because Lookout Landing is incredible, but I don't love watching the sport.

For me [weighted playing and watching] it, uniquely, goes:

Hockey
    Football
    Quidditch
    Soccer
    Baseball
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Administrator

I haven't watched a complete baseball game in maybe a decade - whenever it was that Doc Halladay was still with the Jays. God awful sport to actually watch. I love reading about it so much though that it keeps me involved with the sport.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Horrorfan, I've done the odd number of teams deal in both NFL and NBA and haven't found that drafting earlier in rounds 1 and 3 is a significant advantage. MLB might be a little bit different though. As an example, I won my pool from the #4 spot in a six-man draft for NFL this year. It's a lot more random though. The current run-away leader in my NBA six-person draft also drafted from the #4 spot.

The way I see it is in the 10-team option is there are positives and negatives to every position. You get a shot at the best team if you draft #1 but then you are locked into two below average teams after that so you have to nail that #1 pick. If you draft #10 you get two top-11 teams but don't get to pick your final team. That may or may not be good depending on how good we are all at drafting. I think that there are enough swings in baseball, even over the largest sample size in sports to mitigate any positives or negatives but that's just me.

To elaborate a little further, because baseball is a closed system where only a certain number of wins can be awarded the order of the draft and what pick would be rewarded the most differs depending on what kind of league it's going to be in any given year. In a year with a couple runaway favourites and complete sad sacks where there is a high disparity in the league then that would reward those picking earlier. However, in a league with few runaway favourites and no real sad sacks either that would favour more picking toward the end of the first round and you could narrow it down even further to specific slots in the draft and that assumes we all draft perfectly, which is unlikely.
    Cool - yeah I understand and I guess we could see that. For example, Boston going from first in the division to last place last year. Who knows, they may get back up towards the top this year.

Will be fine no matter how it's done.

The Wolverine

Since moving to Scotland I have hardly seen any baseball, so pretty much just follow it online and from a few years ago, by playing in fantasy leagues.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Count me in

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    Meeehhh.

I've followed the M's a bit the past couple seasons, mostly because Lookout Landing is incredible, but I don't love watching the sport.

For me [weighted playing and watching] it, uniquely, goes:

Hockey
    Football
    Quidditch
    Soccer
    Baseball
    Ah well. Win some, lose some.

My viewing hierarchy:

Hockey
    Baseball

Nascar

Rugby
    Soccer

Football
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Ninja

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but as a guy who played baseball for 13 years, I think baseball is one of those games where in most cases, you have to have played it in order to appreciate watching it.

I can watch a pitcher's duel and just be in awe and on the edge of my seat while other people would fall asleep or change the channel.

Administrator

Well, we are up to 8, just waiting on two more to fill out Tier One.

The Wolverine

Just a bump in case you need more interest.

Administrator

Zorro contacted me to indicate that he is in. Up to 9. Looking for one more.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'll join if you still need somebody
    10 Team Yahoo H2H Keep 5 G, A, PPP, FOW, SOG, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    C,C,LW,LW,RW,RW,F,F,D,D,D,D,G,G,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN,IR+ ,IR+
    Keepers:
    Makar, J. Hughes, T. Meier, K. Connor, Ovechkin

Dobber Sports Ninja

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a weiner!