Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kadri, not just a 1st line centre, he's better than

Administrator

Default Re: Kadri, not just a 1st line centre, he's better than

I think that this assessment ignores the role of player development here. Both Kadri and Johansen have played a similar number of NHL games but those experiences were not the same. Johansen made the leap as a 19-year-old, Kadri, not until he was 20 and not until he had already completed four years of junior and half a year in the AHL. Johansen's debut came after two years of junior and no AHL time. So Kadri's early games are as more of a refined product.

Johansen makes a leap last season that surpasses whatever it is that Kadri is now. Pick a metric and Johansen outclasses Kadri over the past year and a half.

Points/60 - Johansen wins 1.93 to 1.75. You like Corsi% or Fenwick%, well Johansen's got him beat on those fronts as well.

Being able to grab Kadri's first couple of years when the dude was older and more experienced and using them in the context of where each player is now clouds the reality that Johansen has surpassed whatever it is that Kadri is at this point.

If you want to argue that Kadri is underrated, I can get behind that. The notion that he's as good or better than Johansen just doesn't hold water any longer. Johansen is two years younger than Kadri and still getting better. Kadri might also be improving but not at a rate that can keep up with Johansen.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by James_tanner123 View Post
    It is worth pointing that I used points, points per 60, Corsi and QOC in my comparison and kadri comes out favorably in all situations. I'm sure Johansen has a higher ceiling and is obviously bigger, but if you did a blind comparison of the two's stats up to this date (Johansen has the same amount of points in ten more career games) most people would choose Kadri as the superior player.... I am not an idiot, I realize this goes against convention but the whole point was to show the discrepancy between reputation and results.
    Using a blind comparison of statistics to come to conclusions in hockey is never a good idea... To get so invested into statistics that you miss the bigger picture is a fool's errand.

Furthermore, comparing statistics over an entire career to come to conclusions as to which hockey player is better right now doesn't make much sense either. The trend is key.

Finally, stating that one player has similiar pts/60 to other very good players is truly baseless, and really has no meaning behind it. It's like saying a mediocre car has the same gas mileage as two other higher end cars. So what? That's great. Doesn't mean in any way that the mediocre car is better than those others cars lol.

I will join in discussions that you post on the DH boards because I find that enjoyable, but I will no longer click on your links
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports All-Star

The fact that Kadri is age 24 and broke out 3 yrs ago while Johansen is age 22 and only broke out last season kind of skews any type of true career stat comparison.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It is worth pointing that I used points, points per 60, Corsi and QOC in my comparison and kadri comes out favorably in all situations. I'm sure Johansen has a higher ceiling and is obviously bigger, but if you did a blind comparison of the two's stats up to this date (Johansen has the same amount of points in ten more career games) most people would choose Kadri as the superior player.... I am not an idiot, I realize this goes against convention but the whole point was to show the discrepancy between reputation and results.
    Great job, using their entire careers as a comparison basis. That gives Kadri 2 more years of development over RyJo.

Last 2 seasons. Let's try that.

RyJo: 131 GP, 52 G, 56 A, 108 Points, 49.3 CF%, 1.93 Points/60

Kadri: 128 GP, 34 G, 44 A, 78 Points, 47.1 CF%, 1.75 Points/60

AAAAAANNNDDDD Kadri comes out favorably in no situations. And doing a blind comparison....Umm yep everyone would easily choose Johansen as the superior player. And it's not close.

This article isn't the discrepancy between reputation and results. It just shows the naivety and subjectivity of every single person in/who writes about Toronto. Reputation favors Johansen because the RESULTS significantly favor Johansen. The fact that you can't see that is absolutely hilarious. And is the part of the reason THW deserves absolutely zero clicks as a website, just as Eklund's does.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

These are fair points. It's not meant to be 100% true Kadri is better, but there is in my opinion enough there to warrent saying that Reputations play a huge role in how we view players. Also, Johansen was drafted only one year after kadri and if Kadri had of got the same points on the PP that Bozak did this year and last year, he'd be comparable to RJ in both years. This year for instance he'd have 3 points less - granted you think its fair to assume he'd get at least as many points playing with Kessel and JVR on the PP as Bozak did.

Dobber Sports Superstar

These are fair points. It's not meant to be 100% true Kadri is better, but there is in my opinion enough there to warrent saying that Reputations play a huge role in how we view players. Also, Johansen was drafted only one year after kadri and if Kadri had of got the same points on the PP that Bozak did this year and last year, he'd be comparable to RJ in both years. This year for instance he'd have 3 points less - granted you think its fair to assume he'd get at least as many points playing with Kessel and JVR on the PP as Bozak did.
    My advice to you would be that in the future you first post your articles here to get picked apart, before inflicting it upon an unsuspecting Internet.

Just my $0.02

RETIRED