Thread: Keeper League Trade Deadline Targets Part One

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Keeper League Trade Deadline Targets Part One

If your keeper league is anything like mine, your trade deadline is just around the corner. Whether you are a playoff team looking for a push or you are already out of it and looking towards next year, there are options out there that should be easier to acquire than you think. In this two part piece, I am going to share some of the players I think are obtainable for a reasonable price and help you with whatever situation fits your need. In part one, we will look at possible targets for those teams making a push into the playoffs. In no particular order, I would try and look at the following players:

Curtis Glencross – I am pretty confident that Glencross’s days in Calgary are numbered. With UFA status looming, Glencross will be looking for a nice raise from his current cap hit of $2.55M and I am skeptical that Calgary will be willing to pay it. Glencross has a no trade clause in his current deal but I do believe he is willing to open the door to a contender, if the opportunity comes along. The Flames have already asked him for a list of teams he is willing to go to so that’s usually a good indication the ball is rolling. This could mean a nice push in fantasy value for the rugged winger for the remainder of this year at the very least. There will certainly be interest in a guy who’s a proven 20+ goal scorer and plays with an edge. He’s having a bit of an off-year, but could really turn the corner if he ends up on a contender.

Andrej Sekera – Much like Glencross, Sekera is another guy having a difficult year but is one of the better players out there who looks to benefit from a change in scenery. At 28, Sekera is coming into prime time for his career and is also looking for a new contract next year. Negotiations have already fallen through and it’s safe to say he’s on the move, and he’s a wanted man. The fact he’s having a down year offensively means he should be available for a relatively inexpensive hit for your fantasy team. His down year is thanks to a very low shooting percentage, but you can bet any team who gets him at the deadline will be looking for offense from him, and so should your fantasy team.

Zach Bogosian – Ever since the big trade that sent Bogosian and Evander Kane to Buffalo, Bogosian has been putting up some serious numbers in the hits, blocks and penalty minute categories. What Bogosian hasn’t been doing yet is offering any offense. It’s just a matter of time before this changes. The past few games, Bogosian has been playing some serious minutes for the Sabres, and finally getting some big time minutes on the power play as well (just over four minutes with the extra attacker on Sunday night alone). This guy is going to start to produce, and you will kick yourself if you aren’t chasing this guy down before he starts. Once he starts to produce offensively, you will have a hard time snagging him for most fantasy owners.

Chris Stewart – Stewart has been a trade acquisition favorite of mine for a few weeks now and I have seeked him out in most of my keepers. I don’t think it’s any secret that Buffalo has been shopping Stewart in real life for some time now and it’s just a matter of time before he’s moved. I am confident Stewart will hit the ground running when he finds a new team. When he was dealt to St. Louis from Colorado, he put up 15 goals and 23 points in the final 26 games with the Blues back in 2010-11. The guy can score and is a physical presence no matter where he plays. If Buffalo can move this guy, I can see him putting up some solid fantasy numbers for whatever team he goes to.

Milan Michalek – Ever since Dave Cameron put the line of Kyle Turris, Mark Stone and Milan Michalek together, not only has Kyle Turris found his scoring touch again, but it’s shot a bit of life back into Michalek as well. Michalek had been re-signed in the last off-season for three more years and to some, it was a bit of a surprise. I think GM Bryan Murray would certainly listen to offers for Michalek, but I doubt he is going anywhere. The best part for fantasy owners is that he’s finally scoring again. You may be able to get him relatively cheap as most fantasy owners will look at his age and injury history and be willing to part with him. This is your chance to snag him while he’s still flying below the radar to many. I think the line of Turris-Stone-Michalek will continue to produce for Cameron and surprise many fantasy owners.

Part Two to follow....
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I...am your father.

Default Re: Keeper League Trade Deadline Targets Part One

I think Glencross will fly, wherever he goes. Like Stempniak did when he was traded to Phoenix a few years ago. Sekera is touch and go - depends on where he ends up. But the talent is definitely there
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi