Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones fans will have to wait...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Game of Thrones fans will have to wait...

Till 2016 at the earliest... so disappointing.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...er-publication

Administrator

Default Re: Game of Thrones fans will have to wait...

This dude procrastinates harder than me in university.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Till 2016 at the earliest... so disappointing.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...er-publication
    I wasn't expecting it this year anyway. But what will the show do? I guess they're splitting Book 4 into two... so six books in seven seasons, but it doesn't look like the seventh book will be out in time for the eighth season
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I wasn't expecting it this year anyway. But what will the show do? I guess they're splitting Book 4 into two... so six books in seven seasons, but it doesn't look like the seventh book will be out in time for the eighth season
    My understanding was that the show wasn't going to do that many seasons. I could be wrong though. What do we have coming up here? Season five?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm not worried about the show... if they continue to split each book into 2 seasons (which I'm sure they will... cause everyone's doing that nowadays) then they have 4 seasons (years) worth of material.

I sure as hell hope they don't split Book 4 into 2 seasons... that one was a snooze fest. Book 5 on the other hand can easily be 2 seasons.

The Great One

This is my concern also. No one has come right out and said it (not to my knowledge anyway), but in various interviews done by Martin and the producers of the show, it has been suggested that if Martin isn't done the book by season eight, the show may go on without him. The fact is that if he isn't done the next book by season 8, they will likely have no choice but to carry on without him. Even if they split the next book into two seasons (season 8 and 9), by the time season 10 comes around, Martin will definitely not be done of his last book. At his current writing pace, it takes him at least 5 or 6 years to write a book. If he finishes his penultimate book sometime in 2016, he won't finish his final book until 2021 or 2022, and the TV series certainly can't wait that long.

Some have speculated that the TV show could go on hiatus for an extended period, but that has so many logistical issues that it really isn't likely. Actors and other staff are signed to contracts that don't run until 2020+, so if the story isn't wrapped up by then, there will be a slew of actors, etc. who will have to move on to other projects and won't necessarily be available when the show recommences. Not to mention that the child actors will age, which has already been an issue so far. They could re-cast certain roles, but that would truly be a shame.

Honestly, I don't see any way this doesn't become a huge issue in the future for both Martin and the network. At some point the author's artistic craft will be trumped by the network's budget priorities.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Sage

I worry that George is going to die before he finishes the series. He's old and rather overweight. I am still disappointed in William Manchester for dying and not finishing the third volume of his outstanding Churchill biography.

Dobber Sports Genius

Martin's brutally slow pace has all but killed my interest in the series. If he'd just have written the series to its conclusion first, instead of screwing around with other books and TV deals, this could have been a spectacular triumph. I know everyone is swimming in money, anyway, so it's a success to all involved, regardless, but it could have been so much more. Maybe he thought to strike while the iron was hot, but I'm sure it wouldn't have cooled down if he'd have just finished the series first. The TV deals and money would have been there for him later, too.

I'll continue to read the series, but with each book I forget more and more of the finer details, and I have better things to do than pour over Wikis between books to keep up on everything. I know I'm in the minority here, it's just such a shame to me.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I hate waiting on fat George as much as the next guy, but there's no way in hell the show should surpass the books (unless Martin dies of course).

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I hate waiting on fat George as much as the next guy, but there's no way in hell the show should surpass the books (unless Martin dies of course).
    although I completely agree, it has been made clear by all involved that Martin has already told the producers how the series is supposed to end (from his perspective) so that they have the choice to wrap the show up on their own if that is required.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

One thing the producers could do, and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes, is to take the show in a completely different direction with a completely different ending.

Then, they can wrap up the series without Martin, and Martin can finish his books when he wants without the ending being ruined for him (and his dedicated readers).

Somehow I think this is the only possible solution.

- - - Updated - - -

It would kind of be interesting to see two possible endings to the series play out (one on TV and a different one in the books).

Then we could all debate forever which ending was better.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    although I completely agree, it has been made clear by all involved that Martin has already told the producers how the series is supposed to end (from his perspective) so that they have the choice to wrap the show up on their own if that is required.
    translation: in the event he dies or becomes incapacitated

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    One thing the producers could do, and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes, is to take the show in a completely different direction with a completely different ending.

Then, they can wrap up the series without Martin, and Martin can finish his books when he wants without the ending being ruined for him (and his dedicated readers).

Somehow I think this is the only possible solution.

- - - Updated - - -

It would kind of be interesting to see two possible endings to the series play out (one on TV and a different one in the books).

Then we could all debate forever which ending was better.
    SeaDawg... you know I love you man, but that's the worst idea I've ever heard lol

Dobber Sports Ninja

Speaking of GOT... the season 5 trailer just got leaked.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The show will surpass the books, I'm sure of it. The time it's taking him to finish these finals books is just too slow for the show - they have to keep moving forward every year. And considering how much he likes subverting expectations, I think he's actually going to enjoy having a show surpass its source material because that never happens...he'll delight in it working backwards for GoT.

The Great One

SeaDawg... you know I love you man, but that's the worst idea I've ever heard lol
    Trust me, I hate the idea too. But the more I think about it, that is the only possible outcome I can see happening at this point.

Other options:

1 - Martin finishes all the books in time (not likely)
    2 - They just cancel the series without concluding it (not likely)
    3 - They wrap up the series to the intended conclusion without Martin's books being done (possible, but Martin's fans would go nuts; talk about a MAJOR spoiler).
    4 - They put the show on hiatus for 4 or 5 years until Martin catches up to them (not likely given the points I raised before).
    5 - They finish the TV series once they catch up to Martin's books and then wrap up the entire series years from now when Martin is done the books with a "made-for-TV" movie (with some new cast members and a largely new cinematic staff, because most will have moved on).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap