Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones fans will have to wait...

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Game of Thrones fans will have to wait...

Wow... what brutal news.

As for the shows, I'm assuming they are covering books 4/5 concurrently, since the story within the books was written that way.
    If it was just Book 4 (Feast For Crows) there would be no mention of Jon Snow or Tyrion... as they aren't in that book. (aside from a very short Jon Snow sending off Sam to begin FFC).
    Show won't do that. I saw enough Tyrion in the trailer to know they'll be drawing from both 4(ffc)/5(adwd).

So... right now, it's the collective work in 4/5 that needs to be spread out as long as possible for the show writers.
    That will be tricky.
    Book 4 stunk (I agree)...
    And Book 5 (I'm currently around page 400) is better but still slow.

[HUGE difference between the first three books and the 4/5 - which were extensions of the story, IMO, as GRRM tries to figure out how to set-up his end-game]

My guess: The sixth book will be timed to come out perhaps two weeks prior to the show: March 2016.
    That will make for epic sales - as the reader faithful will want to gobble up the story before the shows go on air.
    Prediction: All-time record "first week sales" for a book when it is released.
    (Pengwin Bookmark)

Dobber Sports Wizard

He did write the first 3 books in a span of 4 years. So he has the ability to write quickly, he's just chosen not to use it for awhile haha.

I really have no idea what they're gonna do about the show. I get the feeling it's not going to make anyone happy.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    My guess: The book will be timed to come out with the show: March 2016.
    That would imply that they are sandwiching books 4 AND 5 into one single season (this upcoming one)... which is the complete opposite of what they did with book 3.

Like everyone else in hollywood right now, the producers are trying to milk this franchise like the fat cash cow that it is. I can't see them forgoing an entire season's worth of profit by combining the books into one season. If anything, I think it will be the opposite and they will continue on their current trajectory- which is splitting each book into 2 seasons. Believe me - they will find a way to stretch books 4 and 5 into as many episodes and seasons as possible.

This maximizes profit AND buys Martin more time to write the book.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    That would imply that they are sandwiching books 4 AND 5 into one single season (this upcoming one)... which is the complete opposite of what they did with book 3.

Like everyone else in hollywood right now, the producers are trying to milk this franchise like the fat cash cow that it is. I can't see them forgoing an entire season's worth of profit by combining the books into one season. If anything, I think it will be the opposite and they will continue on their current trajectory- which is splitting each book into 2 seasons. Believe me - they will find a way to stretch books 4 and 5 into as many episodes and seasons as possible.

This maximizes profit AND buys Martin more time to write the book.

I agree.
    I don't think March 2016 will be a TV season of Winds of Winter (book six)... I agree it will be 2nd half of books 4/5.
    I'm just saying I think he'll use the "hype train" to release at same time.

In the big picture, he won't knock out book 7 in one year.

Ideally (...ideally), the final book comes out a week before the final season starts.
    Best case, if GRRM gets on his horse and a few thousand Red Bull, is that March 2019 is "that final".
    Three years... he can do that... (wishful thinking).

And thus, yeah... Book 7 (WoW) would have to be split in two for spring 2017 & spring 2018.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    He did write the first 3 books in a span of 4 years. So he has the ability to write quickly, he's just chosen not to use it for awhile haha.
    He's stil writing a lot just not focused on these books...so frustrating. I wish he would just focus and get the books done but it seems like he has writer block with these books or too many ideas that he cant pick one.
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Ninja

Gotcha - misinterpreted your post. Yeah, definitely makes sense for the book debut to coincide with a new season... talk about hype!

Dobber Sports Padawan

remember they always can pull the history stuff "The World of Ice and Fire" to help fill in the backstory and fill more airtime (flashbacks maybe) to really extend any season.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I agree.
    I don't think March 2016 will be a TV season of Winds of Winter (book six)... I agree it will be 2nd half of books 4/5.
    I'm just saying I think he'll use the "hype train" to release at same time.

In the big picture, he won't knock out book 7 in one year.

Ideally (...ideally), the final book comes out a week before the final season starts.
    Best case, if GRRM gets on his horse and a few thousand Red Bull, is that March 2019 is "that final".
    Three years... he can do that... (wishful thinking).

And thus, yeah... Book 7 (WoW) would have to be split in two for spring 2017 & spring 2018.
    I like to the George also hesitated to push out more of the story so the directors of the show actually use ALL the content from his current books instead of cutting out a bunch of his work, giving him more influence and importance in the overall scheme of things....
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Wizard

The article actually says the 6th book is not on 2015's schedule yet, it doesn't say it's NOT coming out in 2015. After reading some of the comments, apparently for books 3 and 5 there was only 2 months between the time they were finished and the time they were on shelves. Book 4 only had 5 months. So all the article is saying is that as of right now the book isn't coming out in 2015, but that can still change if GRRM is hit by a sudden burst of inspiration.

Another thing that's being forgotten.....there have been talks of the series actually running 8 books long instead of 7. That would just screw everything haha.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Ninja

So all the article is saying is that as of right now the book isn't coming out in 2015, but that can still change if GRRM is hit by a sudden burst of inspiration.
    Now we're really reaching haha

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think I remember him saying he was about halfway done with the book a year or so ago. It's very possible he's only written 200 words since then, but then again if he really was halfway done a year ago there's still a chance we see it this year.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I loved this particular quote here:

""However, Johnson confirmed that The Winds of Winter, the next novel in the series that has been filmed by HBO as A Game of Thrones, is not in this year’s schedule. “I have no information on likely delivery,” she said. “These are increasingly complex books and require immense amounts of concentration to write. Fans really ought to appreciate that the length of these monsters is equivalent to two or three novels by other writers.”"

What complete and utter bullshlt. Martin doesn't miss a book signing, comicon, or fantasycon where he can pick up a tidy appearance fee. Go to his site and check out his travel/appearance schedule.

"Concentration" my @$$.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I loved this particular quote here:

""However, Johnson confirmed that The Winds of Winter, the next novel in the series that has been filmed by HBO as A Game of Thrones, is not in this year’s schedule. “I have no information on likely delivery,” she said. “These are increasingly complex books and require immense amounts of concentration to write. Fans really ought to appreciate that the length of these monsters is equivalent to two or three novels by other writers.”"

What complete and utter bullshlt. Martin doesn't miss a book signing, comicon, or fantasycon where he can pick up a tidy appearance fee. Go to his site and check out his travel/appearance schedule.

"Concentration" my @$$.
    Let's not forget the inordinate amount of time he must spend on his ass every night consuming skor bars and coke bottles.

The Great One

I was reading his books back then, way before the HBO hype train, and if I recall correctly, he had written a large portion of the first three books long before he eventually published them, so he had a big head start and that is largely why the books were released almost exactly two years apart.

I've been regularly reading Martin's blog for ~10 years and I have at times corresponded with him via email (though the last few years he has been too busy to reply to emails like he used to), and in all honesty I just get the sense that the scope of these books has gotten away from him a bit. At the beginning he had a clearer vision for the books and as he got well into the series, the story became more complex. Partially why these latest books are taking so long is because he has to ensure he isn't making any mistakes with so many concurrent storylines. Also, I have a feeling he has hit a bit of a mental block. People whine and complain about his "side projects" (novellas, his cinema, his football obsession, his book tours and interviews), but for anyone who has ever tried writing knows, the best way to break a mental block is to move away from the story and give your mind something fresh and different to focus on. I know I sound like a biased writer defending another, but the truth is that there is no way to write fast if the ideas just aren't coming to you. Martin could do us all a disservice and string together some words and ultimately publish an inferior novel, but he knows fans have huge expectations and he is too committed to this series to publish anything short of perfection.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Padawan

I wouldn't rule out anything. The article quotes GRRM saying he himself will announce when the book is done on his blog. Unless I'm missing something I don't even see where the publisher confirmed that 2015 is out of the question. She said "I have no information on likely delivery" that's hardly a confirmation of anything.